U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 14,063 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am moving to take a job in fargo. we are looking for a small town within an hour drive of fargo. Fergus falls has been mentioned, any suggestions, we have alot of animals and would like a 3 bedroom home. are there tax benefits to ND or MINN? I would appreciate any information need to be moved in by late august.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 AM

325 posts, read 1,397,042 times
Personal income tax
North Dakota collects income taxes from its residents utilizing five tax brackets.

For single taxpayers:
-- 2.1 percent on the first $32,550 of taxable income
-- 3.92 percent on taxable income between $32,551 and $78,850
-- 4.34 percent on taxable income between $78,851 and $164,550
-- 5.04 percent on taxable income between $164,551 and $357,700
-- 5.54 percent on taxable income of $357,701 and above.

For married persons filing joint returns:
-- 2.1 percent on the first $54,400 of taxable income
-- 3.92 percent on taxable income between 54,401 and $131,450
-- 4.34 percent on taxable income between $131,451 and $200,400
-- 5.04 percent on taxable income between $200,400 and $357,700
-- 5.54 percent on taxable income of $357,701 and above.
North Dakota's sales tax rate is 5 percent.
Local subdivisions are also allowed to levy a sales and use tax. This tax rate generally ranges from 1 percent to 3 percent.
Taxpayers may be eligible for a refund of some local sales taxes they paid by filing a claim for refund. More information on the refund can be found on the sales tax newsletter, released by the state's Office of State Tax Commissioner

Minnesota collects income taxes from its residents utilizing three tax brackets.

For single taxpayers:
-- 5.35 percent on the first $21,800 of taxable income
-- 7.05 percent on taxable income between $21,801 and $71,590
-- 7.85 percent on taxable income of $71,591 and above.

For married couples filing jointly:
-- 5.35 percent on the first $31,860 of taxable income
-- 7.05 percent on taxable income between $31,861 and $126,580
-- 7.85 percent on taxable income of $126,581 and above.
The sales tax in Minnesota for most items is 6.5 percent. The rate is scheduled to increase on July 1, 2009, to 6.875 percent.
Minnesota's state tax department also administers sales tax for several local governments. Updates of local sales tax rates are posted on the state's Revenue Web site.
The state also imposes a use tax on items purchased elsewhere but used within Minnesota.

Also, presently ND is running about a 1.5 Billion dollar state surplus that the politicals are arguing on how to give back to the ND taxpayer, where Minnesota is in lots of Red ink.

Wife and I will be moving back home (ND) in April (Lake Metigoshe)......
Good Luck!!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
On the ND side, many people drive in from Mapleton, Casselton, Kindred, Leonard, Gardner, etc. Nearby small towns would be Horace, Harwood, and Oxbow. If you don't want your small town or rural area to be annexed by either Fargo or West Fargo, you may want to be farther out than those three.
On the MN side, many, many people drive in from the Lakes area--anything from Lake Park to Detroit Lakes to Pelican Rapids. Other possibilities, without lakes, are Hawley, Barnesville, Rothsay, and Wolverton.
There are a lot of places to choose from.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 51,329 times
You mentioned having lots of animals. There's a big vet's office in Casselton, which is about 25 miles away. I know people who drive there from Fargo to take their pets to the vet.
I'll warn you, though: I heard a story about some vet techs they hired who accidentally gave two cats too much anesthetic and killed them a couple of years ago. Other than that, everything I've heard has been good. Just FYI.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 64,860 times
Default Moving to the Fargo Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcargill View Post
Hello All,
I am moving to take a job in fargo. we are looking for a small town within an hour drive of fargo. Fergus falls has been mentioned, any suggestions, we have alot of animals and would like a 3 bedroom home. are there tax benefits to ND or MINN? I would appreciate any information need to be moved in by late august.
If you will be working in Fargo, why do you want to drive for an hour to get there? There are plenty of places half that far that are great. An hour away will give you very many options. With lots of animals, depending on what they are, you will need some acres, the required amount which vary with County, Township and City ordinances.
For lots of information, check out www.Fargohomes.com.
Lots of links with information you might find helpful.
ND vs MN taxes-income and property. Homebuying information and MLS listings. ETC.
My husband and I work at our Residental Real Estate business; Fargohomes.com. We are glad to help with no obligation.
Check it out . Good Luck
Lida

Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM

9 posts, read 64,860 times
Default OOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIDA DEUTSCH View Post
If you will be working in Fargo, why do you want to drive for an hour to get there? There are plenty of places half that far that are great. An hour away will give you very many options. With lots of animals, depending on what they are, you will need some acres, the required amount which vary with County, Township and City ordinances.
For lots of information, check out www.Fargohomes.com.
Lots of links with information you might find helpful.
ND vs MN taxes-income and property. Homebuying
information and MLS listings. ETC.
My husband and I work at our Residental Real Estate business; Fargohomes.com. We are glad to help with no obligation.
Check it out . Good Luck
Lida
OOPS,
I have been made aware that I may be doing Real Estate Advertising. Sorry about that. I will be more careful. Thanks for letting me know. LD

Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,479,292 times
I in-laws in Hillsboro, and they love it.
Apparently Hawley, Minn., is aggresive in trying to lure people away from Fargo.
Hawley, Minnesota; Hawley would be a great place to live and work! Near Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota 56549 - Hawley wood, Hawleywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or