Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,805,145 times

Advertisements

OP, I hope you understand some people don't have fixed ideas about other people's shopping choices, especially given that some of the shops you mentioned do not sell a specific brand and have outfits of higher/lower quality.

I am just saying the ones who took the time to answer should have a right to an opinion too, as they are still answers regarding the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:55 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Never pay retail!
Exactly!

------

And to those of you who say Macy's is overpriced, it's because you're looking at the retail prices. Retail prices are always too high.

I recently bought two nice blouses from Macy's for $20. A few months ago I bought a really nice pair of corduroy pants for $7. I don't consider that expensive at all. In fact, it's cheaper than some of the stuff I see at Walmart.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,089,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Many people have shopped at all the stores I have listed, or most of them; however, how many individuals habitually shop for clothes at both Wal-Mart and Saks 5th Avenue? I doubt many. Stores tend to target different markets, which are carefully specified if you read any demographic analysis. Generalizations CAN be made about regular shoppers at any of the stores. I don't get what is with this "anti-generalization" bias. Of course, it's important not to stereotype any one shopper, but aggregate characteristics about a store's clientele can be delineated.
I know more than a few women who buy ~$200 jeans at both Saks and Nordstrom.....yet have no problem pairing them with $7-10 dollar t-shirts from Target or Old Navy. I call them "savvy shoppers". Buy well-made classics at the higher end retailers, then add basics (t-shirts. tank tops) or fun/trendy pieces that you will only wear for a season at the discounters.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,869,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've shopped at almost all those places. What does that say about ME?
That you have a pretty good amount of money in the bank. I've never shopped at Abercrombie, Old Navy, Saks, or Nordstroms. Just way to expensive for me.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
That you have a pretty good amount of money in the bank. I've never shopped at Abercrombie, Old Navy, Saks, or Nordstroms. Just way to expensive for me.
Old Navy SO isn't expensive. My mom shops from there, gets around six nice v-neck t's for $20.

Abercrombie, I will admit, has some cute stuff every once in a while... but I just happen to run across it for 70% off, at TJ Maxx.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,073,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I know more than a few women who buy ~$200 jeans at both Saks and Nordstrom.....yet have no problem pairing them with $7-10 dollar t-shirts from Target or Old Navy. I call them "savvy shoppers". Buy well-made classics at the higher end retailers, then add basics (t-shirts. tank tops) or fun/trendy pieces that you will only wear for a season at the discounters.
Target and Old Navy are in a class apart from Wal-Mart.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

294 posts, read 1,105,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear a person shops (for their clothes) at...

Wal-Mart?- Depends. I don't do hardcore shopping there but 2$ flip flops? And I will buy like small items for my 5 yr old because she destroys all her clothes. I don't care about buying her a 3$ shirt at Walmart because I promise you in a week it will have something on it that cannot be removed by any stain remover on this earth. So...I mean if someone told me they bought all their clothes at Walmart I'd think they were probably going home to their trailer.

K-Mart?-Like Walmart, I would think that they did not have a lot of money to spend.

Target?-Cheap clothes that fit poorly. Maybe a middle class family that needs to stretch their money.-That seems to be all of us these days.

T.J. Maxx?-Yeah, not 'ghetto and from the hood" This is where I might go if I want a designer label at a cheap price. I mean, they sell Michael Kors items here. I wouldn't call that ghetto.

Sears?- Middle class person who just wears regular clothes.

Macy's-stylish, appealing, middle class.

Abercrombie and Fitch?- annoying superficial teenager

Nordstrom's?-classy and stylish

Saks 5th Ave?-stylish and has $ to spend

Louis Vuitton Outlet?-wants to be stylish on the cheap but is trying too hard

Old Navy?-soccer mom's

H&M?
- college students, stylish and affordable, another place for super cute kids clothes!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:33 AM

225 posts, read 642,641 times
First things that come to mind are based on people I know who actually shop at these stores:

Wal-Mart: Just needs clothes, could care less what people think.

K-Mart: Just needs clothes, no access to other stores.

Target: Likes the designs of other products, just needs a couple of clothing items.

T.J. Maxx: Likes to spend time shopping.

Sears: Conservative, non-flashy, needs post menopausal teacher clothes. Kind-hearted older women.

Macy's: Everyone and their brother.

Abercrombie and Fitch: College aged, likes to party.

Nordstrom's: Serious careerists and non-profit foundation types. Mostly mid to older upper middle class.

Saks 5th Ave: A fab, fab, fabulous Mary who needs to impress his "future husband" or the jet set.

Louis Vuitton Outlet: Obsessed with outlet shopping, spends their Florida vacation shopping while their teens hit the beach.

Old Navy: Men who want armfuls of cheap tshirts.

H&M: Teen to middle aged females that live in a large metro. Like $5 clothes but want to be "hip."

All the above stores have target markets, but it doesn't mean people will shop there because of it. Some shop for price, others for image. I have serious allergies - the outgassing, sizing - so I stick with small boutiques and lightning speed shopping if I have to go in larger stores (only the departments by the door to the parking lot and only at off-peak hours).

Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,073,415 times
Hah, from the past posts it seems like T.J. Maxx outlets vary from location to location. I used to be a very regular shopper at T.J. Maxx. This was back when our family was having a very hard time (as it is again having now). I also wanted to have a brand name (that wasn't a "store brand") prominently displayed on my shirt or pants, as I was in middle school (7th/8th grade - this was 2000). When I "discovered" it, I was amazed. You could buy a nice Ralph Lauren Polo jacket for $20 (that was originally $100+); the same Tommy Hilfiger shirt everybody else had for $10; an Ecko shirt for $3; Pure Playaz or Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $30; a FUBU jersey for $40; and so on. This was at a time when similar shirts costed $40 on up at other stores (which most kids in my somewhat affluent school district went to), and jeans $70 on up. But I got them at a discount, and nobody could tell.

As you can kind of tell from some of the brands I listed, many of the brands (Fubu, Pure Playaz, Avirex, Baby Phat, Ecko, DKNY, etc., etc.) they sold appealed to lower-income blacks. And even though our black population, percentage-wise, is one of the smallest in the country, I saw young people "of color" shopping in there almost every time I went in, and there weren't many people in the store most of the time.

I fully agree that it takes a lot of time to sift through the wares to find something good. However, I found that entertaining at the time, so if you asked me what one of my hobbies was at the time, I would probably say "shopping".

Old 07-24-2010, 02:25 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,168,026 times
I wonder why they just don't go shop at Goodwill. I regularly find Gap, Banana Republic, J Crew, Abercrombie, H&M for way less then the cost of clothing at Walmart.

Of course this all depends on where you live. Some thrift stores are better then others. I lived in a small town and did buy clothes from Walmart on occassion becasue that was one of the only options. I don't judge people on the labels they wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty