U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM
 
231 posts, read 649,893 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

something really interesting happened last year (maybe i've forgotten, and it's been two years), there was a vote for a new .5% sales tax to help defer some of the costs that many corporations based in other places would incur by developing satellites here.
great idea, right?
if you look at the perks of doing business here, from the operating cost perspective, people here are used to working for lower wages, of course they would be willing to work for $8 or $9/hr instead of the company-standard $12/hr wage floor. /sarcasm if various multi-state businesses are lured here with that kind of citizen abuse, the tax would just be another honey pot. sadly, i was a west fargo resident at the time, so i was unable to vote it down, but i did encourage my friends and family to consider the information given before voting. the angering thing is that we weren't given sufficient information to make a sound choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Fargo ND
21 posts, read 54,372 times
Reputation: 14
This thread is why not to move to ND if you are in your 20's...well I have 2 grown children living in ND and very happy here!!! Son graduated with a 4 yr degree, making $50,000 yr. Daughter no college education making $32,000 yr. When ACFREEMA says they are working for $8-$9 a hr you can't be too ambitious because I think walmart even starts better than that. We owned a business in town, closing it 5 yrs ago(17 yrs was enough) and we were paying back then $10 hr to start with no skills. I suggest everyone looking for a job in the fargo area check out the job service of ND. Just checked out their website and there was more than 500 jobs(they only list 500 jobs unless you narrow your search)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Central Wisconsin
53 posts, read 108,924 times
Reputation: 39
I am not a North Dakota resident but I do know a little bit about the rural versus big city divide when it comes to income. I am 25 so squarely in the middle of the 20's age bracket. Initially I went to college, or I should say pushed into it by my well meaning mother. I came to the realization that it was nothing but a big waste of time and money, at least for me. I hate big cities, I dislike even living near a big city, I would never buy a house in a city that had more than 50 people if I had to live in one. I always had a crazy notion to find a remote piece of the USA because I enjoy peace and quiet. There is almost nothing for a college grad in most rural areas I have been in. The only things I know of that pay good are over the road type jobs such as welding or truck driving. Neither of which require a college degree. So with that in mind I have learned to be content with less. I don't need much, a roof over my head and a full belly. Most money I ever made was 28,000 in a year but usually the average amount is half that. This year it'll be a quarter of that by the time it draws to a close.

I lived without plumbing for nearly three years and had ran electric appliances off my car battery later got two solar panels from my Uncle when he died. I look at what I have and then see how most of the world lives and I consider myself rich. I can make in one day doing easy work at 10 bucks an hour what some poor dude in India might break his back for in a week. People keep saying they are falling farther and farther behind, which is true. People did make more 40 years ago (I did some extensive research on the topic). However compared to 60-70 years ago people now have to work much less to maintain the life style that someone back in say the 1930s would have to work full time to have.

To me quality of life and free time is more important than spending money on lots of fancy things that you can't enjoy anyway because you're always working. I know plenty of people that live paycheck to paycheck that make 30, 40, and even 50 thousand dollars a year. When you come right down to it they own no more than I do. The bank owns everything.

I'll admit there are nice things about large cities and with out them there would be more people out in the country driving up land prices. Some people have to be entertained 24/7 I guess. I provide my own entertainment whether it is blowing up ant hills with bombs (shhh don't tell the feds) or sitting out in my yard at night with my telescope. A good imagination and some creativity goes a long way too.

My unique perspective though makes it a little hard to find people who value the same things I do. Most people my age seem to want a fast pace in your face lifestyle that is full of toys and entertainment. I get looked down on because I drive a 33 year old pickup that I have welded up more than a few times and own an old farm house that looks more like a shack than a home. But in the end I get the last laugh, about 80 percent of the time I get to do what ever I feel like doing. I never have to work at a job I hate because if I don't like it I can afford to quit. I never pull my hair out worrying about being able to pay my bills.

Little bit long winded of a post I'll admit but I figured a different point of view from someone in their twenties might be needed in this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
 
177 posts, read 365,323 times
Reputation: 104
Default For Real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
I am not a North Dakota resident but I do know a little bit about the rural versus big city divide when it comes to income. I am 25 so squarely in the middle of the 20's age bracket. Initially I went to college, or I should say pushed into it by my well meaning mother. I came to the realization that it was nothing but a big waste of time and money, at least for me. I hate big cities, I dislike even living near a big city, I would never buy a house in a city that had more than 50 people if I had to live in one. I always had a crazy notion to find a remote piece of the USA because I enjoy peace and quiet. There is almost nothing for a college grad in most rural areas I have been in. The only things I know of that pay good are over the road type jobs such as welding or truck driving. Neither of which require a college degree. So with that in mind I have learned to be content with less. I don't need much, a roof over my head and a full belly. Most money I ever made was 28,000 in a year but usually the average amount is half that. This year it'll be a quarter of that by the time it draws to a close.

I lived without plumbing for nearly three years and had ran electric appliances off my car battery later got two solar panels from my Uncle when he died. I look at what I have and then see how most of the world lives and I consider myself rich. I can make in one day doing easy work at 10 bucks an hour what some poor dude in India might break his back for in a week. People keep saying they are falling farther and farther behind, which is true. People did make more 40 years ago (I did some extensive research on the topic). However compared to 60-70 years ago people now have to work much less to maintain the life style that someone back in say the 1930s would have to work full time to have.

To me quality of life and free time is more important than spending money on lots of fancy things that you can't enjoy anyway because you're always working. I know plenty of people that live paycheck to paycheck that make 30, 40, and even 50 thousand dollars a year. When you come right down to it they own no more than I do. The bank owns everything.

I'll admit there are nice things about large cities and with out them there would be more people out in the country driving up land prices. Some people have to be entertained 24/7 I guess. I provide my own entertainment whether it is blowing up ant hills with bombs (shhh don't tell the feds) or sitting out in my yard at night with my telescope. A good imagination and some creativity goes a long way too.

My unique perspective though makes it a little hard to find people who value the same things I do. Most people my age seem to want a fast pace in your face lifestyle that is full of toys and entertainment. I get looked down on because I drive a 33 year old pickup that I have welded up more than a few times and own an old farm house that looks more like a shack than a home. But in the end I get the last laugh, about 80 percent of the time I get to do what ever I feel like doing. I never have to work at a job I hate because if I don't like it I can afford to quit. I never pull my hair out worrying about being able to pay my bills.

Little bit long winded of a post I'll admit but I figured a different point of view from someone in their twenties might be needed in this thread
I enjoy reading your post, however, the reality is it won't last you that long to live that kind of life style. Where is your responsibilty of a citizen? Are you going to have a family and kids? How are you going to support them if you do? In what way are you contributing to this society? This is a modern world and everybody has to work and live. I love it when you said ' me I get to do what ever I feel like doing. I never have to work at a job I hate because if I don't like it I can afford to quit.' Funny...you seem to enjoy living the stone age era...but yet using the modern equipment to go on this forum to preach about it. I guess I know where my tax dollars will go in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Central Wisconsin
53 posts, read 108,924 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
I enjoy reading your post, however, the reality is it won't last you that long to live that kind of life style. Where is your responsibility of a citizen? Are you going to have a family and kids? How are you going to support them if you do? In what way are you contributing to this society? This is a modern world and everybody has to work and live. I love it when you said ' me I get to do what ever I feel like doing. I never have to work at a job I hate because if I don't like it I can afford to quit.' Funny...you seem to enjoy living the stone age era...but yet using the modern equipment to go on this forum to preach about it. I guess I know where my tax dollars will go in future.
Responsibility to what? I vote, I pay taxes, I help out people when I can (and sometimes even when I really shouldn't). I don't take assistance like food stamps, that is for people who have ribs showing and I am definitely not starving.

Also I don't plan on having kids. Obviously I would have to work more if I had children. Reason is two fold, one I don't think I would be a real good parent and second reason with looking at how things are going I don't want to see my offspring living with all the problems that are coming down the pike. If I ever feel up to the challenge of raising a child I'll adopt. Plenty of unwanted kids out there.

And I would never get into a relationship if I didn't think if my girlfriend/wife wasn't 100 percent on board with how I want to live. It isn't fair for me or her. Maybe more people should be pickier and we would see a drop in the divorce rate in this country.

You say this is the modern world and everyone has to work, yes indeed they (and I) do. The choice is how much you work and what you really value in life. Everyone has a choice, you can have lots of nice stuff and no time or next to nothing and lots of time. I hear all the time about people complaining how their life sucks and their job sucks and how they are trapped. Who chose that? No one forced them to buy anything or have children or marry someone they don't like.

I am single, I get socked extra hard tax time. I don't qualify for 90 percent of the assistance programs in this state because I don't have children. I pay property taxes to support a school that I have no children to send to. If there is anyone that you should be complaining about it should be all the people having kids who put more thought into choosing what radio station to listen to than the creation of a new life. Utter nonsense for someone to have children and expect the government pick up the tab.

I don't like seeing tax money getting used to support people buying new cars and houses. I bought my house with money I earned. I didn't get a HUD loan or a huge tax incentive to buy my place. No handouts here. I paid off my first place in 8 months. Since I hate debt I worked very hard at a high paying but dangerous job so I could have the freedom later of not having to worry about a monthly payment. When I made real good money I got to see more than 40 percent of my check go to the government so don't tell me about wasting your tax dollars. Everything I have other than my house I bought up front with cash I saved.

Last edited by PhilJohnson; 09-14-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,439 times
Reputation: 10
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
being the age that the fargo area wants to keep (20s with a college degree), i am finally starting to understand why it is that fargo is unable to keep people like me: there is nothing here for us.

don't misconstrue, there is stuff here if you fit into any of the following groups:
1) elementary or high school-age
2) have children
3) elderly
4) your social gatherings center around liquor
5) college student

the only real thing that works to fargo's advantage is the cost of living, it's pretty low; however, that's misleading, because jobs here pay crap, just enough to afford an apartment, a car payment, and food - that's it.

there is nothing here to offer college graduates, unless they've got connections; jobs aren't given based on abilities. there is nothing to offer the college graduates for a social life, unless they're alcoholics (whether they admit it or not, liquor is _everywhere_).

I couldn't agree with you more!!! My husband and I left the F/M area as we are both college grads and there are no jobs there. Granted, there area few, but the pay is crap. There is nothing to do in that town except go sit at the bars, etc. Sorry, just not for us!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
 
180 posts, read 447,524 times
Reputation: 70
i agree with OP. But it's more than just about finding a job. Eventually, you'll find a job anywhere you go...and the pay is generally the same relative to the cost of living.

I don't want to stay here because the city (for me, and this could be completely opposite for other people), doesn't offer me enough. I like a fast paced environment, where there's always something cool, new, and fun to do. In Fargo, you can go to the bars at night, go to the mall on the weekend...to me, that's about it. I'm not a big nature/hunting guy, so that scene doesn't really appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
the angering thing is that we weren't given sufficient information to make a sound choice.
I dont understand your point?

Would you want to vote against adding some help to big companies who try to set up a shop here?

It seems to me to be a very good idea to help some out of state companies to move to Fargo.

what dont I get of your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM
 
231 posts, read 649,893 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Would you want to vote against adding some help to big companies who try to set up a shop here?
it depends on what this "help" is. tax abatements for the first year or two? maybe.

Quote:
It seems to me to be a very good idea to help some out of state companies to move to Fargo.
that's what i mean, this is all the people in power want us to see; what they don't want is the questions. who decides what businesses get this incentive? how long are we helping to defray the costs of operation or movement?

did you even read my post? i explained my concerns there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
did you even read my post? i explained my concerns there.
well a bit, You list the fact that we earn less here.
But that should be seen as a selling point to get a new company to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top