U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,193 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

Well, we have secured our employment in Fargo (actually, wife will be in Moorhead), and now having a challenge with housing. The problem seems to be finding a resource for locating house rentals versus apartment rentals. Apartments are plentiful and in abundance, but we are trying to locate a home.

We have searched the local newspaper online and even posted an ad on Craigslist, but having little luck. For those that may have something our post can be seen here for what we are looking for-

Small Family Relocating To Fargo Area- Great Tenants! (http://fargo.craigslist.org/hou/1015491648.html - broken link)

Can anyone that frequents the forums here point us in the direction of a local resource out there? Or is rental housing a very, very small market?

We have researched: Coldwell Banker, Inforum, and a couple of property management places that we could locate online. Sadly, they are mostly apartment driven.

Thanks for any help you have!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,097,465 times
Hi

I keep in touch with local Grand Forks housing market (just an interest of mine as I am not in the housing industry). Fargo I know less about...but I do know both cities housing rentals are usually offered through property management companies. But single family housing to rent is quite rare and hard to come by with few listings. Townhomes, duplexes are much easier to find for rent. In forum classified would be my first choice as well as the property management places you likely found. Maybe someone in Fargo can mention some as I am not familiar with the companies down there. My best advice would be to contact one of the property management places or even a real estate office and mention you want to rent a home (I assume a SFH) and let them guide you. But I am afraid there may not be a lot to choose from.

I hope others have better advice. Good luck

Dan

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,193 times
Thanks for the reply, Dan.

Yes, we are most interested in a detached single family. Although we are also alright with a duplex/townhouse type arrangement.

The Inforum paper has had a few resources, but like I said they mostly lean towards apartment complexes. I think we may end up having to contact realtors to see what offerings they have.

We like the older neighborhoods with mature landscaping, but that seems to be even more the challenge than just a single family period.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briquewest View Post
Thanks for the reply, Dan.

Yes, we are most interested in a detached single family. Although we are also alright with a duplex/townhouse type arrangement.

The Inforum paper has had a few resources, but like I said they mostly lean towards apartment complexes. I think we may end up having to contact realtors to see what offerings they have.

We like the older neighborhoods with mature landscaping, but that seems to be even more the challenge than just a single family period.

Thanks again for your help!

If you check the classifieds try the Sunday ones as they have the most property listings.... but my experience having moved here about 10 years ago is that SFH for rent are very limited. I have seen some locally that people post in their yards...and may not list.

If finding a housing rental doesnt work out...might have to go the townhouse or apartment rental route until you can check out the area more. Plus this time of year (winter) is a very slow time in the market overall with not many people moving, etc until Spring. So SFH rental situation might pick up come April.

Dan

Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

418 posts, read 1,186,972 times
Dan is right in that there are very few houses to rent in FM. I know that one of the real estate companies in town does provide property management for home rentals. Given this last year's real estate market, there even have been a few ads for spec-built homes for rent. You may want to contact the Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead for more leads in that direction.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 AM

14 posts, read 40,213 times
We definitely have homes here for rent with all the college students but Fargo is big on apartments... they seem to build a new complex every day. Most rental homes are rented out by individuals as far as I know, usually who own several properties and rent them all out with yard signs or ads in The Forum. I don't know how the market is where you're from but the rent on a home in this area is just as much if not more than a mortgage payment would be in many cases. If you are willing to make a commitment on purchasing a home right away that might be the way to go.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM

246 posts, read 904,667 times
rent on a home should be more than the cost to own a home when we stick to fundamentals (20% down, no ninja loans, etc), or, we end up in a situation like CA is at now. People buying homes for multiple times more than what it cost to rent. When the music stopped, we got where we are at now.

I haven't seen much houses for rent out here. Good thing though, LOTS of apartment choices with lots of room options. I would personally come up here first and do a short lease, 3 - 6 months or month to month so you can get your feet wet in the area (right now, literally) and see where is a good place you wnat to rent in. And who knows, if you like it, buy a home.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
Default movin' to east grand forks

HI!
My family and I will be moving to East Grand Forks in the summertime.
I will be looking to be moving in by July.

I'm looking to rent a house or half double. I will be needing a 3 or 4
bedroom with more than one bath. Also, a washer and dryer would
be great.

I'm having a great amount of trouble locating houses. I have found
alot of apartments but, keep comin' up with 0 for houses.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be so much
appericted. It seems like I'm spending hours doing different types
of searches and coming up empty.

Help, please someone. : )

Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'north View Post
HI!
My family and I will be moving to East Grand Forks in the summertime.
I will be looking to be moving in by July.

I'm looking to rent a house or half double. I will be needing a 3 or 4
bedroom with more than one bath. Also, a washer and dryer would
be great.

I'm having a great amount of trouble locating houses. I have found
alot of apartments but, keep comin' up with 0 for houses.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be so much
appericted. It seems like I'm spending hours doing different types
of searches and coming up empty.

Help, please someone. : )

Hi I live in East Grand Forks (by the schools on the south end) and rental single family houses are very very rare. There arent many apartments for that matter. Rental housing in Grand Forks too is pretty rare for single family homes (with the few avbl being the smaller older ones). Rental townhomes/duplex are more avbl. For renting...you might have to live in the ND side just due to more options avbl in a bigger town.

You will not find many national web search sites helpful up here. If there are rental single family housing or duplex/townhomes out there most owners will go through a property management company. Same goes for apartments too.

Here are some links to the main players in town in terms of having any houses/duplexes/townhomes avbl.

Alerus Financial Property Management Web :: Alerus Financial Property Management

Elite Property Management, LLC

Also try the Grand Forks Herald classifieds on line....check for houses and duplexes. You have to register to use the
web site but it is free at least. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/classifieds/

This will lead you in the right direction...call one of these places and see if they can help you locate something....EGF would be hard...GF better chance.

Good luck

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo