U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,292,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
You're getting waay ripped off. I get my hair cut for free.
My grandma does it lol. But really, that is way too much. I guess they must be really good at least?

My daughter cuts my hair for me too..
She trims the ends for me once every 6 week...my hair is long also..
right on to your grandma...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,759,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Do you think my hairdresser charges too much? I went for a haircut, blowdry and root touch-up and she charged me 107.35.
When I got root touch-up, hilites and a blow dry she chrged me 178.00.
I have to go every 2 months because of the grey but at this rate I won't be able to afford it. I get my hair cut every 4 months.
Is there anything else I could use to cover up grey at the roots?
What do you recommend?
No that is a decent price for that much service.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,211,676 times
I pay $150 before tip for highlights and lowlights so that doesn't sound too crazy to me. And that is no cut or blowdry. She would blowdry it, but I don't like my hair to be blow-dried so I just go home with it wet and let it dry naturally.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I pay $150 before tip for highlights and lowlights so that doesn't sound too crazy to me. And that is no cut or blowdry. She would blowdry it, but I don't like my hair to be blow-dried so I just go home with it wet and let it dry naturally.
I forgot to mention in my other post that highlights take a long time and talent. If you have ever had a bad one you might agree it is worth the price.

I am a hairdresser and was doing the hair for a musical (not the color and cuts but the styling for the performance) and one of the cast had just gotten her hair highlighted that day. Her hair was so overprocessed that just about every other highlight broke off at the root. It was awful.

On the flip side, I have seen mediocre hairdressers at expensive salons charge an arm and a leg for highlights (or cuts) that are no better than a beauty school student.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,402,542 times
Yes, that is kind of on the high end of the scale for hair services. I like my hair to look "just so", so I have found that by going to a school (in my case, Aveda) and getting my hair cuts and color/highlights. Cut is $15 and highlights are around $38. The work IS done by students, but they are supervised and every service is checked by a teacher so there has never been a time I have walked out unhappy. At these prices, i can go more often and keep my hair looking really good.

Also, I use Nice & Easy root touch up and it is just perfect. I use it about every 3 weeks between cuts because I have dark hair and roots tend to show up. This product is fool proof, inexpensive and effective. I highly recommend it.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,211,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I forgot to mention in my other post that highlights take a long time and talent. If you have ever had a bad one you might agree it is worth the price.

I am a hairdresser and was doing the hair for a musical (not the color and cuts but the styling for the performance) and one of the cast had just gotten her hair highlighted that day. Her hair was so overprocessed that just about every other highlight broke off at the root. It was awful.

On the flip side, I have seen mediocre hairdressers at expensive salons charge an arm and a leg for highlights (or cuts) that are no better than a beauty school student.
My hair is extra long and extra thick so I pay "extra" for that too. It takes hours to do my hair. I went to one girl who was like $70 and it was terrible, I told her," you need to put me under heat after you do the highlights, I know my hair!".

She didn't listen, said my hair was light naturally and would lift w/out heat. It didn't. You couldn't even tell I went to the salon!

As long as it looks good I have no problems paying a premium price.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
My hair is extra long and extra thick so I pay "extra" for that too. It takes hours to do my hair. I went to one girl who was like $70 and it was terrible, I told her," you need to put me under heat after you do the highlights, I know my hair!".

She didn't listen, said my hair was light naturally and would lift w/out heat. It didn't. You couldn't even tell I went to the salon!

As long as it looks good I have no problems paying a premium price.
Me too! If I wanted it to look so so I would have my husband do it (no real skillz, just some tutoring by me). He actually has done a better job than some folks I have paid.

The guy I go to now should be charging more but he is pretty reasonable ($140 for cut and highlights) in my opinion. My hair is halfway down my back so it does take awhile. The upside is I only have to do it about 3-4 times a year.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM

6,501 posts, read 6,464,852 times
$200 is nothing to pay in/around NYC. Then again, I'm frugal and found a place that will color, cut, and blowstyle my waist-length hair for $40 AND I get a scalp massage. They do a great job but I'm also not looking for anything special. I bring my own color so when I can't get there, I can do the roots at home.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM

8,424 posts, read 22,834,024 times
Dean of Shadyside Salon (http://www.deanofshadyside.com/services/ - broken link)

There is a price list of a salon in pittsburgh. I never have been there so I can't speak for it but I thought you would like to look at the price list with services just to compare.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Wow. I pay $65 for my cut/color and a blowout/style.

I've been to A LOT of salons and have had my hair destroyed by a lot of different people (apparently long, thick curly hair is impossible for most people to cut right without it becoming an afro of sorts) and paid everything from $20 to $300, but this gal that I found is incredible! Plus, she has bright pink hair so I know I'm in good hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty