U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 AM

5,047 posts, read 9,787,365 times
I was just reading a book, and one line that stuck in my head was: "For no woman yet has appeared twenty in her forties..."

To dress much younger/trendier than you are is to appear less self-confident. If you're in your mid-40s and you go grocery shopping wearing a mini-skirt and high heels, you don't look hot. You look rather sad. And I don't care how good your body is or how much plastic surgery you've had.

I'm 46 years old; I can't shop at Forever 21. The results wouldn't be pretty. I look okay, but I don't look like I'm in my 20s, or even in my 30s. Therefore, I stay away from overly tight clothing, overly revealing clothing, etc. People may tell you that you look nice to your face, but then they do the eye roll behind your back.

Of course, the real challenge is to find good clothes - clothing that fits somewhere between Forever 21 and clothing that my grandmother would wear! That's not always easy, but stores like Coldwater Creek are doing better these days at catering to the 40s and 50s ladies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 5,011,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
We seen a woman who was clearly in the 70's range, she wore a paper thin white t-shirt thing off the shoulder with a lime green bra. Some things are just better not seen.
Believe it or not, I've seen some women around here in their 60's wearing something very similar to that with PIGTAILS and gray hair. Yes, they have slim bodies, but they are NOT little girls any longer.

I'm thinking maybe old hippies, perhaps.

I am not against any age of women to be staying "with it" but for gosh sakes keep it age appropriate. Look cool, not like a fool.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Of course, the real challenge is to find good clothes - clothing that fits somewhere between Forever 21 and clothing that my grandmother would wear! That's not always easy, but stores like Coldwater Creek are doing better these days at catering to the 40s and 50s ladies.
Or Chico's.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM

14,702 posts, read 16,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
What do you all think about the idea of dressing your age? Do you think that there are certain things that people of certain ages should never wear? Just for an example, is there an age at which miniskirts, regardless of body type, should not be worn? If so, what are some examples and what are the "cutoff ages" for these things. Or do you feel that is doesn't matter what age you are as long as you have the body to pull it off? Discuss....
I think that we have all seen older women (in their 50s and older) who dress in teenagers clothing and look horrible.

That having been said, I see many older ladies in polyester stretch pants and long tunic tops who would look infinitely more attractive if they did not dress like dowdy old ladies.

There isn't much to choose from, you know, between teenybopper and old lady.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM

20,706 posts, read 17,765,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
MOST of my skirts are above the knee. A few of them hit about 5 inches above. I don't see anything wrong with that. This skirt is actually a "skort", and while it is a mini, and I am certainly over 40 , I think it looks quite appropriate.
Nice quads, lady.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,892,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Mini-skirts should not be worn by women who are 40+. I saw a senior citizen wearing one the other day and it was not a pretty sight. She was making a fool of herself.
But you know some older women have great looking legs and if the tummy is not hanging and the hips are not so wide- well, then?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM

7,616 posts, read 7,467,738 times
Okay well I have a sister that is 56 and still shows her middle in some shirts she wears and it makes me cringe . she also wears mini skirts and it drives me nuts too . I think women over 50 should not be showing their middle or wearing mini skirts . Im sorry but it just does not look right but that is me and to each her or his own .

Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM

817 posts, read 1,052,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I was just reading a book, and one line that stuck in my head was: "For no woman yet has appeared twenty in her forties..."

To dress much younger/trendier than you are is to appear less self-confident. If you're in your mid-40s and you go grocery shopping wearing a mini-skirt and high heels, you don't look hot. You look rather sad. And I don't care how good your body is or how much plastic surgery you've had.

I'm 46 years old; I can't shop at Forever 21. The results wouldn't be pretty. I look okay, but I don't look like I'm in my 20s, or even in my 30s. Therefore, I stay away from overly tight clothing, overly revealing clothing, etc. People may tell you that you look nice to your face, but then they do the eye roll behind your back.

Funny....my wife is in her early 40s and thinks of Coldwater Creek as "old-lady clothes." She'll occasionally wear Forever 21 if it looks good on her.

If you have kept yourself up and have confidence, there's nothing wrong with dressing however you like....well, I know there are some limits (70 year olds wearing A&F, or whatever), but within reason, there's no reason why a 40-something can't wear miniskirts or whatever.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:13 PM

7,373 posts, read 6,846,391 times
Sorry but Coldwater Creek and Chico's both have hideous clothing. I am familiar with them because I do business with them, but I wouldn't wear their clothes unless I decide I have given up on life. Maybe those clothes will look good to me once menopause has struck and my vagina dries up into a dusty cave.... then I'll sport one of their knee-length powder blue cardigans, change my hair to a short grey crew cut, and of course pick up a pair of yellow Crocs.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-07-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Sorry but Coldwater Creek and Chico's both have hideous clothing. I am familiar with them because I do business with them, but I wouldn't wear their clothes unless I decide I have given up on life. Maybe those clothes will look good to me once menopause has struck and my vagina dries up into a dusty cave.... then I'll sport one of their knee-length powder blue cardigans, change my hair to a short grey crew cut, and of course pick up a pair of yellow Crocs.
I see. So at what stores do you suggest women older than you do their shopping at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty