Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear a person shops (for their clothes) at...

Wal-Mart?

K-Mart?

Target?

T.J. Maxx?

Sears?

Macy's

Abercrombie and Fitch?

Nordstrom's?

Saks 5th Ave?

Louis Vuitton Outlet?

Old Navy?

H&M?

Last edited by tvdxer; 07-19-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Nothing special, all these stores have sales/low prices, and if people can dress appropriately and pay less, good for them!

As long as it is tasteful clothing, who cares where it was bought?! Many people want to actually show the label/brand of the store where they got their clothing, and honestly I cannot possibly think of something tackier.

I never knew where the most elegant people I have ever met bought their clothes. That was part of their elegance, they had their own style and were not advertising for free.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Nothing special, all these stores have sales/low prices, and if people can dress appropriately and pay less, good for them!

As long as it is tasteful clothing, who cares where it was bought?! Many people want to actually show the label/brand of the store where they got their clothing, and honestly I cannot possibly think of something tackier.

I never knew where the most elegant people I have ever met bought their clothes. That was part of their elegance, they had their own style and were not advertising for free.
C'mon. The places I listed appeal to different groups of people and you know it. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear a person shops for clothes at...

Wal-Mart is that they are working class or under and white, and looking to buy clothes at the cheapest price possible.

K-Mart one step above Wal-Mart.

Target Entering the middle class.

T.J. Maxx Black and from the 'hood.

Sears Middle class.

Macy's White, middle to upper-middle class yuppy.

Abercrombie and Fitch Spoiled high school girl.

Nordstrom's Wealthy

Saks 5th Ave Wealthy yuppy or single professional.

Louis Vuitton Outlet A person aspiring to the upper class, but probably not a part of it.

Old Navy? Middle class family man.

H&M European.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
TJ Maxx = black and from the hood? Mine used to be like that, but it's gotten waaaaaay better as of late. Cute tops for $5 on clearance, with no defects? Non-knockoff American Eagle jeans for $15? I can dig it.

Then again, I don't really judge people too much based on where they buy their clothing. I personally wouldn't shop at WalMart or K-Mart for clothes, but I also wouldn't go to Sears or Macy's.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
^Please.......
I bought this the other day at TJ Maxx.
Rhinestone Zip Shawl Cardigan (http://www.belldini.com/Rhinestone-Zip-Shawl-Cardigan-PID11235-95009.aspx - broken link)
Instead of $106, I paid $20 for it.
Yeah, we so hood here.
This is in response to post #3

Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
TJ Maxx = black and from the hood? Mine used to be like that, but it's gotten waaaaaay better as of late. Cute tops for $5 on clearance, with no defects? Non-knockoff American Eagle jeans for $15? I can dig it.

Then again, I don't really judge people too much based on where they buy their clothing. I personally wouldn't shop at WalMart or K-Mart for clothes, but I also wouldn't go to Sears or Macy's.
Never pay retail!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 PM

114 posts, read 127,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear a person shops (for their clothes) at...
Wal-Mart? The person CLEARLY doesn't care about their appearance. With all the Wal-Mart stores around there are people all over the country wearing the exact same article of clothing. Be unique.

K-Mart? K-Mart still exists? I would say that K-Mart is worse than Wal-Mart for clothes shopping. Yuck.

Target? Person is on a very tight budget. Target has better quality clothes than Wal-Mart for a very cheap price.

T.J. Maxx? Tacky and cheap. Have some self-respect.

Sears? Ugh, just as bad as JC Penney. Person doesn't mind wearing cheap, mass produced, tacky clothes.

Macy's A place where middle-class people shop. Macy's has good variety with no real high-end items.

Abercrombie and Fitch? Bland Middle-American Caucasian teenager who spends a fortune trying to look like everyone else.

Nordstrom's? Person clearly cares about what they put on their back, but doesn't spend their savings doing so.

Saks 5th Ave? Excellent quality, person likes to have some of the latest fashions from high end designers.

Louis Vuitton Outlet? Ugh, person is nouveau-riche or middle-class who spends to much time trying to acquire a bag that every other woman has. Message to Louis Vuitton addicts: when women in Montana and Alaska are swinging LV bags around you should know that the bag your carrying is no longer exclusive and of high value.

Old Navy? Middle school, preppy junior high school students who will eventually turn into Abercrombie wearers.

H&M? Fashion conscious girls from 15-30 who do not want to spend a fortune.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM

73 posts, read 218,088 times
Wal-Mart? Can't afford to shop elsewhere. Otherwise...WHY? The stuff is really flimsily made.

K-Mart? Same as Wal-Mart except I think of worse quality.

Target? Stylish person on a budget. Frugalista so to speak. Target has some really cute pieces and has designers do lines for them. Zac Posen did one recently.

T.J. Maxx? Bargain-hunter. This is one of those types of stores that I think you really do have to have the patience to sort through a lot of crap to find a good steal on something really of good quality. Kudos to those who can do it. I usually give up in about 5 minutes in that place.

Sears? Meh. I don't know why but I just do not associate Sears with clothes. When I think of Sears I think of tools and appliances.

Macy's A middle to upper middle class shopping destination depending on the particular Macy's. I've found that Macy's can vary a lot from store to store. Some have more high end brands, and more selection than others. I think Macy's is a fine place to shop. Not all of us can afford Neiman's.

Abercrombie and Fitch? Middle to upper middle class teeny bopper who wants to wear what everyone else is wearing and shop in a store that blasts music and displays wall-sized photos of their shirtless male models.

Nordstrom's? A person who appreciates finer, high end things but doesn't quite have the budget for Neiman's or Saks. Some good deals on the clearance and especially shoe sales so may also be a savvy bargain hunter as well.

Saks 5th Ave? upper class individuals who can afford things like Burberry on a regular basis and appreciate designers.

Louis Vuitton Outlet? Someone trying to present themselves as above their actual socio-economic status who is way too brand conscious.

Old Navy? Trendy people on a budget. Typically those who like a bohemian laid back vibe, or maybe Gap styling without Gap prices. Or people with kids who want to dress them in cute clothes at bargain prices. Old Navy does have some really cute kids stuff.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 AM

609 posts, read 1,259,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Wal-Mart is that they are working class or under and white, and looking to buy clothes at the cheapest price possible.

K-Mart one step above Wal-Mart.

that is just incorrect. i work at walmart. dont take this as me defending walmart because im not going to tell you i like my job, BUT sometimes, when i have a really bad day at work...i drive across town and walk through kmart and i instantly feel better about where i work. kmart looks like a flea market. i dont buy clothes at walmart or kmart (i dont buy anything at kmart)...i buy my underwear at walmart. i buy most of my clothes at torrid and fashionbug...and by your judgement, id assume youd probably call me something rude because i shop at plus size clothing stores. theyre just clothes.

and frankly, i find this post kinda offensive. who cares where people buy their clothes? as long as they arent cruising around naked, i dont care.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've shopped at almost all those places. What does that say about ME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty