U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 AM

37 posts, read 46,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
I love the cold and I think it's refreshing so I'm a little biased. Most people in cold winter cities drive everywhere and only spend small amounts of time outside anyways so it's not a big deal. People will be in warm buildings the vast majority of the time. If you can handle Chicago you can handle Fargo. There might be numerical differences in the average winter temperatures between Fargo and some other cold places like Chicago but once it gets down to those really cold temps you don't really notice the difference. I've been to many cold cities in the Winter like Chicago, NYC, Cleveland, etc and the cold didn't 'feel' much different from ND.
hate to bring up an old post but i am laughing when ppl are comparing chicago winter to fargo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Fargo sucks. Period.
I lived there for 4 years and it was the most horrible, depressing place I've ever lived.

Winter:
Winter lasts about 9 months (seriously).

Cost of Living:
People who live in Fargo will tell you about how low the cost of living is. They are wrong. Most of them have never lived outside of ND, so they have no idea.

Jobs:
Good luck finding a job that pays more than 12.00 an hour.

People:
The people are rude and stuck up. Good luck breaking into any social circles if you are not from the area.

Nightlife:
Fargo does have an abundance of alcoholics and it's fairly acceptable to roll into work every morning smelling like booze. There is absolutely nothing to do but drink in this town.

Moving away from that area was the best thing that ever happened to me. The long winters were giving me depression problems and the people were fairly uneducated and xenophobic.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Overall I find the people in Fargo to be pleasant and tolerant. There is a fairly large Muslim Population and we get along well there with the majority non-Muslims. I live about 100 miles from Fargo but go to the VA hospital nearly every week and do most of my shopping there. I find a good 99% of the people to be outgoing and friendly. But, I am not into partying and nightclubbing etc. So can not speak about the night life, that is of no interest to me.

I have lived in a few fair sized cities, NYC, New Orleans, Dallas, Austin, Hartford CT, Shreveport LA I much prefer Fargo over them. Then again I'm a country boy and prefer farm life over city life.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM

87 posts, read 160,900 times
I agree with lexdechris....lol....single male living in Fargo as a tranplant....yikes......no way, I was out of there in one year flat years ago.....I thought people also were very prudish, standoffish, outwardly suspicious and cold. Very xenophobic in Fargo.....would never go back.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,737,784 times
I’ve been in Fargo just over a year now. These are my thoughts on the area thus far.

Pros:

It was easy for me to find a professional level job with great pay.
The summer weather is awesome. There’s a lot more variety than my hometown in California.
The cost of living is differently a lot cheaper than the Sacramento metro.
The lakes and outdoor recreation is close by.

Cons:

The snow and cold temps. I knew this coming so it is, what it is.
The area does have what I perceive to be an unhealthy obsession with alcohol and tobacco.
I have found a “number” of the women have a snotty attitude in the Fargo metro. It’s hard to describe, but the attitude here is just down right unhealthy and rotten. It’s night and day difference over other towns in North and South Dakota.

Conclusion:

I can’t say that Fargo is for the long term, but so far the area has been good to me.

Advice for others looking to relocate:

Dress warm
Don’t count on a weather forecast.
Work, work and work. People in this area know how to work and don’t care for whiners.
Bring your own girlfriend
Don’t show up with felonies and bad credit and expect the welcome wagon to throw you the key for nice accommodations and job.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Iíve been in Fargo just over a year now. These are my thoughts on the area thus far.

Pros:

It was easy for me to find a professional level job with great pay.
The summer weather is awesome. Thereís a lot more variety than my hometown in California.
The cost of living is differently a lot cheaper than the Sacramento metro.
The lakes and outdoor recreation is close by.

Cons:

The snow and cold temps. I knew this coming so it is, what it is.
The area does have what I perceive to be an unhealthy obsession with alcohol and tobacco.
I have found a ďnumberĒ of the women have a snotty attitude in the Fargo metro. Itís hard to describe, but the attitude here is just down right unhealthy and rotten. Itís night and day difference over other towns in North and South Dakota.

Conclusion:

I canít say that Fargo is for the long term, but so far the area has been good to me.

Advice for others looking to relocate:

Dress warm
Donít count on a weather forecast.
Work, work and work. People in this area know how to work and donít care for whiners.
Bring your own girlfriend
Donít show up with felonies and bad credit and expect the welcome wagon to throw you the key for nice accommodations and job.
I do agree the weather is very changeable...but the forecasts we do are pretty accurate. There are always surprises in the plains....but a storm like this one today was known about 5 days out. And we do well with severe weather warnings as well....so want people to take them seriously. But it is also about where the person gets the weather information....if you get it from a wrong source it may be wrong from what they said....but not from what was actually forecast. I.E. I have known many a FM radio stations butcher a forecast. The TV mets in Fargo do a great job.....and we work closely with them.

Dan

Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
" The TV mets in Fargo do a great job.....and we work closely with them."
Wheeler, hands down, is the best. Lays it out straight, usually without hype and histrionics, with a much appreciated amount of science ed besides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or