Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM

12 posts, read 40,966 times

Advertisements

I have applied to MNSU-Moorhead and will be attending assuming I get in(I should easily...)I was just looking at T-Mobile and apparently there is no coverage in Fargo/Moorhead. What is the best company for coverage in Fargo? I plan on making many, many trips to Fargo and as any 22 year old, a cell phone is a necessity. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hokegoalie; 03-09-2009 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM

97 posts, read 353,240 times
I don't think there are any GSM networks up here. All CDMA. I have used Sprint, Alltel, and Verizon within the past few years and I have to say that I would rank them in the following order of best to worst:

1. Verizon
2. Sprint
3. Not having a cell phone (har har)
4. Alltel

Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Pardon me, but GSM? CDMA? I'm not TOO techie advanced . I kind of figured Verizon would be the best, it shows to be the strongest on their site. ATT apparently has "partner" coverage, what does this mean? I'm soooooo hesitant to go to Verizon because they are so expensive...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Everyone is going to give you their opinion..just like asking whos better...the NDSU bison or the UND Sioux. However!!! You're right, the t-mobil coverage is horrid in that area. I have many family members from SD with verizon, and every time the come to ND no one has service. I have been with Alltel for over ten years and never had a problem with coverage... I have had coverage from ND to the Florida Keys and now all the way to Santa Fe NM. No problems.
I have also heard bad things about the Sprint coverage in the area...and I don't think Id ever go with ATT...although I'm not sure why.
PS.... depending on where you work your employer may qualify you for a cell phone bill discount. My hubby works for Citi financial and we get 25% off our bill/month.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Everyone is going to give you their opinion..just like asking whos better...the NDSU bison or the UND Sioux. However!!! You're right, the t-mobil coverage is horrid in that area. I have many family members from SD with verizon, and every time the come to ND no one has service. I have been with Alltel for over ten years and never had a problem with coverage... I have had coverage from ND to the Florida Keys and now all the way to Santa Fe NM. No problems.
I have also heard bad things about the Sprint coverage in the area...and I don't think Id ever go with ATT...although I'm not sure why.
PS.... depending on where you work your employer may qualify you for a cell phone bill discount. My hubby works for Citi financial and we get 25% off our bill/month.
Seems to be some conflicting reports! You advise Alltel, while Kerplunk says he'd go to it last! This is not good for my confidence level in terms of signing a two-year contract with a company haha.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 56,947 times
I have Alltel, and it works just fine for me!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM

82 posts, read 258,294 times
I've had both Alltell and Verizon in Fargo. Both work fine.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Any of the cell phone companies I mentioned will have "full" coverage in this area. The deciding factor is the quality of coverage. Alltel's network may have a lot of bars, but I consistently found myself dialing a number and having to wait a good 10-20 seconds for the call to start ringing. This is just one example of what I dislike about Alltel.

As far as Sprint is concerned, they do not have their own network here. They use mostly Verizon and occasionally Alltel's towers. I had Sprint for four years and loved them. The only reason I left them was because of their phone selection. You might pay a little bit more for Verizon service, but there is a reason. I'll let everyone here converse about whether or not there is a noticeable difference. I think there is. Good luck on your search!

If price matters to you, go with Sprint. If quality matters to you, go with Verizon. If you find the Alltel TV commercials hilarious and witty, go with Alltel.

Fischer_girl, I find it very hard to believe that your relatives with Verizon have spotty coverage here. Also... the Fighting Sioux.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Any of the cell phone companies I mentioned will have "full" coverage in this area. The deciding factor is the quality of coverage. Alltel's network may have a lot of bars, but I consistently found myself dialing a number and having to wait a good 10-20 seconds for the call to start ringing. This is just one example of what I dislike about Alltel.

As far as Sprint is concerned, they do not have their own network here. They use mostly Verizon and occasionally Alltel's towers. I had Sprint for four years and loved them. The only reason I left them was because of their phone selection. You might pay a little bit more for Verizon service, but there is a reason. I'll let everyone here converse about whether or not there is a noticeable difference. I think there is. Good luck on your search!

Fischer_girl, I find it very hard to believe that your relatives with Verizon have spotty coverage here. Also... the Fighting Sioux.
I never really thought of it that way. I chose T-Mobile with my last contract because it was my first phone bill on my own and wanted a good value. Now that I think about Verizon being more expensive, is paying for better coverage. I am probably more apt to go with that now than I was before.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure that most cell phone companies these days have a "30 days or your money back" promotion. You can try them and if you don't like it you can return your phone and go somewhere else. Ask them about that. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: