U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM

180 posts, read 447,380 times

Advertisements

I don't think a full grocery store would happen, but I think a bodega of some sort would be a great addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 PM

625 posts, read 1,606,434 times
Years ago there used to be one where Zandbroz and I think the store to the south of them is now--Leebys. Neat family run place w/a really good variety for the size store. The meats dept was like an old time butchershop and a really yummy all from scratch bakery. I think they've been gone about 20 years or so. Zandbroz is 18 yrs old. Of course, downtown was a lot different then, too. The other store I really missed when it closed was Tischart's fabrics...that was closer to 35 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
what is missing? the customer-base needed to support a grocery store there, people in fargo aren't very interested in making concessions for convenience. heck, i live in a city because i like all of the niceties, better quality products, and the variety.

low prices are another key, and i know that i wouldn't be willing to pay extra for the convenience of buying groceries downtown when i'm already driving past a larger retailer home or to work; plus, a smaller store wouldn't be able to benefit from the economy scale like cash-wise, hornbacher's, etc. add those things together with people who would rather drive than walk (this is america, right? no one walks unless they're too poor for a car, right?), the lack of parking and difficulty in driving around the downtown area, and americans buy groceries on a much longer time-scale (read: bigger loads, harder to carry), and... suddenly, i don't see a grocery store succeeding there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or