U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 22,040 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been offered a good job in Fargo and am seriously considering accepting it. I am southern raised, but have resided in northern New England for the last few years so I do not expect weather to be too harsh.

Out here, and other places I have been, there are motels with lesser amenities that rent a room by the week. Typically single level older structures that basically offer you a room with a fridge/micro. Typical rates run about 150-200 a week.

This would be ideal for me as it would give me some time to explore and locate housing I like long term. Question is:

Are there places like this in the Fargo area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 PM

994 posts, read 635,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniDW View Post
Hi,

I have been offered a good job in Fargo and am seriously considering accepting it. I am southern raised, but have resided in northern New England for the last few years so I do not expect weather to be too harsh.

Out here, and other places I have been, there are motels with lesser amenities that rent a room by the week. Typically single level older structures that basically offer you a room with a fridge/micro. Typical rates run about 150-200 a week.

This would be ideal for me as it would give me some time to explore and locate housing I like long term. Question is:

Are there places like this in the Fargo area?
This place has a weekly rate, not sure how much it costs. The only other hotels I know of are probably at $50 per night.

Welcome to --- R E D R I V E R L O D G E --- (http://redriverfargo.com/specialoffers.html - broken link)

Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 22,040 times
Thanks for your reply FargoBison, I appreciate it.

I checked the property and they do a weekly rate of $308 for a room with a continental breakfast. It is a little more than I was hoping to spend given the room itself lacks a small fridge, but is appearing to be my best bet.

I have tried the web, yellow pages...etc, to locate motel listings but mostly come up with chains that operate at a higher cost. Starting to think that Fargo is one of the few places in the US of sizable population with sparse mom and pop motel settings.

I appreciate your help, thank you!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM

231 posts, read 470,931 times
have you considered renting an apartment? if you're there much longer than a week, you will be saving, AND you'll have most of what you need

Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM

252 posts, read 382,902 times
Using my superior google powers, I found a list of every hotel/bed and breakfast place in Fargo. If you go to this link, you can see the list for yourself (I had issues with the site remembering the preferences. Just choose Fargo or West Fargo for the city)

https://www.ndtourism.com/wherestay/accommodations/

Yeah. Fargo has like... no mom and pop places. ONE bed and breakfast (if its nice, its in the heart of downtown which is sweet but you get to deal with LOTS of college drunks if you visit after mid-august).

But not all is lost. I also searched above link for the much overlooked West Fargo. The Sunset Motel would be worth calling (they don't have a website). I don't know about extended rates, but I had family stay there for periods at a time and I know that its cheap, privately owned, the rooms are clean and they have a waterslide/indoor pool. The link above says they have rooms with kitchens also. It is currently on the edge of Road Construction Hell but that hopefully with be over with by fall.

The cheapest place in town (not listed on the site) is the HI-10 Motel in West Fargo. Don't stay there. Although obscenely cheap and they do extended stays, the place is run down and filthy and many sex offenders live there. I used to work at a restaurant that did deliveries and one of the guys told horror stories about the place and about a customer that (at the time) had been ordering to there for 7 years and lived with (his words) a dozen cats. It also is (was? maybe it stopped) the last place in town that still does hourly rates. You get the idea.

On the minnesota side of the river, Moorhead has a handful of chain hotels (the same chains are in fargo though) but the only mom and pop place I could find at all is one of those 50's L-shaped motels called the Star-Lite Motel in Dilworth. Wikitravel says its clean and inexpensive, but Dilworth is on the far end of Moorhead (and you probably don't want to drive through two towns to get to Fargo if you're a tourist).

Now that I've searched my little heart out, I demand more mom and pop places in fargo!!! I mean REAL mom and pop. Privately-owned franchise shares don't cut the mustard. :P

Edit: I found a few more places. There's a few B&Bs in fargo but they're pricey, even if they do feed you. Then there is the "Guest House Motel" in Moorhead. can find no info other than it does extended stays and the addy and phone number but a map shows that its right by a college campus (MSUM) and Romkey Park, a small park that sees far too much crime for its tiny size.

Last edited by Maude Kipz; 08-05-2009 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo