U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM

366 posts, read 254,136 times

Advertisements

Women (or men) who desperately try to appear much younger than they are look sad. Taking care of your skin can make you look better at any age and their's nothing wrong with the creams et al. It's only when people take things too far that it begins to look unhealthy and at some point it can all make people look more than their age instead of the reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
At 43, I see some fine lines appearing. Candlelight is kind to older women. I don't know that I'll be able to wholeheartedly embrace my wrinkles, especially because I live in image-conscious L.A where anyone over 28 is "too old". However, I don't live my life to look younger. I wear makeup when I go "out out" (not just to work or to go grocery shopping), and that's it. I have starting using lotion more, because my skin is drier now than it used to be.

I go out dancing every Thursday night, and I've never been made to feel that I'm too old (well, not to my face, anyway!). I don't dress too young, though, because I think that accentuates the difference between the youthful clothing and the aging face!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 PM

942 posts, read 2,328,998 times
Im 37 and I do take care of my skin. I wash my face morning and evening and I wear night cream and moisturizes with a firmer and SPF. I try to avoid the sun in my face to avoid aging. When it comes it does, I wont freak out, I have for a few years now had a line (wrinkle ) that goes across my forehead. Many say they dont notice it but I do. I spend maybe about $60 every 3-4 months on my creams...Nuetragena and Loreal. One thning I believe helps me is I DONT wear make up. The only time I wear make up is for a major event...like a wedding and that is very minimal. I do wear lip gloss for daily things.

I dont get facial or even do masks not because Im against it just because my money can be spent better on other things that are necessary.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 PM

110 posts, read 707,993 times
I agree with PixieDust that probably makeup does more harm than good. Even the cosmetics companies don't have the youknowwhats to claim that makeup is "good for your skin"! Just because something doesn't carry a health warning in big red letters doesn't mean it's good for you or even harmless...

I agree with Rainy too. A woman who obviously is "trying too hard" to look younger than she is, is going to inspire more pity than admiration.

Ditto for age-inappropriate clothing. Those 50 yr olds who wear clothes intended for teens or twentysomethings just look like they're engaged in a pathetic attempt to recapture their lost youth.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,431,409 times
Vis, you are every woman's dream~a man who appreciates the looks of a "mature" woman.

Seriously though, I'm 51 and I have a few wrinkles and I have no intention of trying to get rid of them or cover them up. My fave wrinkles are on the corner of my eyes and I'm proud of them. They're my smile/laugh lines. I have no problem with aging or showing it because I think people are beautiful in all different age groups. The only thing that I do now that I may not do forever is color my hair. I've got so much silver in my hair that I'd look like I was 70 if I didn't color it.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:52 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why fight age?
I personally don't feel attracted to living Barbie Dolls.
As for the actresses mentioned, yes they aged gracefully and still retained an attractiveness. One woman, who I think had a problem with aging was Mary Tyler Moore. She was a very pretty young woman. She might have been a pretty older woman. But her obvious cosmetic make over is embarrassing to look at. She looks like a freak.
One post said too bad more men don't think like me...how do you know they don't?
UMMMMM let's see. How many older men date and marry women their own age? Or even pursue women their own age? I haven't seen Candice Bergen tearing up the box office lately either. It's a nice thought but it's a million miles away from real life. The trophy wife, the big score, is always a younger woman. Youth is where it's at! How about ole James Woods(60 something) celebrating his wife's 21st birthday. Wonder what they talk about? Older men are perceived to be powerful and distinguished. Older women are just, well, done for. They become invisible.

One of my best friends started her plastic surgery fund at 18. And she is spending every penny of it. I think she started spending in her early 40's.

I spend about $50 per year on facial moisturizers/lotions. I also do a light chemical peel or IPL(intense pulse laser) treatment a couple times a year. I haven't spent a lot of money yet but I am headed for the face/neck/brow lift sometime soon.

And BTW, Mary Tyler Moore is a very severe type 1 diabetic. That's most likely why she aged not so well and hasn't seen the best of results with her plastics.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 06-23-2007 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: added MTM stuff

Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM

366 posts, read 254,136 times
But do you really want the kind of man who is going to go after the barbie/trophy wife type?

What you're saying may be true of celebrities and those who want to be them, but in real life, I think there are plenty of men who'd rather be with a woman closer to his own age.

How many older women who go for the surgery are getting the guys? If an old celebrity wants a 21 year old that's exactly what he's going to get simply by virtue of living in our celebrity obsessed culture. He isn't going to be interested in a 55 year old who looks like she's stuck in a wind tunnel.

Be yourself and get a real guy...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 AM

328 posts, read 933,403 times
Default Women with wrinkles are Beautiful...........

Call me crazy but I adore "Mature Ladies." A .few wrinles add character....A few wrinkles tell me that this woman is self assured...She knows who she is. She has paid some dues......yet she is soft and sexy. When she gets dressed up she turns heads...Confidence is sexy !!!!!
Spiritwalker

Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
To each his or her own.
I appreciate your appreciation, Visvaldis.
I am 52 and will never get any kind of plastic surgery.
I'm not big on general anesthesia in the first place, and that kind of elective stuff is not for me. (Olivia Goldsmith, anyone?)
Youthiness may be in but we Boomers can't escape Father Time, no matter how much we try. My funds will be spent on trying to keep my insides in good shape.
But I know so many women who have had eyelift lids, lip stuff, all that stuff, and not everyone looks as scary as Melanie Griffith, though some do.
Yesterday at Publix I saw a couple who were probably in their early 70's.
She had obviously had work done on her face--but not on the back of her neck, or her arms and legs. The demarcation line was quite unmistakable.
But she was happy, her spouse seemed quite happy, so whatever.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,001,155 times
Being an old baby boomer and older than most who replied and someone who hasn't had plastic surgery I feel I have earned every little wrinkle. I am lucky I don't have many but then what happened to my ears? Who knew they would grow, not to mention the hair in the nose seems to be needing sunlight. The worst is the occassionally long hair on the chin you can't see in your mirror but is there when you go to restroom in a restaurant.
I think most men I have met now that I am single haven't looked in a mirror lately. They aren't Brad Pitt but they seem to be looking for Anglie Joli.
I am not overweight and not bad looking but I know I felt sexier when I was 40 than I do now that I am over 60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty