U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 AM

231 posts, read 649,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
well a bit
a bit?! then you have no reason to ask questions. if i answer them, you probably won't read my responses anyway.

Quote:
You list the fact that we earn less here.
But that should be seen as a selling point to get a new company to come here.
i addressed that point in my post, but you didn't read it. i will spell it out for you here:
assume business X pays all of their employees a company-wide minimum wage (familiar with ford in the early twentieth century?). now, what if that rate is $14/hr and they are told that people will do better work here for $9/hr? plus, we'll PAY them to build a plant here! that's what i call citizen abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,486,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
now, what if that rate is $14/hr and they are told that people will do better work here for $9/hr?.
That is a selling point to them thinking about the move here!

I believe that when we send our officials to a company like FORD, we should list for them:
#1 - our schools,
# 2 - our strong work ethic,
# 3 - and that there is a lower cost of doing business here than in other places.

That list of things is very important to big business.

All companies watch how much they spend to make something.
Lower wages mean more money for other things.
This is why America lost a lot of our trucking firms to Mexico.
This is also why companies relocate to places like India.

So rather than being shy about listing that we can get a product to market cheaper, we should be banging the drums about it!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
plus, we'll PAY them to build a plant here! .
I dont know that we will "pay" for a company to move a factory here, as in pay for everything that need.

But there is no harm in cutting them a very sweet deal to move a factory here.
Some ideas are to cut or totally drop any tax on the goods made in North dakota....
Or to set up a fund to help build the buildings they might need.
or to allow for a few rules about where a factory can opperate to work around the needs of a new FORD plant.

In short, I think that there are means that we can use, (including lower wages) to attract more business to dakota

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

231 posts, read 649,801 times
do you understand the basic tenets of capitalism? value for value, my best for your best. anything less is a failure for everyone involved. i am not (nor would anyone else that i know) interested in sacrificing a decent wage just to get more businesses to operate here. how many people do you know that have to work more than 50 hr/week just to afford a reasonable lifestyle?

if my labor in their home city of operations is worth $15/hr, why should it be any less here?

[Mod cut] if you really think offering businesses a lower wage expectation is good for the employees... i don't even know where to start with the destruction of that position.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-04-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: DO NOT attack the person. Data, yes, but not the person.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,431,030 times
Quote:
That is a selling point to them thinking about the move here!

I believe that when we send our officials to a company like FORD, we should list for them:
#1 - our schools,
# 2 - our strong work ethic,
# 3 - and that there is a lower cost of doing business here than in other places.

That list of things is very important to big business.

All companies watch how much they spend to make something.
Lower wages mean more money for other things.
This is why America lost a lot of our trucking firms to Mexico.
This is also why companies relocate to places like India.

So rather than being shy about listing that we can get a product to market cheaper, we should be banging the drums about it!

In other words you want tobe a waystop on the rush to the bottom which will leave your community at same holding a bigger bag of trouble when they leave you .

To each his own ,but to me seems better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

[Mod cut] those "other things" you refer to are multi-mega million bonuses for the top executives.But, maybe the'll say thanks as they head out.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Personal attack. Against TOS.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
In other words you want tobe....
I was watching a PBS show this weekend about president of major companies and the struggle to stay in business.

There is this one company that makes some nice winter clothes.
I think its called "The North Slope"
anyway, they fired all their workers and moved the whole factory to a different country due to one and only one thing....the lower cost of doing business there compared to the state they were located in.

What I would like to see, is that we in north Dakota go talk to the people at such a company and tell them that we have American workers who are better schooled, have a good work ethic and because of our lower cost of living in ND the outlay of cash to get good workers is very promising.

Also, I would hope we could work with the taxes to sweeten the deal enough to coax some work back to America.

Either we start to learn how to compete in the worldwide labor market, or soon we have nothing left in Fargo but a few self-service gas stations for people gassing up to get out of town.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
if you really think offering businesses a lower wage expectation is good for the employees...
yes, a very good selling point for attracting a new business away from Southern California would be the lower cost of living that we enjoy in Fargo.

This should be one of the top things we list to any company that is shopping around for a new location.

Trust me, the reps from Indonesia will bring up their own lower cost of living when they make their pitch....LOL

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,431,030 times
Quote:
I was watching a PBS show this weekend about president of major companies and the struggle to stay in business.

There is this one company that makes some nice winter clothes.
I think its called "The North Slope"
anyway, they fired all their workers and moved the whole factory to a different country due to one and only one thing....the lower cost of doing business there compared to the state they were located in.

What I would like to see, is that we in north Dakota go talk to the people at such a company and tell them that we have American workers who are better schooled, have a good work ethic and because of our lower cost of living in ND the outlay of cash to get good workers is very promising.

Also, I would hope we could work with the taxes to sweeten the deal enough to coax some work back to America.

Either we start to learn how to compete in the worldwide labor market, or soon we have nothing left in Fargo but a few self-service gas stations for people gassing up to get out of town.

OBVIOUSLY, If it were only the cost of a particular state,they would have moved to another state,not another country.

Your remedy for Fargo might work,IF you could get all buisness,landlords,NDSU etc etc to cut their prices by 80% just for the Fargo area or just ND.
Let us know how that comes out.

It was clear 50 years ago when Financial interests deceied to de-industrialze US in favor of a consumtion "bubble' economy what was coming.It's here.

People can leave Fargo but will be same all over.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
Responsibility to what? I vote, I pay taxes, I help out people when I can (and sometimes even when I really shouldn't). I don't take assistance like food stamps, that is for people who have ribs showing and I am definitely not starving.

Also I don't plan on having kids. Obviously I would have to work more if I had children. Reason is two fold, one I don't think I would be a real good parent and second reason with looking at how things are going I don't want to see my offspring living with all the problems that are coming down the pike. If I ever feel up to the challenge of raising a child I'll adopt. Plenty of unwanted kids out there.

And I would never get into a relationship if I didn't think if my girlfriend/wife wasn't 100 percent on board with how I want to live. It isn't fair for me or her. Maybe more people should be pickier and we would see a drop in the divorce rate in this country.

You say this is the modern world and everyone has to work, yes indeed they (and I) do. The choice is how much you work and what you really value in life. Everyone has a choice, you can have lots of nice stuff and no time or next to nothing and lots of time. I hear all the time about people complaining how their life sucks and their job sucks and how they are trapped. Who chose that? No one forced them to buy anything or have children or marry someone they don't like.

I am single, I get socked extra hard tax time. I don't qualify for 90 percent of the assistance programs in this state because I don't have children. I pay property taxes to support a school that I have no children to send to. If there is anyone that you should be complaining about it should be all the people having kids who put more thought into choosing what radio station to listen to than the creation of a new life. Utter nonsense for someone to have children and expect the government pick up the tab.

I don't like seeing tax money getting used to support people buying new cars and houses. I bought my house with money I earned. I didn't get a HUD loan or a huge tax incentive to buy my place. No handouts here. I paid off my first place in 8 months. Since I hate debt I worked very hard at a high paying but dangerous job so I could have the freedom later of not having to worry about a monthly payment. When I made real good money I got to see more than 40 percent of my check go to the government so don't tell me about wasting your tax dollars. Everything I have other than my house I bought up front with cash I saved.

I'm with you on this one, though having lived in Wisconsin most of my life I have a desire to return there compared to where I am now.

Still, I'd be silly to leave.. I own a nice yet inexpensive piece of real estate that only cost 1x my annual income assuming I work no overtime, which I aspire to do as much as possible.

Sometimes it gets annoying having to work with people who are exactly like how you describe.. they want an in your face lifestyle filled with nonstop stimulation, and they think there is something wrong with you for not wanting to take the overtime available and work 60 hours a week, every week, all summer long.

They worship the money, and what they can buy with it... rather then enjoying a more relaxing, laid back lifestyle.. buying used cars and keeping them maintained, etc. That, o

I'm not saying I'm a cheapskate or anything.. I've got a nice surround sound system and things like that, but in the end, I do air on the side of thriftiness and this is probably why I won't get married or have children either, because very, very few women share this philosophy/lifestyle. It's very possible to raise kids affordably without breaking the bank with useless toys, fancy houses, big SUVs, etc. and I find most people are not grateful for what they have, but rather have this attitude like they deserve a certain lifestyle, that it's unacceptable that they don't have a new car, not thinking about how much of the world lives on very little and has to work much harder for what they have.

I'm extremely grateful for what I have, though I wish I lived someplace where the winters weren't so.. never-ending and bitter... even in WI they are considerably milder with the jetstream favoring warm gulf air vs. bitter canadian air much more often.

Where abouts in central WI are you? Some of the areas I've thought about moving too are the Portage/Wisconsin Dells area, and further northeast up around Appleton or Sheboygan. Originally from the Grafton area. Grafton has become very upscale, just like Mequon.. a beautiful town, but expensive, with high property taxes. I don't want to give up this depression-proof secure good paying job though. I'd rather delay gratification a few years and stockpile some bullion. I guess in that since I should take some of the overtime. haha.

With that said, a good alternative to Fargo would be Sioux Falls.. considerably warmer, with a bit more culture and sophistication.. just a bit though. Plenty of work too, and cheap property taxes if you don't live in either Brookings or Minehaha counties.

Last edited by stockwiz; 10-08-2009 at 06:38 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,936 times
im 22... i usuly spend most of my time traveling away from fargo... but if you know the right people or go to collage there are some very great times you could have if your the partyn type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo