U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,515,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
I'm still trying to work out what drives anyone to move to Fargo.

I had been considering moving to this town for a little while now and TBH I can't come up with more than a few concrete plus points, with minus points seeming to make a longer list and the items in that minus list being more significant.

I think there must be some sheep mentality going on with dreamer type folks, or something like that.
I don't think having a reasonable day-to-day life for 4-5 months a year is worth it.
Surely ,many people move for a better quality of life, not to lessen what quality they can have.

So many people on this forum say don't come here if you don't have a place to live in already (how is this possible?) or don't hope to get anything more than a $8 an hour jobs if you're not moving top Fargo because of a job.

It seems that the city won't grow much to cope with demand and I have seen my own city refusing to change its backward and parochial ways when lots of people moved here.
It seems you are confusing Fargo with the western part of the state. Fargo doesnt have a housing issue like the oil regions and the Fargo area has the infrastructure for continued growth.....like it always has through the 90s. Fargo isnt the promise land of oil jobs....but it is very typical of most 100k-200k metro areas in terms of opportunites....with bonus of being clean and much less crime than many cities it's size. Though you begin to wonder with the news of late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM

440 posts, read 151,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I went after all. The watering holes are outstanding, the people are fun and friendly, and the shopping is surprisingly good! The University has a lot going on, if you Fargoans aren't too aware! Town seemed to be bustling.

Sadly, I left my camera in the car most of the time. Fargo's sweet though! I love your state! I even drove out to Valley City and a little further than that to see some quite interesting topography and charming little towns. Who knew North Dakota actually had... stuff!?
A quote from another thread.

Fargo is alright

Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,398,154 times
Visited this past weekend from Winnipeg, and I love it. Beautiful prairie city, lots of very nice folks, and some great shopping. I will definitely visit your city again. Most folks only go as far as Grand Forks, but I think the extra hour is definitely worth it.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

8,524 posts, read 8,379,018 times
I don't know what the catch is but the movie "Fargo" is one of my favs. I love that movie.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 PM

378 posts, read 354,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't know what the catch is but the movie "Fargo" is one of my favs. I love that movie.
Not filmed in Fargo. Lots of MN locations.

Good movie anyway

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM

233 posts, read 215,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
... Call me a dreamer, but I find something very satisfying about putting in a hard days work, instead of walking to the mailbox looking for a handout.
What a great attitude. With that outlook, I think you'll be able to find what you are seeking in Fargo as the economy is pretty strong. Good luck to you.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,008,242 times
Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone. I arrived in Fargo today.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,515,231 times
Good luck and hope all turns out well for you

Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 AM

225 posts, read 520,449 times
Apparently you brought 5 inches of snow with you. Here's a little song to get you in the mood.

If You're Gonna' Play In Fargo - YouTube

Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM

105 posts, read 24,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Cause its cold?
cause its white???
cause I said so???
All the white people, come on now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo