Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times

Advertisements

So...walking around campus and the city I live in this week (and for the last 4 years) I have noticed that almost every single guy is dressed exactly the same. T shirt/ sports hoodie in the winter, and t-shirt and basketball/khaki shorts in the fall/spring. Even when it's a bit cold out, t-shirt and basketball shorts/ shoes are the style of choice. Every once in a while I will see a dude with a unique sense of style. But very rarely. On the other hand, when in Europe I noticed almost every guy has style. Is it just taboo in this country for men to dress nice or unique in a casual situation? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,114 times
I think American men dress for comfort. It doesn't mean you can't have comfort and style. I also don't think college is actually the place for high fashion and most college towns have younger people that perhaps cannot afford "style" yet as it seems to be more pricey.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM

291 posts, read 1,074,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So...walking around campus and the city I live in this week (and for the last 4 years) I have noticed that almost every single guy is dressed exactly the same. T shirt/ sports hoodie in the winter, and t-shirt and basketball/khaki shorts in the fall/spring. Even when it's a bit cold out, t-shirt and basketball shorts/ shoes are the style of choice. Every once in a while I will see a dude with a unique sense of style. But very rarely. On the other hand, when in Europe I noticed almost every guy has style. Is it just taboo in this country for men to dress nice or unique in a casual situation? Thoughts?
We don't have many "men" in this country, sadly. They are like lost little boys, wandering around in their jammies, looking for their Xbox. It's such a turn-off. I agree that on the whole, European men hit a certain age, and they're "grown-ups," meaning they can discuss food and wine, politics, art, etc. They take an interest in aesthetics, have well-appointed apartments that show a modicum of personal taste, and dress like- well, grown-men. My only answer for this, is that American women permit this sad state of affairs. Men generally will rise up to whatever baseline women set for them, and American women have done an atrocious job at that. Then again, look at the women!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Sadly, the slob look is "in" with many men and women. Comfort can equal style with just a little effort. I am not turned on by the "let it all hang out" look. Seeing a guy or girl in a tank top at a buffet with the hairy armpits sticking out is crass. I miss the 40's and 50's styles. I don't recall ever seeing a man or woman in Peek a boo shorts back then. What really bugs me are the people who don't comb their hair.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM

291 posts, read 1,074,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Sadly, the slob look is "in" with many men and women. Comfort can equal style with just a little effort. I am not turned on by the "let it all hang out" look. Seeing a guy or girl in a tank top at a buffet with the hairy armpits sticking out is crass. I miss the 40's and 50's styles. I don't recall ever seeing a man or woman in Peek a boo shorts back then. What really bugs me are the people who don't comb their hair.
Ditto! I actually love anything from the 20's through the early 60's. Men looked like men and women looked like women, and everyone looked like they thought at least a *little bit* about the impression they were making. I love clothes from earlier periods as well, though those clothes were certainly not practical. If people wouldn't think I was off my rocker or trying to "make a statement" I would absolutely wear more vintage clothes.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
In European universities, students (and their parents) aren't paying massive tuition and living expenses, either.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 AM

487 posts, read 636,172 times
I've been to the Netherlands and its true most men are bordering on metrosexualism. They all wear brand name clothing and use product on their designer haircuts, they're extremely fashion conscious. Is that really what you women want?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Unfortunately, it is taboo in this country for men to dress in any other style that dictates that they should. Personally, I think people, both men and women should be able to wear any style they feel like and not be judged or looked down for it.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
here in America men are so afraid of being labeled something other than straight and therefore are afraid of fashion or anything.....

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I wear t-shirts, khaki shorts, basketball shorts, and hoodies. Doesn't mean I don't have a sense of style, I just like to dress casually and comfortably.

Would I wear more button-up shirts if I had the money to buy decent ones? Yes.
Do I have the money? No.

Now, I don't usually wear holey jeans or anything like that, but I don't see any reason to change out my whole wardrobe so that someone can feel good about people having a sense of style..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty