Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,430 times

Advertisements

After considering with my family to move to a different place, North Dakota has been brought often. I am a student who is attending community college here in Los Angeles, CA. I work 2 jobs and go to school full time; believe it or not Im used to sleeping 3 to 4 hours a night so its not a big deal for me. Due to all the cuts, raise of taxes, and living in a expensive state; California is a hard place to live. My belief is, if you have a goa thatl you are working on,you will be willing to work as hard as you can to achieve it; even if its working everyday. Right now in California one could work everyday to achieve a goal but still cant get it. A good example is with college here in this state. As of recently in so cal if you are not an out of state student or a foreigner you will not have priority on classes or transfer to a University. Schools out here want the big bucks from the out of state tuition students due to all the heavy cuts on schools . For me it has become a reality, at my community college I cannot get any classes since my date has been pushed back due to over crowding and the need of more out of state/ foreigner students.

Looking at North dakota from this forum and others, many state North Dakota is the place to go. From what I understand there is no wait list at schools, schools arent overcrowded, and living is cheap in Fargo, ND. I know moving is the only way I can succeed, and with 2 jobs and going to school full time I dont have no time with my family. Hoping in north Dakota I can just work 1 job and go to school full time. I will be using my Gi bill benefits once I transfer to a university. My questions are

- how is the job market in Fargo, ND? from what I understand mostly Agricultural and labor jobs.

- can you live on minimum wage/Low wages in Fargo and still go to school? This questin may be a stretch and probably unrealistic but my wife would also be working as well.

- I do not have any special skills but can be willing to work and learn any new jobs, and if so do such jobs exist for me in Fargo.

- How is the rent like in Fargo? I have read rent varies 500-1000 for a 2 bedroom. I am looking for a 2 bedroom going for around 500 or 600. And if so I need a property management to contact, I have read to stay away from gold star company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,004,102 times
I don't want to sound negative. But if you are not used to a cold climate I suggest waiting until late spring until moving up this way. Mid-May at the earliest.

You may have better Luck finding a place to rent in West Fargo or Moorhead. MN.

I would suggest you first get a job lined up. Some possibilities Walmart, K-Mart, Sanford Health Care,

Some links to look at:

Fargo Jobs (ND) | Simply Hired

Career Fargo Moorhead - Jobs Fargo North Dakota Moorhead Minnesota

Jobs, Employment in Fargo, ND | Indeed.com

At the same time look at getting enrolled in School

Some links about education opportunities in the Fargo area

Fargo Colleges in Fargo, ND

Fargo Moorhead Area Schools

Once you get a job and school enrollment wrapped up begin looking for an apartment or house. If you are planning on the long term a house is probably your best option.

Some links

APARTMENTS

HOUSES 1

HOUSES 2

Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,430 times
Thanks for the links, it will definitely help me out. What is best right now is to move away from California as soon as possible.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,004,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roukiemonster View Post
Thanks for the links, it will definitely help me out. What is best right now is to move away from California as soon as possible.
If you plan on coming up here. Be ready for a big change in climate. We seem to get our worse weather in Feb. Expect temps as low as 35 below Zero and with the wind chill getting down to 50 or more below. Plan to stay indoors a lot until April. I can't say about Fargo I'm out in a rural area about 100 miles from Fargo. We have fairly frequent power outages. I usually go to Faro about once a week.

Well if that is what you want to do, go for it. But be ready for the cold. I would suggest on waiting till you get up here to buy most of your winter clothing. Actually, The Salvation Army and Good Will thrift stores are a pretty good place to get it.

Feel free to DM me if you need any help.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM

73 posts, read 175,372 times
Hi,

Something you may want to check into, is if your college credits will transfer to NDSU in Fargo or to Morehead MN college. Sometimes credits transfer, other times they do not. Also I am not sure if you have taken your ACT or SAT exams, if not you may want to ask about that as well as I do know NDSU requires an ACT but not sure about Morehead.

We do get very cold in the winters with quite a bit of snow. Not sure if you plan on driving up here, but I would make sure and have a relatively new battery and good tires as well as winter survival kit in the vehical before you make the move. Good luck...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM

431 posts, read 1,602,233 times
I used my GI Bill here in Minot State University. Jobs and apartments are now available, depending on your major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: