U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:42 AM

252 posts, read 580,755 times

Advertisements

The "grocery in downtown fargo" thread sparked some thinking on my part, so you can blame that for this thread.

Now, just about everyone that remembers downtown fargo 20 years ago can admit that new downtown fargo beats the pants off of it. Its no longer awkward to drive around, no ugly off-white overhangs, buildings that have been shut down as long as I've been alive have thriving businesses in them. The cheapest, dirtiest apartments in town have been replaced with upscale condos. The whole place is slowly being polished up and its really getting to look great.

However, there's always room for improvement and there's still quite a few empty spots that could have some great attractions for fargo. So I ask my fellow fargoans (and anyone else who wishes fargo had something when they visit): what would YOU like to see in downtown fargo? and why do you think it'd be best downtown instead of other parts of fargo?

Know what I would love to see if a big enough spot opened up downtown? An aquarium. I would go there every time I could afford it. Fish have been proven to be relaxing so it'd help out the college kids and people who want some downtime on their lunch break. It'd be within walking distance of two upscale hotels. It'd be right off of multiple bus lines, so anyone staying anywhere in fargo could go see it. It'd bring in money for the city. People of all ages could go (not just the 21+ crowd). They can easily be built on the vertical so they don't take up a lot of land. And the parts of aquariums that teach could go on and on about the Red River so its even educational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 AM

17 posts, read 58,273 times
More late night eateries. I know there is the Drunken Noodle, Wasabi,Erberts and Gerberts and Pita Pit, but the more the better. An aquarium would be awesome, I don't know how well it would be supported, but then again Duluth has an aquarium and they are roughly the same size (though, they do get more tourists for their scenary) I still think a small aquarium could work. I just hope it wouldn't be one of those "local" aquariums and have species native to the Red Raven. I don't want to see catfish and goldeneye.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
An conservatory/indoor public garden/greenspace--Winnipeg has one at the Assiboine Park, St. Paul in Como Park, and there is a great one in Grand Rapids MI at the Meijer Gardens. In the bleak midwinter, it would be fabulous to be surrounded lush green plants.

Given Fargo's soils--structurally building a vertical aquarium would be very difficult because of the substantial weight of water.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:12 AM

231 posts, read 649,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
Its no longer awkward to drive around
i used to visit places that are/were on broadway, but i got tired of how long it takes me to get there, get around, and leave (much like main avenue through moorhead, but that's another story), so i started finding alternative places to get what i want. in the last eight years, the only reasons i've gone to the "downtown" area (someone needs to declare objective boundaries, that term is vague) are to stop at paradox or the avalon. nothing else there is worth the frustration and time investment of all the transportation problems.

has "silent crossings" permanently turned anyone else away from main avenue? the asinine way that the administration implemented that already not very good idea is horrible.
does the timing of lights on broadway bother anyone else?
the people who turn left and completely stop traffic?
parking? getting into and out of parking on broadway is pathetic.

what the "downtown" area needs is better organization. mobility is key, and that's something the planning committees can't seem to grasp.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM

19 posts, read 44,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
does the timing of lights on broadway bother anyone else?
the people who turn left and completely stop traffic?
parking? getting into and out of parking on broadway is pathetic.
Yes, Broadway sucks for driving and parking. I'd use 2nd, 4th, or Roberts St. for going North-South in that area, and I'd try to park elsewhere too. If you go by that you should do a lot better.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
ok, ok... its LESS awkward to drive around. :P I have yet to be to a bigger-city downtown that isn't littered with annoying one-ways and impossible left hand turns though. I was just comparing it to how it was before the renovation and pre-renovation there was all that junk you had to look around just to see if a car was coming. But talking about changing the traffic is about as likely as the town finally getting rid of the trains that run through downtown that cream at least one person a year.

So those two things aside, I was more focused on attractions/businesses/facilities. For those who just want to complain about living in fargo, what would make your living here BETTER? This is your chance to speak up, so stop complaining and start thinking critically. :P

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 PM

231 posts, read 649,801 times
who will listen to wishes made by a board of nobodies?

it's not a matter of being positive, it's a matter of being realistic. i listed my interests. if anything, expecting the removal of trains (which support the survival of the fittest) is a bit more far-fetched than expecting the rerouting of traffic signals. regardless, i cannot show enough disdain for the "silent crossings" nonsense and how much that has crippled the area around the railroad crossings.

the only thing that stops me from going someplace else is seeing that life everywhere is just as fraught with frustrations, so it is less expensive and easier to continue living here with the difficulties that i already know. if that means ignoring the "downtown" area at all hours except for dancing at the avalon on tuesdays, i'm capable and willing.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM

180 posts, read 447,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
if that means ignoring the "downtown" area at all hours except for dancing at the avalon on tuesdays, i'm capable and willing.
how is that anyway? i've walked by a couple times on tuesday nights and have seen quite a crowd in there dancing and seemingly having a great time...

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM

77 posts, read 268,395 times
the downtown fargo 2.0 is great but i have always wished it had more of a skyline...i realize there are various practicality issues with this...but one would think that if the businesses that came in the 90's located themselves downtown instead of SW fargo, we have a more appropriate skyline for fargo's impressive economy

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,531 times
Fargo soils can't support an impressive skyline. The Radisson is pretty much as impressive as it's going to get that close to the river, and the footings for that go down nearly 100 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or