U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM

2,769 posts, read 4,086,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I just wanted to say, in regards to jobs...I have found the pay to be MUCH lower here. Im here staffed through an agency, so I am getting a "big-city" wage, but after applying to a couple jobs (I have been thinking about staying) I have been discouraged by offers of 27-29K. That is too much of a pay drop to consider it. I dont understand why the pay in Fargo is so low, especially with employers saying that they can not find people.
At least this state has jobs. The fact that wages might be higher elsewhere is irrelevant if there aren't any job openings or if there are 1000 applicants per position.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pay is low due the a huge pool of younger people that employers in Fargo can draw from due to North Dakota State University being a sizable presence. Also, Fargo is in a Right to Work and a rural state so one would expect wages and salaries to be lower well outside the oil patch.
The other big problem is that when it comes to knowledge-based jobs that require a college education, this state has a relatively low amount of them and nothing like what you might find in a large city (like Chicago), which means that even though the state only has two significant universities, they produce more than enough graduates to meet the state's needs.

Nationwide we're producing far more college graduates than there are white collar knowledge-based jobs that require a college education anyway. Also, those jobs are heavily sought after by people on a national basis, so the competition for them isn't just coming from Fargo and North Dakota, but also from people in other states who are eying the North Dakota job market.

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,126,332 times
I can only speak from my experience and thoughts.

I have yet to see a career level job in this town offering $7.50 an hour, but I’m not looking for McJobs either. When the cost of living is taken into account, I have found the wages for certain positions here to be the same or better than what is currently offered in Sacramento, CA. That’s assuming you can get a job in Sacramento. I moved here because the choice between working and not working is not much of a choice at all.

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM

The cost of living in the Fargo area is definitely a big plus. You might not have big city wages, but you won't have big city expenses (and crime and traffic congestion and long commuting distances) either.

Unread 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 28,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
The tone among the chamber of Commerce in FM and the Greater FM Economic Development Authority has changed somewhat in recent years toward recruiting firms that offer professional level positions. However, previous to that for many years, the business community's advertising slogan to out of state companies was "Selling $7.50"--they promoted the fact that there would be 100+ applicants for a $7.50/hr hour FT job. And many times, they were right.

They sold us all short.
Underemployment remains a HUGE issue in Fargo-Moorhead that doesn't ever show up in the glossy relocation brochures.
Does under employment refer to people jobs they are tecnically over qualified for?...I am starting to wonder if the only people who are able to move to ND for the thriving job market are somehow employed by the oil industry?..All the new coverage seem to leave that part out...make it out as though ND just needs skilled, educated, and experienced workers in all industries.

Unread 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM

371 posts, read 637,340 times
Not necessarily over-educated but often less than full-time, no benefits, and not a professional wage for those who are college educated.
For example, there is a library in the region that is advertising an opening which requires a bachelors degree, working every Saturday, designing all storytimes and public programs for a branch and is the sole person in charge of a public facility.
Salary? $11.05 an hour.
Yes, there are many recent college graduates in town; many of them are working two jobs to meet rent and student loans. In fact, if I'm reading the Census Bureau's site correctly (American Fact Finder 2010 SELECTED CHARACTERISTICS OF PEOPLE AT SPECIFIED LEVELS OF POVERTY IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS), 9.1% of adults at poverty level have some college, another 4% have completed bachelor's degrees.
Yes, the oil money brings a radical shift in income for general labor/skilled labor in the west side of the state.
But up until the great recession of 2008, the conventional wisdom was that an entry level accountant could clear an additional $20-40K in salary by working in the Twin Cities rather than staying in Fargo. Now unemployment has changed that situation--those jobs just aren't available elsewhere anymore.

There had been a poster on this board earlier (an engineer who grew up in Mandan and was working in New Jersey at the time) who ran numbers on cost of living. Many people disagreed with him regarding quality of life issues, but some of his facts about comparatively low salaries & wages stand.

Unread 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM

^^

Well you can always do what California did offer $18.00 an hour plus a healthly retirement for that same position and wonder why your city, county or state is broke. A BA is the new high school diploma and it don't matter if you're in North Dakota or New York.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM

My update:

I resigned last week from my job, but the good news is I landed another career level job with a well-respected employer here in Fargo. The new job offer gave me a company car, gas card, generous per diem, health and dental insurance, partial clothing allowance and two weeks vacation. If you’re only making $22k a year in Fargo you’re doing something wrong or you don’t have the skills employers are looking for.

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM

461 posts, read 552,309 times
If you are willing to do manual labor, or work in a factory/ wearhouse you will make a decent wage, somehwhere in the 14-18 range for entry level. Caterpillar is always hiring. Everyone I know in Fargo is making good money, but most of us were brought in from out of state to help out with strikes/backlogs for various companies.

Fargo feels isolated at first, but that feeling wears off after awhile. There is a decent night life here too, but with the influx of people from everywhere, it can start to feel less "multi-cultural" and more like "Babylon"

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 841 times
Fargo is a wonderful college town with a stellar economy, great shopping, friendly people and surprisingly lively culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo