Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Because it's not just the bride's day. There are two people involved in a wedding -- the groom, remember?

It's the bride's day and the groom's day, a day to share their happiness with other people.

The "share" part seems to be what you're missing here.

Oh, I love it! That sounds like a fun wedding. People do tend to take themselves too seriously these days ... *shaking head*
I really don't think that the groom would give a **** about the bridesmaid dresses. If he does he's prbably playing for the other team.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
If you want me there as a friend, you'll not ask me to wear something that looks hideous on me. If you just want window dressing ask someone else.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I really don't think that the groom would give a **** about the bridesmaid dresses. If he does he's prbably playing for the other team.
If one of his sisters is a bridesmaid, and she hates the dress, you bet he is gonna care.......I've seen it happen!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I know that I've declined being a bridesmaid before, due to it not fitting my budget - it's not just dress purchase, it's shoe purchase, jewelry purchase, the cost of having hair/makeup done, the cost of showers, bachelorette parties, and in some cases, the significant cost of transportation TO be involved in these things. Being a bridesmaid is NOT inexpensive. Somebody who does agree to be your bridesmaid should at least be afforded some respect as somebody who agrees to a not-insignificant financial outlay.
Oh boy do I agree with this! I've also declined several times because I just couldn't outlay the cash involved in being a Bridesmaid.

To the OP, don't do what a friend of mine did. She chose several people to be her Bridesmaids and told them what dress/shoes/etc. they would wear. For whatever reason, they didn't like the color she chose and felt dictated to, so the whole group of Bridesmaids "protested" by not showing up to her Wedding!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I agree, but people get ticked off easily. The "leader" (most outspoken) of the group of Bridesmaids told me they were going to do this a few days before the Wedding. I was shocked to say the least, but I wasn't that close to get involved.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-09-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,986 times
The bridesmaids coloring and body type should be considered. If you are not giving them a choice of different styles they can choose, at least pick a style that will look nice on everyone. A heavier person might be more self-concious about a strapless gown, so I would offer a bolero or some type of covering. The bridesmaids agree to be in the wedding because they care about you and your groom. If you do not consider their feelings, then don't be suprised when some of them tell you they have reconsidered and don't want to be in your wedding. I have been a bridesmaid more than ten times, and so far they have been good experiences. Yes, it is the bride's day, but be considerate of all the people that are willing to help make your day special.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I let my bridsmade choose her own dress. I just told her what colors we were working with. Of COURSE they should have a say, unless the bride is paying for the dresses. And even then, I'd have to question the level of "friendship" if their preferences wern't taken into consideration. The whole "it's the brides day" stuff is rediculous. It's a day for everyone who is there, especially the families.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
In my opinion and experience, weddings are generally MORE for the families than anybody else.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As was your original post.

Ohiogirl81 you obviously have something against me. You purposely seek out my posts and then you answer in a way to insult me. You call me petty and immature...that's fine, other posters can read this and see how ridiculous it makes you look.
What is your problem????I don't get it. Please stop stalking my posts.
You accuse me of name calling and then you do the exact same thing. Where is the logic in that???? Why don't you focus your time(you obviously have tons of free time) on more constructive things instead of spending it all insulting me???? Why don't your focus your time on trying to figure out what the underlying issue is in your life that causes you to constantly lash out at my posts????
Have a wonderful day in Ohio.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
LMAO. So ... let's see ...

1) You asked for opinions, but when the feedback didn't support your original post that a bridesmaid should "shut the heck up," you resorted to name calling, insults, and logical fallacies.

2) You ask for opinions, and when you get them, you think you're being persecuted and stalked.

3) You repeatedly miss and misunderstand the point myself and others are kindly trying to make about a wedding day being more than a day that's "all about the bride."

4) You called your sister-in-law an "obese (w)itch" because she didn't like the dress you chose.

And I'm juvenile? Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty