U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,574 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am moving to NDSU, Fargo to start my graduate studies. My professor offered me $16,000 a year and tuition waiver to help me settle down in Fargo. I would like to know whether these fundings are sufficient for a foreigner to live in Fargo. I heard it is very cold in winter, is there any heating facilities accessible to students in NDSU? Is there anything I should take care before I come to Fargo?

I would be grateful if any one could give me some suggestions? Cheers!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,898,363 times
NDSU is a great school to study at. I assume if you live simply, rent + food that $16,000 can last you a year no problem. I believe that is for a teaching assistantship correct? You can always try a research assistantship as well, if you need more for example a car. All the buildings are heated of course, but it does get rather cold and icy in the winters, bring a good coat. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I don't worry too much about the cold weather if there is not too much wind. $16,000 is actually the RA salary, but it will grow a few years later. It seems that Fargo is a good place to live--quiet, low crime rate, less polluted--when compared to cities along the east coastal line. Thanks for your advice, I will look and see others things like sports and recreation in Fargos from this forum. BTW, this site is really cool!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM

162 posts, read 485,225 times
You should be fine on $16,000 a year if you manage your money right. I make only slightly more than that and have money to spare each month.

You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment for about $450 a month. Some apartments have your already heat paid for, which saves you about $50 a month. So if you take $450 x 12 months, that's $5,400, leaving you over $10,000 a year for food, necessities and utilities like electric, phone, and cable TV.

As for the weather, yes it does get quite cold in the winter, but you just have to dress right and you will be okay. Make sure you have a hat, gloves, boots, and a heavy coat. It does get windy, but not every day. A lot of the windy days come with the changing of seasons in Spring and Autumn.

Fargo is very safe and clean. It is a busy town where people come for events, jobs, and to shop. It is also becoming much more diverse than it used to be.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM

405 posts, read 1,172,256 times
I agree with everything stated above here. But I do have a question? Will you be allowed on campus housing? If not...there is a good chance you can qualify for either a reduction on your electricity or have it completely covered. However, that is something that you want to look into ASAP as there is a long waiting list. It would however, be worth the wait. ALSO..try googling housing assistance in ND. Again you have to qualify for it and there is a waiting list but I really think at $16,000 you would qualify as long as you aren't married.
ND is a great place to live..but verry windy. That is the reason we ARE so cold.
NDSU is a wonderful school! I graduated last fall and wouldnt have gone anywhere else. I assume you will have an office so youll have all the internet and phone access you will need.
I am actually in the process of moving out of state for employment and there is one thing that REALLY stood out to me. Here in ND when you rent an apartment about all you are required to pay for is electricity, with runs me $25/month for a 900sq ft 2 bedroom apartment. However..outside ND you have to pay water/sewer/trash which is like another $30 AND electric or gas. SO! If that is what you're used to outside ND..youll be in for a pleaseant surprise! Youll be able to get plenty of breaks if you seek them out!
Anyway...feel free to private message me if you have more questions as I don't generally visit the ND blog anymore.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Thanks for your reply. It's really kind of you to tell me what to do. I will check out the information as you suggested.

All the best of luck to you too :-)

Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 AM

37 posts, read 142,692 times
if you live close to NDSU rent gets more expensive but you can save money if you don't need a car, taxi's are cheap with an NDSU ID card. winters cold, it does get windy and icy, summers are hot and sometimes humid. terrain is flat. waters wet. sun rises in the east, sets in the west. crime is low, you can feel safe walking around downtown at night. lots of bars and shopping places to pass the time. fargo is the largest city in the area and draws people in from the surround areas, theres lots of activities depending on your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or