Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times

Advertisements

Literary tattoos, hurray! It's a quote by Frost, if you don't recognize it.

I posted the hare a while ago, but it turns out there's another tattoo in the same style on the other thigh.

Her stretched labret and chin tattoo are my favourite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Me! I like ink as well. I have three, do plan on getting another or two or three more (LOL) they are like chips, you can't just have one! I do have my limits though. I wouldn't put them somewhere that would make it difficult for me to get a job like all down on my arms, neck, etc... I have mine on my back and both ankles... love them!
My b/f got his first tattoo recently and he's ready for another and this guy is the most conservative guy you could meet but always wanted one and just needed the motivation (me) to get it.

I like looking at other peoples tattoos too. I think they are really cool and sometimes they have good stories behind them.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztwenty4door View Post

under a black light
Now THAT is cool! I had heard of tats like this but haven't seen one. Really cool. Who'd a thunk it? A glow in the dark tattoo!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
6 tats and 7 piercings and one suspension. I've removed 4 piercings that I can remember.

The piercings are:
Left nostril X 2
Left eyebrow X 2
Left earlobe X2
-----2 guage and 6 guage
Left nipple

My first tattoo was a bit of a hack job. I got it when I was 18. The letters
LOTT on my left shoulder. It was a tribute to the first song that I ever played on stage.

Second tattoo came pretty soon after that. The bass line for the Aerosmith song Sweet Emotion as an armband. The first song I ever learned to play on bass.

Both are visible here

My next tattoo is the Egyptian god Anpu on my left calf. Got that in remembrance of the two years that I spent living in Egypt. I've also always been interested in mythology. Anpu was one of the gods of the Egyptian underworld. He assisted in the weighing of the deceased's heart against a feather to determine the fate of the soul. Also a reminder for me to make good choices in life.

I followed that up with my favorite piece. It's a Christian cross inside a Rorschach inkblot with Einstein's equation replacing ENRI on the cross. My take on religion, science and perception.

My next was a copy one of the original cuneiform tablets of the Sumerian Gilgamesh epic. This particular version totally blew me away. A 5000+ year old piece of literature that was so unmistakably a piece of literary art work. The passage I have tattooed is about Gilgamesh discussing his friend Enkidu's upcoming death. Enkidu is upset that the gods have decided to punish him by death. Gilgamesh tells him not to blame the gods for taking away all the Enkidu holds dear because they gave it to him in the first place. A pretty advanced outlook on life

My most recent tattoo (not last, I hope) is the Yellow Brick Road from my favorite movie/book, The Wizard of Oz (which I've read in English, French and Swedish). It starts at my belly button and winds its way down to ... oz.

EDIT: Doh! I also have a tattoo of my enlarged thumbprint on my left shoulder. A statement towards all the people that walk into a tattoo parlor and say "I want that flower that everyone else has tattooed on my skin forever to show how original I am".
Those all sound awesome! Wish we could see pics!! I'm a BIG fan of Egyptian gods / goddesses. I have Bastet in her full cat form on my ankle and on my other ankle, her father's image, the Eye of Ra (Ra said to be her father).

I do also love Hindu as well and I'm thinking of getting Shiva and under that the lotus flower with some kind of phrase in Hindu and while I don't practice this religion, my readings on it have been enough that I do share a lot of their beliefs...

I like thinking that I at least put SOME thought into what I'm getting vs marching into my tattoo shop and picking some random already done tat. LOL

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
In response to JustJulia, yes, it's a key. A very stylized one.

I'm sorry that we're not all old and bitter and rude like you are.

I'm 40 and still planning more tattoos. I don't give a rats a$$ who likes or doesn't like them LOL They are for me, have personal meaning to me and I enjoy showing them and talking about them to someone if they ask. If they don't, I don't worry about. I just figure they're not for everyone and I respect that everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Not to be off topic to far but since tattooing is a painful process that leaves the skin injured and swollen I just don't get what the attraction is to doing this.

People don't otherwise injure themselves if they are normal so why this?

LOL, I had to laugh at this and some of your other posts. I think you secretly have a fascination with tattoos but are afraid yourself to ever have one done...

I could be wrong though .

Umm all kidding aside. Does it hurt and are we "injuring" ourselves? Yes and No.

You see, the phsyical aspect of tattooing is basically taking a very sharp needle and just scraping the top surface of the skin whilst transferring ink into the skin. If getting scratched hurts you then yes, tattooing would definitely be a painful experience.

On the other hand it depends a lot on where you are having it done, how big or small it is, etc.. What type of skin you have... there are variables.

I have had three tattoos, I have a fairly large one across my lower back (I hate the term "tramp stamp" as I don't fit that "tramp" name but alas, I digress. It is what it is and I love it. That took about 3 hours. The most painful parts where when the artist had to go back and forth over areas where I had some light stretch marks, yeah, that hurt.

The one on both ankle? The smaller one hurt more. My placement put it right over the bone, those always hurt.

I think those who appreciate the art of ink and tattooing don't view the act of getting one as "I'm damaging myself"... I have skin, I love how they look and the pain (if any, and there isn't always) is secondary to just the plan of getting it, the placement, the look when it's done. It's shiney because it's been given a coating to help keep the ink from smearing, it's then usually covered in saran or surgical covering.

Given that it's a scrape, it does eventually scab over and peel but here again, everyone is different. Not all tattoos go through this.

While we are glad you are here asking questions, please remember that this thread WAS made for those in true appreciation of body work, be it tattoos or piercings and you really should respect peoples opinions and be nice or don't say anything at all.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Tatoos on women are certainly less destructive than on men, IMO. But, my problem is that being married to a pretty good artist, I am looking at pretty good art often, what with her work, art openings friends gallery visits and my own collection (not bragging, just saying).

I'm not sure I ever saw a tatoo that I would consider "good art." Many exhibit incredible craft. But, show me one that stands alone as good art other than because of a really interesting girl as the canvas. That tatoo immediately above this post is not only not good art, its horrible art. I wouldn't want to see that on a cocktail tray in a strip bar.
You'd be surprised. My tattoo artist isn't only a phenomenal tattoo artist. But, he's also an accomplished canvas artist and has had his work displayed at a couple of local art galleries. His talent goes far beyond the skin and he's had no formal training.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Here's an artisitic one:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Here's an artisitic one:
I really like the brightness of the pink that's used in that one.

As for it being 'artistic'... maybe it was a picture drawn by his/her child? Maybe it's an inside joke with family?

I have a Mom tattoo on my arm. My mom HATES tattoos. I got it on Mother's day a few years back.... and even she has to chuckle a little bit when she see's it because it's kind of ridiculous. I love my Mom tattoo

Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Default Mine

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty