Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,064 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions for what is most appropriate for a guy to wear to a 20-year high school reunion? If it matters, the school is in a middle-to-upper-middle class suburban area and the reunion will be in a nice but generic hotel banquet hall setting.

I'm kinda thinking dark suit (trim cut, not businessy) with interesting shirt and no tie. But would I be better off with a tie? With a sportcoat and slacks? Or just with nice pants and a nice shirt?

Last edited by SloopyJ; 08-13-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for what is most appropriate for a guy to wear to a 20-year high school reunion? If it matters, the school is in a middle-to-upper-middle class suburban area and the reunion will be in a nice but generic hotel banquet hall setting.

I'm kinda thinking dark suit (trim cut, not businessy) with interesting shirt and no tie. But is that overdressed?
Sloopy,

That is a decent outfit for the occasion. Try to gauge what the other men are wearing. If then you see them with just a dress shirt, you can at least take the jacket off. For good measure, it may not hurt to take a tie along just in case. Either way, you will be prepared.

Speaking for myself, It never hurts to overdress. I would rather go in that way than being inappropriately attired for an event.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Wear a black tuxedo and accessorize with a 20 year old blond hottie (who should be wearing a little black dress and really high heels). Explain that you had another event earlier - don't elaborate.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Go for flattering over interesting. I think a safe bet is to go with nice slacks, dress shirt, tie and sweater. If people are more casual you can take off your tie and slip it in your pocket. But the sweater won't look glaringly dressy or casual either way if its a classic flattering cut. You can always wear the sports jacket over the sweater too. I just think sweaters look friendlier than jackets.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM

I guess that a serious response is needed here. Its a hotel banquet hall. No matter if its a generic hotel or the Ritz. ABSOLUTELY NO SWEATERS, VESTS, CASUAL CLOTHES, period.

Wear a dark blue or near black 2 button single breasted suit, plain (no initials, Freench cuffs, etc.) white 100% cotton shirt (no one should ever own anything else), and a great tie. Get the men's store guy to help you with this. There is more to it than you think. If you have to post this question, you are incapable of picking out a good tie. That's not an insult, its a fact. I can't choose a picture frame for a painting. Too much at work. Same with the tie.

Dark socks and black shoes. No stupid buckles or decor.

When you get there, if you are the only person in a dark suit (which you will not be), take off your jacket, put it on your chair back, open your collar button and leave your tie on. When everyone gets drunk and starts to line dance, you can take off your tie and roll up your sleeves.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-14-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM

^^ that may look nice but it also is sending the message you feel the need to "impress" everyone. Not exactly "friendly". White shirts can make your teeth look yellow and wash out the face.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
^^ that may look nice but it also is sending the message you feel the need to "impress" everyone. Not exactly "friendly". White shirts can make your teeth look yellow and wash out the face.
I think the OP is being modest. That's nice. All my family is from Chicago. Its one of the most dressy places in the nation and he's from Evanston which is one of the wealthiest suburbs in the entire US with a household income of 150% of the national average and about 160% higher than Pittsburgh (or Cincinnati where I live). And, the teeth thing is just silly. Solid white is always right. And, are you a woman? No offense, but I doubt you ask your brother what to wear to a wedding, right?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Oddly enough, guys dressed a little more formally for my 10th reunion. For the 20th most of them wore nice shirts and pants and called it good. For the 30th a couple of them went wearing cover-alls! For the 35th, many looked like slobs. So it's obvious to me that with each passing decade men (and some women) developed a bigger "who am I to impress" attitude.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think the OP is being modest. That's nice. All my family is from Chicago. Its one of the most dressy places in the nation and he's from Evanston which is one of the wealthiest suburbs in the entire US with a household income of 150% of the national average and about 160% higher than Pittsburgh (or Cincinnati where I live). And, the teeth thing is just silly. Solid white is always right. And, are you a woman? No offense, but I doubt you ask your brother what to wear to a wedding, right?
Avoiding making yourself look older and bad by picking something other than a white shirt is what you should do. White is outdated. Wearing it on black...hmm..pulp fiction or bible salesmen...Maybe good for halloween...

I don't see how gender affects anything here anymore than the income quotes.

Overdressing makes you look like a hayseed.

Armani Collezioni Colorblock Crewneck Sweater - Crewneck - Nordstrom (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3101818/0~2376777~2374609~6020530~6020535?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6020535&P=1 - broken link)

That looks perfectly fine for a hotel. Its exactly what I am talking about.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM

OH, going for the gay look huh? Did you say you were a woman? And, I never said black, I said "near black." One would only need a black suit if one were going to a convention of undertakers. Look you just don't know what you are talking about. Nice shoes though.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-15-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: say something nice about shoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty