Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,599,100 times

Advertisements

My mom tells me on occasion I am still a good looking man, but she is my mom so she may be a little bias. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,529,770 times
My mother often told me that I was beautiful. She still does this.

My father never did. He loved to point out my flaws, like the occasional pimple, bad hair days, few extra pounds, etc. He's just very critical, by nature. The only time he ever said I was beautiful was on my wedding day.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,816,806 times
Both of my parents have been quite supportive of my appearance. My grandmother, however...

A couple of weeks ago she asked me to stop by her apartment. I wore a pair of shorts (not short-shorts mind you, these hit around mid-thigh) and a t-shirt since it was awfully humid and hot. First thing she says when she sees me? "Are you getting chubby?" I'm a size 3. She's extremely focused on appearance, moreso than I would consider healthy. Everything she says is a (not so) thinly veiled criticism. When I call her out on the nasty things she says, I'm just being "hostile" and "bothering her."

Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM

221 posts, read 797,007 times
I've been told I was pretty/beautiful from my family from as long as long as I can remember. And by my friends growing up too. It didn't give me that big of a head...JK

Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,576,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
So does anyone on here get complimented on their looks from their parents on a regular basis as an adult or at all. I don't. Isn't every parent supposed to think that their child is beautiful?
How about as a kid? Did you parents compliment your looks or criticize them?

I know this post is superficial but it is the fashion and beauty forum so....
Anyways just curious.
I grew up hearing I was beautiful from my mom and dad, and to this day I still hear it. My mom always built me up and also complimented me on my other talents and capabilities. She always told me that I could do more and be more and I'm grateful for that. Of course I had an inflated view of what I could do but life teaches you reality soon enough. I soon learned that no, I was not going to be an astronaut or concert pianist.

I think it's sad that kids do not grow up with that. My husbands family was the opposite so they grew up thinking they were average and nothing special. My husband sometimes will say that he thinks my family is arrogant, but I disagree, I think it's confidence. People who are confident shoot for the moon and take chances that no-one else will take. A child deserves to have that gift. Even if they lack in one area parents can still instill confidence by focusing on strengths and talents.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Mine points out how good looking other people are.
Does your Mom compliment you on other things?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,316,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Does your Mom compliment you on other things?

No she doesn't. She is just not the type to give compliments to me. She does compliment my kids like crazy.
I'm curious about your username BTW did you get it from a character in a book? I'm reading a book that has your username lyra as the main character.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
No she doesn't. She is just not the type to give compliments to me. She does compliment my kids like crazy.
I'm curious about your username BTW did you get it from a character in a book? I'm reading a book that has your username lyra as the main character.
No, not from a book but the constellation "Lyra". Looking at the sky/stars/meteor showers is a hobby.

I'm glad to hear she at least compliments your kids. Do you have a close relationship with her? Maybe your personalities clash or she is envious of you?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,316,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
No, not from a book but the constellation "Lyra". Looking at the sky/stars/meteor showers is a hobby.

I'm glad to hear she at least compliments your kids. Do you have a close relationship with her? Maybe your personalities clash or she is envious of you?

Its like she'll compliment other people around me on purpose. Strange.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Its like she'll compliment other people around me on purpose. Strange.
The lady next door to us, where I grew up, would do that all the time to her daughter. She would always tell me that I was so pretty in front of her. It annoyed my mom and made me feel uncomfortable.

Maybe subconsciously she sees you as an extension of herself? Maybe she thinks the complements but doesn't say them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty