Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM

35 posts, read 246,598 times

Advertisements

I need a good website for house/apartment/townhouse rentals in the Fargo or Grand Forks areas please? Usually I just use realtor.com but it's not coming up with anything for Grand Forks for some reason. That can't be right can it? There are no rentals in Grand Forks????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
I need a good website for house/apartment/townhouse rentals in the Fargo or Grand Forks areas please? Usually I just use realtor.com but it's not coming up with anything for Grand Forks for some reason. That can't be right can it? There are no rentals in Grand Forks????
I posted this on a previous post regarding rental housing. Overall finding homes to rent is pretty tough...most avbl are older. But the owners of homes that they own and want to rent are usually managed by property companies. In the Grand Forks area....here are the links to use from my experience. Again rental SFH will be a tough one (decent quality) while rental townhomes/duplexes a bit better choice.

And forgot those national web sites for our area....they are useless.

Here are some links to the main players in town in terms of having any houses/duplexes/townhomes avbl.

Alerus Financial - Rental property

Elite Property Management, LLC

For apartments only try...

http://www.goldmark.com/

http://www.immapartments.com/

Also try the Grand Forks Herald classifieds on line....check for houses and duplexes. You have to register to use the
web site but it is free at least. Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

Last edited by Kamsack; 06-11-2009 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: add other links

Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 AM

Wow thanks so much for those! I really thought a 3 bedroom 2 bath would be cheaper than that. It seems cheaper to buy than rent!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Depends....things you must consider are property taxes which are quite high in North Dakota and if there are any specials. So in the end...still cheaper to rent I think on all levels. Plus interest rates have climbed a full percent in recent weeks.

If you have any ? on areas of town, etc or complexes let me know and I can try to help out

Dan

Old 06-13-2009, 05:22 PM

137 posts, read 424,319 times
Here's a site for the Fargo area that seems to have more rentals than any other site I've found:

ApartmentsHQ is your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments

Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 PM

I've seen what you are referring to as specials listed under the info for houses to buy but I have no idea what that means?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
I've seen what you are referring to as specials listed under the info for houses to buy but I have no idea what that means?
Each area of the country does this different and call it different names. In California I saw it referred to as Mello-Roos. But "specials" are what the homeowner pays when the city does improvement projects such as new streets, sidewalk repairs, etc that affect the homeowners property.

Most specials are for new roads, lights, sewers put in a new subdivision and thus most specials are only tagged onto newer homes. Most older homes in established neighborhoods (say 15 yr old homes and older) will have been there long enough for any "specials" for the roads, lights, sewer put in when the home was built to have been paid off.

Confusing..... hard to explain. But my house was built in East Grand Forks MN (across the river from GF) in 2003. Street was gravel with a drainage ditch in front. By late 2004....a majority of the lots had been developed on our street...and the city law says that once that occurs the residents can gather a petition and ask the city to develop plans and prices for street paving (concerete curb and gutters). 50 pct of the homeowners must sign it before it is present to the city council. Once this is done...the city council will ask for bids for the project and plans. The city comes back and says it wll cost XX amount of money to pave the street. The look at the length of the street and divide the cost by the length (ft) and access a "special assement" of xx amount per ft. Our lots are 90 ft wide so I have 90 ft width on the street so my house is assesed xx dollars times 90 to get the total amount that my property will be assesed. I get this in the mail and a hearing is done and unless objections the project is started to pave the street. The city will then pay the developer...and the homeowner enters in an agreement with the city to repay the city xx yearly amount of money over a 15 or 20 yr period (plus interest).

So for example...in Grand Forks....typical 200,000 dollar home would have real estate taxes of about 4300 per yr (about 2.2 pct of amount assessed).

In addition, a new street was done and the home was assessed 20,000 over a 15 yr period. (plus interest). We would owe an additional 1800 per yr in special assessments. (I am doing this roughly so apologize if these calculations are not mathmetically accurate).

So total tax and specials would be about 6100/ yr total.

Things to keep in mind when looking to purchase.

Now for older homes (more than 15 yrs old) in established neighborhoods with streets/lights/sidewalks in specials will have been paid off or very very low.

Hope it makes sense.... Now if you rent a townhome, apartment, etc you dont have to worry about this as the owner of the place pays any taxes/specials. So when looking around for rentals if you see a price you dont have to add anything to it.

Dan

Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,379 times
Question 2 students rent apartment during the summer

2 students ( 1 boy and 1 girl ) are looking for rent a apartment for the first 1,2 weeks of staying in Grand Forks or for all summer.We are participants of Summer Work & Travel Program from Moldova.We will work in Canad Inn Grand Forks Destination Center.We will be available to rent from 30 - May.We will be very happy of any information about housing.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
[Mod cut]
Grand Forks: Grand Forks, ND house for rent in | Find house for rent in in Grand Forks, ND

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Link you had for Fargo led to housing in Indiana.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,998 times
Hello, i'm also work and travel student and I looking for housing in Grand Forks around Canad Inns.

Please give me some tips...

Tnx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo