U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times

Advertisements

I've done some google searches, and everything says that eyelashes don't turn grey.

The hair on my head rapidly started greying about 2 years ago (26 years old). I am about 1/3 grey. Today I noticed TWO completely white eyelashes.

Has anyone had this happen? Could it be a fluke? A medical issue? Just unlucky?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,398,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I've done some google searches, and everything says that eyelashes don't turn grey.

The hair on my head rapidly started greying about 2 years ago (26 years old). I am about 1/3 grey. Today I noticed TWO completely white eyelashes.

Has anyone had this happen? Could it be a fluke? A medical issue? Just unlucky?

Thanks!
That is a COMPLETE lie. I have been dealing with 1 lone WHITE eyelash now for 2 years. It is the most annoying thing ever, especially since it has a mind of its own. It grows completely in a whole other direction than my other eyelashes. I used to plunk it, but every time it would grow back, it would grow back white and again, going the opposite direction. I cover it with mascara now. Upon looking in the mirror the other day, I have now discovered a faint white one growing out of my other eyelid..ugh! We gray early in our family. Early as in our 20's, so I have been dealing with gray hair for about approximately 20 years or so. I have gray hair EVERYWHERE, and I do mean EVERYWHERE...

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks- good to know I am not alone. They're on the bottom lid, and I don't/can't wear mascara there! I have dry eyes, and use a lot of oily eyedrops. I have yet to find a mascara that can withstand the eyedrops. I've tried all kinds of waterproof mascaras. I've decided eyedrops and make-up remover are the same thing! Haha. I can't even disguise it or I end up with racoon eyes. I hope I won't be finding more of them!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Having done snow white haired ladies make-up I can tell you that they sometimes all go white. Dye them if you need to use those eyedrops. If you have been putting on weight really easily too you should get a check up. If you do not take a multi-vitamin try one. Avoid caffeine during your meals and for an hour or so after. (all together is best, but well...some people gotta have it ☺ )

Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Well, I have been putting on weight easier... well, not really putting it on... but struggling to keep it off. I'm 5'7" and have always been between 125 and 130. Now I'm hovering between 133 and 137. I never had to put effort into it, but for about the last year it has been a calorie counting mega struggle to stay in that 5lb range. But I attributed this to approaching 30 and just the normal getting old thing.

I do take a multi-vitamin, and have only one cup of coffee a day, no other caffiene...

Is this somehow related to grey hair? Or is grey hair combined with these a sign of something more?

I have cholesterol of about 120, and have been checked for diabetes TWICE in the last 3 years due to frequent urination from excessive thirst. Everything is normal. Doc says I might just get too much salt (BP is fine).

Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Thyroid issues can make your hair go crazy. Your weight sounds like normal creeping weight changes though. If someone has thyroid issues they gain/lose 15 or more without trying easily.

Caffeine can mess with the body's ability to get nutrients out of the food you are eating. I would try to cut back on the salt. I did not do that forever and when I finally did I just felt better overall. Its a beast to cut out too. (at least for me) If your multi does not have calcium (some don't) chocolate viactiv are pretty good:
Buy Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews Plus Vitamin D & K , 500mg, Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate Online at drugstore.com

Only take one at a time because you can only absorb 500mgs at once.

When you have to pee a lot your body is forced to rebalance your electrolytes which are made of sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, chlorine, phosphate.

Most women could use a little extra calcium in their diet. So I suggest to start with that, make sure you have some foods rich in potassium and magnesium. "they" say calcium is good for weight loss too so..perhaps taking care of your bones will help tuck those creeping pounds back a bit too! Good nutrition always makes you look better no matter what. Take notice to your skin's improvement too if you start taking calcium. Its pretty neat.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Wow! Thanks for such a thoughful response. I'm actually taking prenatals right now (trying)- and I'm pretty sure they have plenty of Calcium. I will try to cut back on salt. I'm so bad with salt. I put salt on everything!

My doc actually checked my thyroid cuz I literally crave the salt. I've woken up in the middle of the night thinking about eating salt. I put it on macaroni, eggs, pizza, fried anything (I do avoid fried foods usually), watermelon, apples, veggies, sometimes I can't get enough salt to stick to french fries, so I dump it on my plate and dip the fries (I know! Horrible!!). And I often eat a frozen entree at lunch, and I know those have a horrible reputation for sodium. He thought maybe I was craving the iodine or something, but everything was normal.

Part of the salt craving might be that I live in San Antonio, where it's crazy hot, and often run outside, sweating a lot. I'm not one for Gatorade or power aide or the like, so maybe my body is trying to replace what's lost.

I have had a full hormonal panel and been checked for Addison's (Which causes salt cravings)... so who knows.

I have cut back on the salt a lot, but can still do much better!

From Grey hair to Salt....lol.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,998,676 times
Interesting info here! Thanks to all of you.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,124 times
I am among the grey eyelash ladies! It is driving me crazy! When it first started happening .. I plucked them out .. however as I've gotten older they became so numerous .. 8-12 per eye .. that plucking was no longer an option without looking pretty hairless! About 3-4 weeks ago I started using the prescription Latisse .. already I can see an increase in tiny eyelashes .. BUT the grey lashes now are merely a little blondish rather than pure white.

SO .. my question is: has anyone found a dark BROWN (not black . . my complexion is too fair) mascara that will cover the grey eyelashes? I had always read how good Maybelline Great Lashes was .. how celebrity make up people swear by it etc. But I just don't find it covering the grey without "gooping" it on. HELP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty