U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 AM

8,868 posts, read 13,847,311 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any that actually work for scars, uneven skin tone, freckles, blemishes, age spots?

I'll bet you're thinking I'm just one big walking constellation.....lol. But I wonder if any of the claims are actually true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,676,373 times
Default Shiseido

Have you looked at Shiseido? They have some really good products, although they're pretty pricey. They have something called Brightening that is supposed to help with age/sun spots etc.. Or how about laser treatments? I had some to help remove my milasmia (sp?)

Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,099,951 times
I use the "Dr Fred Summitt Skin Whitener" I'm a light skinned black woman. I had a huge dark scar on my leg. It has lighten nicely. I purchased from "Rite-Aid" or "CVS".

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Anyone know of any that actually work for scars, uneven skin tone, freckles, blemishes, age spots?

I'll bet you're thinking I'm just one big walking constellation.....lol. But I wonder if any of the claims are actually true.
Overall - regular exfoliation, Ph balanced face wash, proper hydration(lotion & drinking water), possible toner needed. Those will make all those problems appear better in current healing state. Also having a good diet comes into play too. Tons of write ups online about whats good/bad for your skin. (But basically lotsa veggies, proper intake of healthy fats, stay away from junk, caffeine, smoking etc)

•scars- exfoliation (glycol home peel, mederma, topical vit c) next step = derm office
Scars are tricky and not all respond the same.

•uneven skin tone- hydration, getting rid of dead dull skin surface (glycol home peel 1x week, AHA face lotion OR BHA for acne times, topical vit c)

•freckles- natural pigmentation. Lemon can lighten but this is a derm office only. The harsh skin bleaches can be dangerous. But they are cute! Leave em!

•blemishes- exfoliation and treat them ASAP. 1st reduce swelling with: ice or honey or cortaid (not for eye area use). Gently exfoliate with a peel. Sometimes using manual exfoliation can make it worse. Leave topical treatment on that does not irritate the skin. (teen products can be too drying for adult skin sometimes)

•age spots- glycol peel. This is a sign of sun damage if you are not in your 70's so make sure you get your skin screened for cancer yearly if you have a lot of age spots, 70s or not. The derm can also peel or laser these off.

Peels that worked and I noticed a difference in 1 use:
bliss peeling groovy - 20% off catalog offer - bliss

Its worth the money as a little bit goes a long way. It is suppose to get rid of age spots too. I just noticed my freckles got lighter.

Best for acne that does not over dry my skin:
Blemish Clearing Serum - Blemished / Oily / Acne

Its also good to mix with a little coconut oil to use over your legs after shaving. It keeps razor bumps away. A little goes a long way. If you use too much your skin will feel sticky. I basically use one drop and wet hands and just pat it all over when breakouts are coming on.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM

848 posts, read 1,624,055 times
Look on the product labels for the ingredient Hydroquinone. It's the most common chemical used for lightening spots. Most OTC products have 2%, but there are others available from dermatologists or over the Internet that have 4%. It does a very good job of evening skin tone, however, to maintain the look it must be used continuously.

Poster above has other great suggestions.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM

8,868 posts, read 13,847,311 times
Thanks to all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Overall - regular exfoliation, Ph balanced face wash, proper hydration(lotion & drinking water), possible toner needed. Those will make all those problems appear better in current healing state. Also having a good diet comes into play too. Tons of write ups online about whats good/bad for your skin. (But basically lotsa veggies, proper intake of healthy fats, stay away from junk, caffeine, smoking etc)

•scars- exfoliation (glycol home peel, mederma, topical vit c) next step = derm office
Scars are tricky and not all respond the same.

•uneven skin tone- hydration, getting rid of dead dull skin surface (glycol home peel 1x week, AHA face lotion OR BHA for acne times, topical vit c)

•freckles- natural pigmentation. Lemon can lighten but this is a derm office only. The harsh skin bleaches can be dangerous. But they are cute! Leave em!

•blemishes- exfoliation and treat them ASAP. 1st reduce swelling with: ice or honey or cortaid (not for eye area use). Gently exfoliate with a peel. Sometimes using manual exfoliation can make it worse. Leave topical treatment on that does not irritate the skin. (teen products can be too drying for adult skin sometimes)

•age spots- glycol peel. This is a sign of sun damage if you are not in your 70's so make sure you get your skin screened for cancer yearly if you have a lot of age spots, 70s or not. The derm can also peel or laser these off.

Peels that worked and I noticed a difference in 1 use:
bliss peeling groovy - 20% off catalog offer - bliss

Its worth the money as a little bit goes a long way. It is suppose to get rid of age spots too. I just noticed my freckles got lighter.

Best for acne that does not over dry my skin:
Blemish Clearing Serum - Blemished / Oily / Acne

Its also good to mix with a little coconut oil to use over your legs after shaving. It keeps razor bumps away. A little goes a long way. If you use too much your skin will feel sticky. I basically use one drop and wet hands and just pat it all over when breakouts are coming on.
Wow, you're on top of things. I really have one or two of these issues. No freckles, I'd keep them for sure. But it's good to know.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,721,568 times
Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum

I know a lady who had age spots on her hands. She started using Boots Protect & Perfect lotion (above link) on her face, and then would rub the excess lotion into her hands when she was done rubbing it into her face. She said after a few months she realized that the age spots on her hands were barely visible. She showed me her hands and I couldn't see any age spots at all.

I haven't tried it, but I have used some other Boots No.7 products and I really like them. I'm not crazy about lotions with scents in them, though, so I have switched to unscented formula's... but aside from the smell I really did like Boots. Target carries the line now at least where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty