U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 PM
 
137 posts, read 30,550 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Wow I recently got two pairs of fashion contact lenses (blue and green) for fun, because I saw one of my co-workers wearing a pair. I didn't know they were so controversial! Someone I know basically accused me of being self-hating and accomodating a "Euro-centric society". This person, as well as myself, works for a company whose image is typically associated with the blond-haired, blue-eyed sort of female, but I didn't enter that territory. So I googled it and there are all these sites in which people are accusing black women with weaves and colored contacts with being self-hating or ashamed of their "blackness".

Here is a picture of me wearing blue contacts:

In my profile photo I'm wearing green ones.

I see it essentially as wearing a different colored dress or changing up your shoes. I don't wish to be white or anything. I don't see how changing up your eye color is a racial issue? But I think it's the kind of people who assume what they will regardless of evidence to the contrary.
I can understand some insecure black people taking offense, but anyone else would seem strange to me. It's really popular with Asian girls to wear colored contacts, so why can't black girls do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Having seen your photos, you don't have to do anything to improve how you look
Seriously, this girl is a 10 regardless of her eye color. Jaw-dropping type of hottie. Clearly the kind of gorgeous woman I'd be too intimidated to approach in a bar!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
8,071 posts, read 7,918,607 times
Reputation: 18123
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Wow I recently got two pairs of fashion contact lenses (blue and green) for fun, because I saw one of my co-workers wearing a pair. I didn't know they were so controversial! Someone I know basically accused me of being self-hating and accomodating a "Euro-centric society". This person, as well as myself, works for a company whose image is typically associated with the blond-haired, blue-eyed sort of female, but I didn't enter that territory. So I googled it and there are all these sites in which people are accusing black women with weaves and colored contacts with being self-hating or ashamed of their "blackness".

Here is a picture of me wearing blue contacts:

In my profile photo I'm wearing green ones.

Actually, I rather like the green ones on you. And they probably look convincing (I've seen a fair share of blacks with greenish-hazel eyes). Blue ones never look "right" on brown eyes, though ~ at least, to me, anyway.

But I don't see that as being much different from women changing the color or their hair, or wearing hairpieces, or fake tans.

Most of my life I hated seeing bleached out hair on blacks, but the 90's popularized blond hues on black women and I adapted to the look. Now I like it, although ~ like everything else ~ it depends on the individual.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh's 'EAST SIDE'
2,043 posts, read 3,268,390 times
Reputation: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I'll never understand why black people get pissed off about this. You can't control your daughter, and yet it's the Korean (or whatever) store owner's fault for setting up a business in order to pay the bills? That's ridiculous. If your daughter doesn't know any better, it is up to you to teach her.
You don't know anything about me or my daughter, except for that little wee bit of information, I shared on here, regarding the contact lenses, so please keep it the hell movin'.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,435 posts, read 1,272,218 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You don't know anything about me or my daughter, except for that little wee bit of information, I shared on here, regarding the contact lenses, so please keep it the hell movin'.

Don't take anything that poster you quoted says personally. She basically insults everyone and anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: South FL
9,444 posts, read 10,176,593 times
Reputation: 7894
OP: although I'm not a fan of contacts, I think they look great on you. I think many will agree with me here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,457,510 times
Reputation: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You don't know anything about me or my daughter, except for that little wee bit of information, I shared on here, regarding the contact lenses, so please keep it the hell movin'.
Nope.

You posted that you can't control your daughters shopping habits, then you threw in a bit of racism against Asian shop owners who are meeting the shopping demands of the neighborhood. And I chose to comment.

Welcome to the Internet, I hope you like your stay here.

Helping you out for the future: if you don't want comments about your lifestyle, don't post about it. Once you say it, it's fair game.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,457,510 times
Reputation: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Don't take anything that poster you quoted says personally. She basically insults everyone and anything.
I have no idea who you are; your handle doesn't even ring a bell.

If you find me so objectionable, why do you follow my posts so closely that you can say how I answer "every" post?

I suggest you spend your free time doing things you like, rather than dwelling on the words of a total stranger you will never meet.

LIfe is meant to be enjoyed. Stop keeping a spreadsheet tracing CD posters who don't do it for you. It's weird.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,435 posts, read 1,272,218 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I have no idea who you are; your handle doesn't even ring a bell.

If you find me so objectionable, why do you follow my posts so closely that you can say how I answer "every" post?

I suggest you spend your free time doing things you like, rather than dwelling on the words of a total stranger you will never meet.

LIfe is meant to be enjoyed. Stop keeping a spreadsheet tracing CD posters who don't do it for you. It's weird.
I read posts on this forum and your user id sticks out because I find you are very very harsh with your comments. In the posts that I have read you never show any empathy. Maybe you are a nice person in real life. It just doesn't come across that way on here. Trust me I am not following you. I actually think you are kind of weird as well and I'm going to put you on my ignore list from now on. Did you know cd has that feature? Perhaps you should put me on your ignore list that way we will BOTH be happy
Also, you're hypocritical. You said I dwell on a strangers words I will never meet. And what is it that you are doing by replying to MY posts????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,457,510 times
Reputation: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I read posts on this forum and your user id sticks out because I find you are very very harsh with your comments. In the posts that I have read you never show any empathy. Maybe you are a nice person in real life. It just doesn't come across that way on here. Trust me I am not following you. I actually think you are kind of weird as well and I'm going to put you on my ignore list from now on. Did you know cd has that feature? Perhaps you should put me on your ignore list that way we will BOTH be happy
Also, you're hypocritical. You said I dwell on a strangers words I will never meet. And what is it that you are doing by replying to MY posts????
I have commented to your posts because I am on a thread talking to other people, and you said something about me. Tomorrow I probably will no longer remember any of this conversation we are having.

No I'm not putting you on my ignore list - I don't know who you are and therefore i don't have a problem with you. I am happy whether I see your handle or not, because you are meaningless to me.

It's pretty clear you take internet forums far more seriously than I do. Do yourself a favor and step back a bit. Seriously.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,435 posts, read 1,272,218 times
Reputation: 2186
OngletNYC you are meaningless to me as well, Finally, something we can agree on.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top