U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,534,354 times

Advertisements

While I don't live in North Dakota yet, in my driving all around the state I have had excellent coverage with my Verizon cell. That being said, there were some areas in the west central part of the state (highway 85) where my cell dropped into 'no service'. But those areas are pretty remote anyway. I had no problems in any small town or large town in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM

405 posts, read 1,175,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Any of the cell phone companies I mentioned will have "full" coverage in this area. The deciding factor is the quality of coverage. Alltel's network may have a lot of bars, but I consistently found myself dialing a number and having to wait a good 10-20 seconds for the call to start ringing. This is just one example of what I dislike about Alltel.

As far as Sprint is concerned, they do not have their own network here. They use mostly Verizon and occasionally Alltel's towers. I had Sprint for four years and loved them. The only reason I left them was because of their phone selection. You might pay a little bit more for Verizon service, but there is a reason. I'll let everyone here converse about whether or not there is a noticeable difference. I think there is. Good luck on your search!

If price matters to you, go with Sprint. If quality matters to you, go with Verizon. If you find the Alltel TV commercials hilarious and witty, go with Alltel.

Fischer_girl, I find it very hard to believe that your relatives with Verizon have spotty coverage here. Also... the Fighting Sioux.
I'd have absolutly no reason to make something like that up. It makes it a complete pain in the ass when they come to visit because we have no way to communicate back and forth. Also... have you SEEN Bison sporting events lately?! Well than... go Bison.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokegoalie View Post
Seems to be some conflicting reports! You advise Alltel, while Kerplunk says he'd go to it last! This is not good for my confidence level in terms of signing a two-year contract with a company haha.

That is why I made the comment above that people are going to give you different stories and opinions... its just the way cell service is. And I'd admit... if I had a bad experience with Alltel..Id tell ya not to go with them too! But.. I haven't...so I won't.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM

97 posts, read 303,251 times
Fischer_girl: I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything, sorry! I just can't see how that is possible. Isn't it also true that Verizon phones will switch to other networks (roaming) if the service isn't very good? Roaming is free on Verizon, too.

Oh, and to be honest, I don't really follow any NDSU/UND sports besides the Fighting Sioux boys hockey team.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Fischer_girl: I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything, sorry! I just can't see how that is possible. Isn't it also true that Verizon phones will switch to other networks (roaming) if the service isn't very good? Roaming is free on Verizon, too.

Oh, and to be honest, I don't really follow any NDSU/UND sports besides the Fighting Sioux boys hockey team.

You're right..the only good hockey team ANYWHERE near there is UND.

I'm not sure how all the switching networks things work. My relatives haven't been to visit in a year or so..maybe things have improved by now!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 AM

625 posts, read 1,612,387 times
I'm in my 12th year with Alltel and have not had any major complaints. Our best friends are with Verizon and don't like the expense. If all their friends weren't w/Verizon (Free calls to other Verizon customers), they'd have changed over a long time ago. When we travel together, there isn't much if any difference as far as better reception, etc between the 2 companies. Actually, in most of the country, Verizon & Alltel merged into 1 company last fall. Not sure why they didn't in ND.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:01 AM

97 posts, read 303,251 times
Verizon now owns Alltel. Currently, they are keeping their networks separate (for now) nationwide, I believe!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 27,810 times
I have sprint and it works everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or