Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I think in the summertime just the smell of soap on someone is nice after their shower.
Yep...

I don't want to be knocked over by anyone's scent ... I do have to say I've seen/smelled men who overdo the cologne too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Except that cigarette smoke is a carcinogen, literally poisoning the air, whereas body fragrance is not. I'm allergic to various plant pollen. Doesn't mean I'm going to stomp my feet and throw a hissy fit if I walk into a restaurant with fresh cut flowers on the table. If you have such severe chemical sensitivities that you can't be adjacent to people wearing fragrances, it's time to consult with medical staff about various medications and adaptive techniques in order to cope as a person making your way in the world. You can't possibly think it's reasonable to expect perfect strangers who may randomly cross your path to comply with your personal situation, or to even know that you have some sort of personal issue that you expect them to comply with.
That is not the point. The point is people that drown themselves in colgne/perfume. They ONLY reason to drown yourself in perfume is because you smell from not taking a bath.

Does anyone else have to hold their breath walking through a department store perfume counter?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Yes I usually avoid that area at all costs by using a different door.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I agree most women wear too much.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
If you can smell it on yourself, you have applied too much. A little goes a long way. I can always tell when I am around a perfumed woman or man because I begin to sneeze like Sneezy, one of the 7 dwarfs.

If a woman, or a man, is in a booth behind me in a restaurant, I have to move, since I won't stop sneezing which is very unheathful for everyone around me. It's like the old Brylcream commercial; "A little dab will do ya."

Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I think it's good practice to NOT wear scents when you know you are going to be in a confined space like an office or conference room, and when you are going to be up close and personal with someone like a Dr or Dentist. I'm in my house or outside most of the time and nobody is going to be bothered by what I wear. A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
If a scent lingers more than a few seconds after someone has passed by, that person is wearing too much! This is also the reason I don't like allowing other people to use my phone at work; often their perfume or cologne lingers on the receiver. Yuck.

My son uses too much cologne when he goes out, and I've tried to tell him to use less but he says, "It's not that bad!" Yes, it really is; I think he has built up a tolerance to it, so he doesn't smell what the rest of us smell.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I've come up with another theory. If someone mentioned this, sorry.

The two women at work who smell up with perfume both smoke. I have heard that smoking dulls your sense of smell/taste. It could be that they pour it on until they can smell it???

Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

The two women at work who smell up with perfume both smoke. I have heard that smoking dulls your sense of smell/taste. It could be that they pour it on until they can smell it???
Maybe. Also if you have been wearing a scent for awhile you can almost become immune to it and not realize how overboard you are going.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

It's probably more likely that they put on overly much in an effort to cover up residual smoke from smoke breaks that gets in their clothes and hair. They probably prefer complaints about perfume to complaints about tobacco smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty