Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,677,577 times

Advertisements

As long as the color underneath does not stand out, it is no problem. Sometimes it gives extra warmth when wearing jacket may be too much. This is regards to buttoned down shirts.

But polo shirts should be worn with nothing underneath, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Do you realize how bad it looks? It makes you look like you're still getting dressed by your mom also ! I admit I used to do it, but stopped a few years ago, it makes you look sloppy.
Don't agree

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
For me it depends on the type of button-down...notably the fabric and how see-thru it is. Some of my button downs...yes I will wear an undershirt; I'd feel weird otherwise. I try to pick an undershirt color that works well with the button down. Other button downs...I don't bother with the undershirt...I feel hotter and more uncomfortable with one on. I've gotten compliments in both cases. I think it helps that I have a lean build, am darker-skinned, don't sweat like the Niagara Falls, have an indoors job with A/C, have almost zero chest or back hair and keep my armpits trimmed.

I never wear undershirts under my polos.

I do think that the "average" guy (physically speaking) should always wear an undershirt under their button down. Nobody wants to see sweat stains on a nice shirt. Visible sweat stains is considered to be very unprofessional in a corporate office environment and could land you in trouble depending on policy.

OMG, you have sweat stains under your arms, we will have to fire you for wetness.

are you kidding me, what a retarded answer.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 PM

149 posts, read 203,298 times
OP

live, and let live.

mind yours.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I don't like the way it looks on me personally. I never wore an undershirt underneath a pique polo. Now I will wear a shirt underneath a button down, if its cold outside, to layer. But I don't like "undershirts" per say, but I'll wear a t-shirt, even if the logo or saying would bleed through; when its cold outside I tend not to be as vain as I would during the summer. Wool t-shirts are pretty nice though, especially for cold climates in the Midwest and the Northeast; if you can afford them I highly recommend it, might set you back about $30 or more though.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,734 times
Mr. Bolo--

Interesting circumstance. Of course it isn't necessary. But even with the light-weight Hawaiian shirt versus the polyester one, or a short-sleeve linen or seersucker shirt, an undershirt could be important--I am a large, hairy, sweat-prone guy. I sweat primarily on my chest and lower back, so while I like the buffer of a tee-shirt it often proves too bulky for its purpose--rucking up under the arms, torquing left or right, bunching up at the beltline.

I prefer a white sleeveless ribbed undershirt (the maligned "wife beater," also called an "athletic undershirt") under both my work-shirts and as hangout-clothes. Especially in the punishing heat and zero humidity of Colorado summers: the knit fabric, close against the skin, regulates one's native body-temperature. And it looks good on most men, regardless of classically handsome muscle-tone: we always look good when our confidence reigns, plus a little help from how we feel we present ourselves.

And, according to a handful of ladies who've remarked on it (my testing-pool might be unfair), the visibility of a man's a-shirt beneath a button-down shirt is sexy.

There is, too, a precedent for my feelings: my father and his brothers wear a-shirts as a daily matter of course, and so not unpredictably do me and my own brother. He prefers black or gray undershirts; I stick to white.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,734 times
I grew up in Louisiana, went to school in Iowa, and undershirts in both places (rolling heat, impressive but momentary storms, sear and swelter) are almost standard. How else does a man keep his nicer shirts from developing unfortunate sweat-salt rings? I agree with nightcrawler, RoundRoundGetAround doesn't know nothin' from nothin'.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
OMG, you have sweat stains under your arms, we will have to fire you for wetness.

are you kidding me, what a retarded answer.
Sweat also ruins shirts as well. I tend to like taking care of my clothing, not throwing it away after wearing it a few times.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Do you realize how bad it looks? It makes you look like you're still getting dressed by your mom also ! I admit I used to do it, but stopped a few years ago, it makes you look sloppy.
Some of us like to wear our polos three or four times before washing them. That is why undershirts were invented.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I never do it, and my polo shirts still last several years, after being worn and washed more than just a few times. Stains are going to depend as much on what deodorant or antiperspirant you're wearing as much as it does how much you sweat. Personally, it is just an extra layer, and makes me sweat more. Only way I would consider doing it is if the undershirt was linen. I might do it for a long sleeve polo, or a rugby. I know a lot of people take extra care with designer clothing, but unless it is linen or silk I don't baby my clothes; they last several years regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty