U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,091,803 times

Advertisements

It all depends on what you are comparing Fargo too? If you compare it to a similar size city and similar distance from a major metro....I think there could be no better than Fargo. Certainly there is more to do down in the Twin Cities or any larger city. But I also always wonder what more someone could want as well. I think Fargo in and itself does an excellent job of giving its residents things to do via the park district and other avenues. I live in the Grand Forks area....and agree about notifying people about things going on or activities. I often dont hear about registrations for certain kids events/sporting until after the deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,896,851 times
Marge Gunderson rules Fargo with an iron fist. She makes Joe Arpaio look like a Cub Scout.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 PM

231 posts, read 650,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Marge Gunderson
Your name belies your actions; fiction has no place in a thread asking for factual information.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 58,294 times
Fargo doesn't revolve around the farming community at all, at least not anymore. I would say most people here are in banking,healthcare, high tech and then yes agriculture (though more to do with ag technology now) The previous person must not have lived here for a long time. So why they are commenting on a Fargo thread is bizarre to me. I am actually moving to D.C. soon but it is for an excellent opportunity. I don't hate this place at all.

There is actually a really good indie/punk/hardcore scene here. Downtown is actually pretty nice now and for the most part you can be kept pretty active. The metro is about 200,000 so its smaller than a lot of big cities but it provides a lot for its residents. The economy is good for many reasons but "boredom" is not one of them. Also, I would not call it a retirement community. Retirement communities don't have a median age of 30. It's a "family town" and a "college town" if you want to get to the gist of it.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich19 View Post
Fargo doesn't revolve around the farming community at all, at least not anymore. I would say most people here are in banking,healthcare, high tech and then yes agriculture (though more to do with ag technology now) The previous person must not have lived here for a long time. So why they are commenting on a Fargo thread is bizarre to me.

Also, I would not call it a retirement community. Retirement communities don't have a median age of 30. It's a "family town" and a "college town" if you want to get to the gist of it.
Actually, I just left there in April 2009 during the flood. So it hasn't been that long. Not sure how you can say it doesn't revolve around farming when there is Case, RDO, etc. And high tech, I'm not sure where you are talking about because my husband is very tech savy (education, experience, and certifications) and he couldn't find any positions. Fargo is a farming & retirement community. Look at all the retirement homes/facilities around town. There is an awful lot of them! It is very much a college town. But come summer and most of the college students are gone, it is very much a retirement town.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM

418 posts, read 1,186,330 times
And high tech, I'm not sure where you are talking about

Uhhh--Microsoft. What is it--their third largest concentration of employees?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:32 AM

252 posts, read 581,116 times
bicker bicker bicker, and yet no proof from either side. so here ya go. charts of the most common jobs with or without a degree, along with their pay and comparison to the national average. they even list fargo's top employers. sheesh. (yes, mods, I do realize this is likely a competitor's site, but I had issues finding the charts elsewhere, esp ones that compare the area to the nation)Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM

246 posts, read 904,414 times
interesting, I am in the IT field in fargo ND. got the job from out east off of a phone interview. No certifications.

Exactly what is your husband certified to do?

Reason I ask, if everywhere is looking for a Java programmer, and your a C guy, I can see why you are having difficulty.

As for things to do out here, what is it you are wanting to do exactly?

Maybe laying that out would make it easier for someone to determine if its there or not? And a personal preference as to why you won't do activity X in Fargo when it is available in Fargo isn't the same as saying its not there.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,066,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved2SD View Post
Actually, I just left there in April 2009 during the flood. So it hasn't been that long. Not sure how you can say it doesn't revolve around farming when there is Case, RDO, etc. And high tech, I'm not sure where you are talking about because my husband is very tech savy (education, experience, and certifications) and he couldn't find any positions. Fargo is a farming & retirement community. Look at all the retirement homes/facilities around town. There is an awful lot of them! It is very much a college town. But come summer and most of the college students are gone, it is very much a retirement town.
Look at all the retirement homes/facilities everywhere, it is a booming industry as more and more people approach that age group.

Fargo is far from a farming community... Fargo/Moorhead Economic Development Corporation (http://www.gfmedc.com/employers - broken link)

Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 58,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
bicker bicker bicker, and yet no proof from either side. so here ya go. charts of the most common jobs with or without a degree, along with their pay and comparison to the national average. they even list fargo's top employers. sheesh. (yes, mods, I do realize this is likely a competitor's site, but I had issues finding the charts elsewhere, esp ones that compare the area to the nation) Moderator cut: link removed
[/url]
Thanks for the numbers Maude, I am someone who does like empirical evidence. It pretty goes along with what I said but its nice to have some facts. Though, I believe Alien Tech has gone under since that has been made. But to speak to what the previous poster said, retirement is a booming industry everywhere especially with the baby boomers. The population of the U.S. and much of the industrialized world is growing as life expectancy keeps increasing.

http://www.aoa.gov/aoaroot/aging_statistics/index.aspx

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or