U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried any of the new self tanning lotions? I know Sally Hanson has a spray on one, and many body lotions like Jergens and others will give you a tan now, but do they stain your hands and clothes, do they work? Which ones should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,584,557 times
Be careful of those spray ones. The overspray gets everywhere and it stains! Ask me how I know.

I think the spray ones at salons are the best bet.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
I use the Sally Hanson one, I really like it.
The trick is to spray it into your hand, rub hands together, and then apply like a lotion, no overspray. It stays on really well, doesnt rub off on clothes, and doesnt stain your hands if you wash them really well right after application.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,496,571 times
I prefer the lotion. The thing I don't like about the spray is that not all of it goes on you, it sprays elsewhere. Seems wasteful to me. They also seem to go a bit too orange on me.

I've been using the lotions for a few years and have had no problems, they all do a good job. The trick is patience, don't slap it on. I prefer to apply it sparingly with a few applications versus one thick whack. I take extra care around my ankles & knees where it tends to blotch if not blended in very well. Exfoliate beforehand. And wash your hands well after.

As far as staining clothes - yes it will if you put your clothes on too soon after. You just have to walk around naked for a while, that's all. Sometimes, I'll dry it off gently with the blow dryer if I'm concerned about it not being perfectly dry.

Last edited by Vichel; 06-17-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM

548 posts, read 1,295,304 times
My problem with self tanners is that they make my skin smell weird afterward. I finally found one that didn't smell, but I can't remember which one that was.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,396,433 times
I use some kind of Malibu Tan self-tanning lotion. I don't like the way that it smells, but at least it gives my legs some colour, and it really does moisturize my skin.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I prefer the lotion. The thing I don't like about the spray is that not all of it goes on you, it sprays elsewhere. Seems wasteful to me. They also seem to go a bit too orange on me.

I've been using the lotions for a few years and have had no problems, they all do a good job. The trick is patience, don't slap it on. I prefer to apply it sparingly with a few applications versus one thick whack. I take extra care around my ankles & knees where it tends to blotch if not blended in very well. Exfoliate beforehand. And wash your hands well after.

As far as staining clothes - yes it will if you put your clothes on too soon after. You just have to walk around naked for a while, that's all. Sometimes, I'll dry it off gently with the blow dryer if I'm concerned about it not being perfectly dry.
What brand do you use?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
For me, the best tanner I've ever used is Idol Tan by Idol Beauty - smells like some citrus fruit and makes a really nice darker color. I have two unpacked Idol Tan lotions. I always make sure I have them at home just for like the first aid if needed but this season I'm not gonna need them anymore as I got tanned naturally on vacation with my boyfriend and summer is practically almost here anyway.
I can give you that for free.. like we can meet at a coffee shop or I can ship that to you and you'll just pay a few bucks for shipping.

Contact me at [email]Jennifer_Colins@songwriter.net[/email]

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,496,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What brand do you use?
I have a couple in my bathroom - L'Oreal Nutrisummer. And Garnier Ambre Solaire. I'm not sure if those are available up your way, although I have also used brands that I had bought in the US when I was there, i.e., Jergens.

I have not noticed much of a difference between them all. It all seems to be about how it's applied - taking the time and patience, exfoliating beforehand, etc.

They've all worked well. I live in a place where the sun is just too extreme so I prefer to use self-tanning lotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty