U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 19,538 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Fargo from California and do not have a winter wardrobe. Need help to decide how to build a basic quality wardrobe for the winters. I've tried to research online but all the winter coats terminology is over-whelming!!! Is fleece good enough for inner wear? What is a good way to layer for below 0 and 10-20 mph winds? Do I need to buy a parka, an outer shell, Any specific brands and advice?

How much should I budget for the clothes (socks, shoes, jackets, thermals, hats, beanies, jacket etc...it all adds up pretty quick!)?

Thanks for your help.

A

p.s: Please be detailed in your response, I am quite a newbie when it comes to winter clothes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,012,760 times
If you're the the type that is going to make snowmen and snow angels every day you may want to buy everything.

If you're like most city people......the only time you will be outside is when you are walking to and from your car. A decent, nothing fancy, jacket and gloves will be fine. If you're not worried about your hair a hat will come in handy. I always wore silk long johns/long underwear under my pants.

Don't get me wrong. It is COLD. The best "cold weather" investment you can make is a car starter. That way your car will always be warm etc.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRF View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Fargo from California and do not have a winter wardrobe. Need help to decide how to build a basic quality wardrobe for the winters. I've tried to research online but all the winter coats terminology is over-whelming!!! Is fleece good enough for inner wear? What is a good way to layer for below 0 and 10-20 mph winds? Do I need to buy a parka, an outer shell, Any specific brands and advice?

How much should I budget for the clothes (socks, shoes, jackets, thermals, hats, beanies, jacket etc...it all adds up pretty quick!)?

Thanks for your help.

p.s: Please be detailed in your response, I am quite a newbie when it comes to winter clothes!

Hi and welcome...

I would first say what to get and wear would highly depend on the amount of time you expect to be outdoors job-wise. I you or any family member has a job where time will be spend outdoors during the winter then that would alter my advice and you would have to pack up long johns, etc. But if you are an average person (or family) where most of your experience will be just running to/from the car to inside warmth...then here is what I and most people I know at work wear.

Columbia brand or North Face brand (I think that is the name) are two of the most common brands of winter coats I see most people wear. I would recommend one with fleece on the inside and an outer water repellent shell. This type of coat is made so that you can un-zip the fleece and just wear that or just wear the lighter water repellent one for not so cold weather. Cost 150-200....can get them on sale especially just before the winter season and especially in late winter before spring merchandise arrives.

Several pairs of good gloves are a must....one lighter pair for everyday and one thicker warmer pair for outdoor time (i.e. shoveling, snowblowing, sledding). A good hat or two is also a must...one that covers the ears....and some people get face masks that cover all the face but the eyes and mouth and/or a scarf or other variety of items that cover the mouth and nose.
Ears and the tips of fingers are the first to get cold so dont skimp on things here. These arent costly...but hesistant to give you a price....good pair of gloves and hat maybe 30-40 dollars.

Good boots are also needed....again dependent on time you will spend outdoors. If you will live in a place where you will shovel your driveway/walkway then winter boots are a must to keep your feet warm. Sorel boots are very well liked and very warm and made in Canada. They can be expensive....well over 100 dollars but exact costs I dont know. I have a pair for really cold weather or when I must snowblow the driveway after a deep snow. Otherwise....regular hiking type shoes or plain tennis shoes
are worn very frequently day to day. Many people may wear boots to work then remove them and wear regular shoes at work. This is more personal preference. I have a pair of thicker socks for outside...but if you have a good quality boot wearing normal socks are just fine.

That is the basics... I do have a pair or snow/ski pants and a snow/ski "bib" which I wear at times sledding or removing snow. These can be put over regular pants and shirts to keep yourself warm and dry when playing in the snow.

That is what is in our family winter wardrobe. Once you get a good quality coat it will last several years same with boots, gloves and hat. So usually this is not stuff you will buy new each year unless you want a change of fashion.

Now...I personally tolerate cold more than many people I know....so depending on how your body tolerates the cold you may need more.

Dan

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

50 posts, read 200,596 times
I moved to ND in September from Oklahoma -- basically going from the extreme heat and humidity to the very cold. Want to hear something odd? I've yet to break out the heavy winter coat. I wear a heavy-duty hoodie, gloves, and regular hiking boots. Of course, I don't have to be outside much beyond going to the car (no garage) and occasional shoveling.

Yes, it's cold here, but nothing you can't deal with even without wearing the heavy-duty winter gear unless you spend a good amount of time outside. Hope you find the right combination for your needs.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM

108 posts, read 401,796 times
It's true that for the most part, even in bitter cold you probably won't NEED extreme cold weather gear. I often am only wearing an insulated flannel even when it is -20 but I am only going from a warm house/store to a warm vehicle. That being said in my vehicle I have a couple of blankets, my old army parka and arctic gloves on top of the normal winter survival kit. You don't need to spend a lot of money on fancy winter clothes unless like someone said, you plan on being outdoors for hours on end no matter what the weather, but you should spend a few bucks at an army surplus or thrift store on a few items in case of emergency. These do not have to be fancy or "in style" cause if it comes down to life or death it is more important to have the gear when you need it instead of not having the right gear in favor of fashion.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM

50 posts, read 155,621 times
I'm from California too... We get so cold. Someone bought me a down jacket and that is pretty warm. Warm, insulated gloves are a must! You're still gonna have to scrape the ice off your windshield and your fingers will get cold very fast! Also, keeping your ears covered in extreme cold is important. I rarely go out without a good scarf too.

Boots... Even if you have a car starter (which we don't), you are gonna have to walk in all this snow and ice, so snow boots are a must. Just make sure they are good in subzero weather for those exceptionally cold days.

You can never have enough gloves, hats, scarves, etc...

But... we are a little acclimated now. In 30 degrees, we don't think it's cold anymore. LOL That is when I wear my not-as-warm jacket, although still a winter jacket by California standards. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 PM

177 posts, read 591,389 times
Not being or never been to ND, if you ever break down in your car out in the middle of nowhere you better be prepared.

I can't imagine freezing to death!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM

43 posts, read 180,308 times
After a winter here, you'll be out running in shorts and a sweatshirt (optional) when its above ~40 degrees.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldfuse View Post
After a winter here, you'll be out running in shorts and a sweatshirt (optional) when its above ~40 degrees.
Guaranteed.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 33,947 times
yep, true-above 30 feels warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or