Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM

24 posts, read 93,545 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Good and bad (especially welcome) experiences will be much appreciated.

Thanks, as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

231 posts, read 735,203 times
Don't use VOIP (telephone service from your internet service provider):
1) if your internet service is down, so is your telephone
2) if you actually USE your internet connection, your telephone will be poor
3) landlines don't use electricity
DSL is a great choice because of the bundling price with telephone services, but you have to be fairly close to the node (typically within about 1mile). With DSL, you get what you pay for: a line that is not shared with your neighborhood. DSL has been the best service at my home because it's had the best up-time and most consistent speeds.
Cable is a shared connection with your neighborhood. When everyone is using their connection, everyone is slower. I don't know about Midcontinent, but Cable One will throttle you based on how much you upload or download.
Midcontinent offers the fastest up and down connections, but they're still a shared connection. Rumor has it that they actually built sufficient infrastructure to support the bandwidth they sell... but that is just rumor.

For television, it depends on what you watch and what you want. Cable is pretty consistent, and makes it much easier to connect multiple televisions in different rooms. Satellite offers many channels (and better high resolution channels), but it is more costly to have multiple televisions.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 AM

24 posts, read 93,545 times
We use Dish TV now where we live (out of state) and we hate that it goes down with a gush of the wind. Is DirecTV any better? I saw a good-priced bundle (only for the first 12 months) and I noticed they offer a good channel line-up. We just have basic plan on DishTV and local channels but we NEED DVR

Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM

252 posts, read 659,838 times
actually, this topic interests me. I'm making the big move west (from fargo lol) and I was wondering about halfway decent internet that isn't cable one. I don't care about cable myself (that's what hulu and legal downloading is for) but I do need my internet. I can do wireless or ethernet and what's the best deal? I haven't even known anyone that's done midcontinent until now. Just qwest or cable one and I really don't want to give them my money unless I have to.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,241,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamestill View Post
We use Dish TV now where we live (out of state) and we hate that it goes down with a gush of the wind. Is DirecTV any better? I saw a good-priced bundle (only for the first 12 months) and I noticed they offer a good channel line-up. We just have basic plan on DishTV and local channels but we NEED DVR
Haven't had an issue with Direct, it might go out if it is a really bad storm. The big thing is to get it installed right and either Dish or Direct should work fine. That said, Dish has gone downhill a bit in other areas, I've heard they have been doing some goofy things with their HD channels. My friend and his dad run a business that installs satellite TV and they both choose Direct over Dish.

As for the original poster, get Direct TV or MidCon. I would probably get internet with MidCon because I cannot stand either Qwest or Cableone(I've had major issues with both). When we got internet with Qwest it didn't work right away and they blamed us due to faulty wiring or something like that in our house. It ended up that they never hooked it up to our house. It took them a month to figure that out.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 AM

82 posts, read 257,982 times
We've got phone, DSL, DirecTV and mobile phone all through Qwest. There's a pretty good discount if you get them all though Qwest - that and you pay one bill per month for the lot.

In the past, I've had cable one for phone, internet and cable - and didn't have any issues with them. I happened to like the DirecTV channel linup better, hence the move to Qwest.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM

231 posts, read 735,203 times
FYI, Qwest is partnered with Verizon now, so you would have the best wireless service in the country.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 AM

9 posts, read 26,005 times
I had Qwest when I lived in Wyoming. Personally, I wouldn't go with them. The speed they say you'll get up to is rarely the speed you're actually working at. When in Wyoming we were paying $60 a month for DSL service (5 mg down 1 mg up) and we consistently ran at about 2.5 down and half a meg up. It was AWFUL.

We have cable internet through Midcontinent and they have some pretty awesome promo's going right now. We got a free install and it's $15/month for 15 mg down 1 mg up. We check our speed pretty often and we are almost always running between 13.5 and 14.5 mg down, .99 mg up. It's faster than Qwest, it's A LOT cheaper than Qwest, and it's been reliable since the day we got it.

BUT as far as TV service goes, I wouldn't go with Midcontinent, it's expensive. Honestly... we pay $12 a month for a Netflix membership and we can hook up our blu-ray player to the internet and watch streaming movies and tv shows from Netflix. Any TV shows that are on currently that we like have their episodes posted online. I just don't see a point in paying money for TV service when I can watch the shows I want on my computer or TV at my convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: