U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 AM

252 posts, read 580,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
$30k? I might make that working 60-70 hours/week between two places. The best wage I've been able to get has been a little over $9
I have to agree with this quote. I quit working on my BA after three years of college and make $10/hr, which is more than what any of my friends that graduated make. Well, except for the friends that moved. The rest are $30,000 in debt and make $7-8/hr at daycares and gas stations. One is a housewife because she refuses to accept a job of that level when she has a 4 year degree. Its funny, in that really sad sort of way. For those wondering what sort of degrees these people went for, it ranges from Journalism to Forestry to Business with a PR emphasis. ND has the highest rate of underemployment in the nation and its obvious as to why. We have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to make bills. I have no clue how anyone can even afford a family without living off of food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,531 times
Quote:
i didn't answer it because it is a stupid question, it's very ambiguous

...to earn money?
...in my free time?
...do i ever want to retire?
...do i want to start a business?
...marry?
...have children?
...start a revolution?
...found a religious movement?

at this point in my life, it's not really a matter of what i want to do - it's a matter of what is available.

that's very observant of you, it is all about me; that's the way this country was founded: on the principles of individuality and personal responsibility.

EDIT: i just noticed that you are in England and may not have the same outlook as someone over here. your comments are entirely inappropriate, given the context.
That's more of a critique than an answer. I understand the underemployment problems. Trust me, I lived that way for almost ten years.
But, the question still remains unanswered. If you can't define what you want to do (in any of those various iterations that you posted) then not only can people not help you find various opportunities, but you will have greater difficulty finding them for yourself. It's not a stupid question. It's a difficult question to answer, because what a person wants isn't always possible.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 AM

231 posts, read 649,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
what a person wants isn't always possible.
this resonates with what i said: it doesn't matter what i want, it's a matter of what is available.

...to earn money?
whatever jobs are available and bearable (this rules out UPS, they barely treat new people like humans)
...in my free time?
this varies greatly, that's a separate discussion
it seems unlikely, considering my goal-driven nature
...do i want to start a business?
been there, done that, still paying for it
...marry?
up in the air
...have children?
up in the air
...start a revolution?
i don't have enough charisma to inspire
being of a non-theistic persuasion, this would be as ideologically against my principles as "agoraphobics anonymous group therapy"

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 AM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
A few things about your predicament... because you come off entirely as "I'm intelligent and capable, but am so disenchanted with life that I'll settle for anything other than what I've got now." I know that feeling too well. Its a life feeling unfulfilled but not having the ability to fix it. So, I'm going to pass the ball back and forth with you, if I may. Prepare for the wall of text.

Quote:
this resonates with what i said: it doesn't matter what i want, it's a matter of what is available.
I disagree with this. If an area does not have what you want, you can find an area that you may find more suitable. Getting the means to do that may be hard, but at least you then have a goal to live for instead of being miserable.

Quote:
...to earn money?
whatever jobs are available and bearable (this rules out UPS, they barely treat new people like humans)
I'll remember to not work at UPS, but how much do you want to make and what area of work would you want to get? Not what you'll settle for, but possibly what you went to college for. What would feel like a career and not a job to cover shelter, food in your belly, and gas in your car.

Quote:
...in my free time?
this varies greatly, that's a separate discussion
Disagree again. Going someplace that offers activities you enjoy is a big part of what makes that area enjoyable. You don't like lots of religion and booze. Why live in an area that has those two things as the top three ways of meeting people (the third being having kids)?

Quote:
it seems unlikely, considering my goal-driven nature
If things continue as they have been with the social security dilemma, no one in our generation will get to consider retiring anyhow.

Quote:
being of a non-theistic persuasion, this would be as ideologically against my principles as "agoraphobics anonymous group therapy"
I don't know... if you make it ridiculous enough, and with a good enough pitch, you can get rich quick from spiritually-desperate people. Look at L. Ron and Scientology. You don't have to believe it. All that matters is that you get others to believe.

That aside, I'm with you on the whole "not into ND" bit. I was born here and have never fit into the culture. I continue to be here due to an inability to get enough money to gtfo. But instead of being miserable, I'm trying to find someplace I would be happier. That's actually how I found this forum. I yearn for rugged scenery, rich cultural diversity, art museums, nature conservatories, city aquariums, and a complex music scene. I don't want to know that every time I meet a potential love interest, it'll never work out because I don't believe in their imaginary friend. I want to be with people who are as "unique" as me and the best way to do that is to go somewhere that promotes my version of "uniqueness." Instead of complaining on here, because you and I both know that ND only supports certain personality types, perhaps you should be trying to make yourself happy instead of just trudging through life. And I do notice the irony of my post. I've done a mighty amount of trudging myself.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
Its a life feeling unfulfilled but not having the ability to fix it.
contrary to what many people would believe, most days, i am quite pleased with my life. between online forums, books, writing, good films, good television (i used to think that was an oxymoron), exercising, video games, and creating challenging projects for myself, i am pretty fulfilled with existence. the only time that i find myself feeling alone is when i think about the possibility of adding new faces to my circle of acquaintances.

Quote:
I disagree with this. If an area does not have what you want, you can find an area that you may find more suitable.
i realize that this should be my goal, but i am incredibly bad at meeting people. if i were to move to a new place where i don't know anyone, i would probably spend nearly a year with absolutely zero social life (aside from communicating with people that i know here and using web forums)

Quote:
how much do you want to make and what area of work would you want to get? Not what you'll settle for, but possibly what you went to college for. What would feel like a career and not a job to cover shelter, food in your belly, and gas in your car.
i will find a use for whatever kind of cash flow i can manage. i said that what i enjoy/want to do is a separate discussion because i am a very diverse character. i do not know any other men that can bake, sew, repair automobiles, fix computer hard/software problems, play music, write well, speak well, paint houses, fix plumbing problems, etc.
when parents tell their children that they can do anything they want, that's a lie; not everyone can do whatever they want. i can. the problem is the issue i addressed in another thread: i'm honest. in all candor, i don't hide my disdain very well. there are plenty of jobs that i didn't get because i don't play their games. i know the answers that companies want to see and hear, but i refuse to lie just to get a job.

Quote:
I yearn for rugged scenery, rich cultural diversity, art museums, nature conservatories, city aquariums, and a complex music scene.
vienna is obviously where you belong

Quote:
Instead of complaining on here
overall, i don't consider what i've been doing here to be complaining, merely defending my viewpoint and explaining my situation.

Last edited by acfreema; 07-05-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM

246 posts, read 903,944 times
In ND a lot of what the job pay issues that I am seeing come from the field you choose to go into. I know plenty of people who went into fields and have B.A. degrees that are lucky if they start over $20K a year. Back when oil was really swinging, I have relatives who make easily over $50K for the work they are doing working the rigs. And out in those parts, they are down to a one income household with the wives not working because of the great pay. New cars, boats, etc. and probably little savings I fear too.

What people need to understand is ND is not like other states where they flash money at you, as after going with the flash myself over in the East for a job starting at about $50K, I still was living poorer than I am here after I took a pay cut down to about $38k with a lot of experience. I still don't make more than I did in the East, but, I actually live better, have more things, etc.

So keep in mind, pay is relative to what is charged in the area. making a gazillion dollars doesn't mean much if you everything costs that much.

I believe it is a valid question though to ask what it is you want to do. If you want to swim in the oceans, obivously, you won't get that here. If you want roaring nightclubs, scratch that too.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
What people need to understand is ND is not like other states where they flash money at you... So keep in mind, pay is relative to what is charged in the area. making a gazillion dollars doesn't mean much if you everything costs that much.
i'm not sure how to say this without appearing condescending, but it's clear that you haven't read enough of this thread to get an understanding of my perspective. i know how much most places here pay, i know how much life here costs.
realistic monthly expenses:
decent one-bedroom apt - 500+
car payment - 200+
car insurance - 120+
food - 300+

without health insurance, entertainment, repairs, medical expenses, etc, that's 1120+ with after-tax dollars. most people that i know who are in their 20s make about 8/hr, which comes to about 1200/month. does anyone else see a downward pressure on the lower-class?

sure, tell people that they don't need a new car, but then they have unreliable transportation in a city without effective public transit.

Quote:
I believe it is a valid question though to ask what it is you want to do.
we're still stuck on the topic of whether someone in this income range has realistic lifestyle choices about anything without burying themselves in debt.

Quote:
If you want to swim in the oceans, obivously, you won't get that here. If you want roaring nightclubs, scratch that too.
i didn't start this thread with the pursuit of finding information about what life offers here, my intention was (and is) to tell young people not to come here unless they are going to attend college and leave. this area offers no economic incentives for young people to stay. and, as anyone with the slightest grasp of economic theory understands, money makes the world go around.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:33 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,827,616 times
Quote:
EDIT: i just noticed that you are in England and may not have the same outlook as someone over here. your comments are entirely inappropriate, given the context.
I'm as American as you, and have the passport to prove it. Having observed over the years that there is no such thing as bored people, only boring people, whatever the country, my comments are entirely appropriate. If you are unhappy with your lot then do something about it, just stop whinging and moaning.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
there is no such thing as bored people, only boring people
you are getting off topic. again, this is not a "what is there to do in fargo?!" thread.

Quote:
If you are unhappy with your lot then do something about it
that is more in time with the premise of this discussion. it appears we agree that the well-educated youth should be leaving fargo, maybe all of north dakota, because there is nothing here for us. this has nothing to do with entertainment and lifestyle, those are subjective - this is about money.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,035,489 times
I am not sure if Sioux Falls is similar to Fargo, but Sioux Falls has a lot of $10-$13/hr jobs and many of them are at the call centers and credit card places, but the costs for housing may be higher. Insuruance, food, gas, etc., my guess, would be similar. No state income tax, but property taxes would likely be higher in SD than ND and it would cost around $55 for annual licence on the car and food is taxed. Sioux Falls has a lot of college graduates from USD and SDSU along with other regional colleges moving in and a lot of younger families in certain areas of the city and in nearby bedroom communities (which have mushroomed in population in the past 15 years).

As for low pay in Fargo, some of it has to do with city leadership and the city leadership needs to push to for development of new industries that use the strengths of ND or go well hand-and-hand with NDSU.

If one is unmarried and does not have roomates cutting down housing expenses, $20,000-$30,000 is more or less getting by and I have started out a few years ago and know. In SD, making mid $20s is getting by and living a no-frills lifestyle. In my area of SD, this salary would be getting by, but if one is paid in the mid $30s or $40 and is good at shopping sales and bargains when grocery shopping, etc, then he or she will do fine and have a little left over to save or for disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo