U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
1,034 posts, read 1,065,610 times
Reputation: 324

Advertisements

Fargo does have an infatuation with Minneapolis, which might feed some of things that are being talked about. Fargo does have this energy, it is kind of a positive energy that can sometimes border on arrogant. I could see how it could rub some people the wrong way.

That said I think the state as a whole could use a bit of Fargo's attitude while Fargo could use a bit of the state's humbleness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,145 times
Reputation: 10
It is the cold. Plan to spend 15 minutes warming up your car before you drive it anywhere between Jan - March. The cost of consumer goods (in the stores) is expensive here but you can order on line, so the internet diminishes that problem. If you like professional Ballet or Opera, its not so great but you can drive to Minneapolis for that. Someone previously characterized Minneapolis as "a short 4 hour drive" which should tell you how isolated it is here. Since when is four hours "a short drive"? Four hours is the time it takes to drive from New York to DC! All the good things that you read are in fact correct but do note that the pay here is much lower than the rest of the country. Only 1/4 of the population can afford the *entry* priced home (a characterless townhouse with a double garage for a front facade) on a single salary, and only half of the population can afford it on two salaries. The cost of living in Fargo is 1% higher than the national average in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah234 View Post
It is the cold. Plan to spend 15 minutes warming up your car before you drive it anywhere between Jan - March. The cost of consumer goods (in the stores) is expensive here but you can order on line, so the internet diminishes that problem. If you like professional Ballet or Opera, its not so great but you can drive to Minneapolis for that. Someone previously characterized Minneapolis as "a short 4 hour drive" which should tell you how isolated it is here. Since when is four hours "a short drive"? Four hours is the time it takes to drive from New York to DC! All the good things that you read are in fact correct but do note that the pay here is much lower than the rest of the country. Only 1/4 of the population can afford the *entry* priced home (a characterless townhouse with a double garage for a front facade) on a single salary, and only half of the population can afford it on two salaries. The cost of living in Fargo is 1% higher than the national average in 2011.
some of the stuff you say is true...but also Fargo is the cheapest of the ND cities in terms of most everything....housing....gas.....etc. As a rule of thumb...Grand Forks is 10 cents higher on gas than Fargo and Minot often 10 cents higher than Grand Forks.... Housing also cheaper....about 20k less on average than Grand Forks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
 
19 posts, read 44,827 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah234 View Post
Only 1/4 of the population can afford the *entry* priced home (a characterless townhouse with a double garage for a front facade) on a single salary
What's your source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah234 View Post
and only half of the population can afford it on two salaries.
What's your source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah234 View Post
The cost of living in Fargo is 1% higher than the national average in 2011.
What's your source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Orbiting around Saturn
63 posts, read 110,442 times
Reputation: 61
I'm still trying to work out what drives anyone to move to Fargo.

I had been considering moving to this town for a little while now and TBH I can't come up with more than a few concrete plus points, with minus points seeming to make a longer list and the items in that minus list being more significant.

I think there must be some sheep mentality going on with dreamer type folks, or something like that.
I don't think having a reasonable day-to-day life for 4-5 months a year is worth it.
Surely ,many people move for a better quality of life, not to lessen what quality they can have.

So many people on this forum say don't come here if you don't have a place to live in already (how is this possible?) or don't hope to get anything more than a $8 an hour jobs if you're not moving top Fargo because of a job.

It seems that the city won't grow much to cope with demand and I have seen my own city refusing to change its backward and parochial ways when lots of people moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
155 posts, read 373,100 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
I'm still trying to work out what drives anyone to move to Fargo.

I had been considering moving to this town for a little while now and TBH I can't come up with more than a few concrete plus points, with minus points seeming to make a longer list and the items in that minus list being more significant.

I think there must be some sheep mentality going on with dreamer type folks, or something like that.
I don't think having a reasonable day-to-day life for 4-5 months a year is worth it.
Surely ,many people move for a better quality of life, not to lessen what quality they can have.

So many people on this forum say don't come here if you don't have a place to live in already (how is this possible?) or don't hope to get anything more than a $8 an hour jobs if you're not moving top Fargo because of a job.

It seems that the city won't grow much to cope with demand and I have seen my own city refusing to change its backward and parochial ways when lots of people moved here.
Then don't move there, it's quite simple really. You seem very confused and uneducated on your perception of Fargo. Perhaps you should take a trip there and look instead of using the ole magic 8 ball huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Orbiting around Saturn
63 posts, read 110,442 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJoker View Post
Then don't move there, it's quite simple really. You seem very confused and uneducated on your perception of Fargo. Perhaps you should take a trip there and look instead of using the ole magic 8 ball huh?
You're not selling the area very well if that is your response.
I am not confused. I just don't understand the attraction, given all that I have learned.

You could be helpful instead of being defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Reputation: 8981
If you can handle the weather, it's a great city. My advice would be to take advantage of the Winter and live it up and do alot of winter activities like Ice fishing in the Detroit Lakes area or buy a snowmobile. Your also a 4 hour drive from Winnipeg as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
 
325 posts, read 783,270 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
You're not selling the area very well if that is your response. I am not confused. I just don't understand the attraction, given all that I have learned.

You could be helpful instead of being defensive.
Yes he could be but when you make a comment like this (while the entire quote is subjective, I have bolded the potentially insulting parts below), which can easily be taken as quite insulting of the judgment, taste, and intellect of the people who have moved to the area:

Quote:
I think there must be some sheep mentality going on with dreamer type folks, or something like that. I don't think having a reasonable day-to-day life for 4-5 months a year is worth it. Surely, many people move for a better quality of life, not to lessen what quality they can have.
Then you should not be at all surprised that you got a sharp ("defensive") response in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
 
4,230 posts, read 5,739,554 times
Reputation: 10032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post

Surely ,many people move for a better quality of life, not to lessen what quality they can have.
I can only give you my reasons for moving. I live in an area of California that has a 13% U3 unemployment rate the U6 rate might just be double that. The jobs section in the paper is not measured in pages in my metro, but small columns. If you look online itís an LOL moment. I even moved to a much bigger metro for nine months to look for work and found nothing, but temp gigs.

I want a higher quality of life and itís not going to happen in California. There are simply too many unemployed folks here and the government is highly dysfunctional. I held out for a long time and beat every bush I could looking for a job in this state, but there becomes a point where itís time to pack it in. The same thing happened during the Great Depression, people migrated to where the work is.

I have two college degrees and a blue-collar background. Iím not too prideful to work a shovel, but even that work is hard to find in California. Call me a dreamer, but I find something very satisfying about putting in a hard days work, instead of walking to the mailbox looking for a handout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top