U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM

29,610 posts, read 31,914,576 times

Advertisements

Women get work done so they don't feel like crap when they look in the mirror. Men, don't flatter yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
I don't think being old or married changes anything about the underlying motivation.
Everybody wants to look attractive to the other sex (or the same if you are homosexual). Even if you have been married to the same guy for half a century you still want to feel like other men also consider you attractive. If your husband were the only one who thought that way, you might wonder about his taste When a 70 year old woman dislikes features of her face, she does so because she compares her face to the one in her memory from decades ago when she was still young and beautiful - and attractive.

Same with me. Do you think I would continue to shave and comb my hair if it weren't for the mere existence of women?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think being old or married changes anything about the underlying motivation.
Everybody wants to look attractive to the other sex (or the same if you are homosexual). Even if you have been married to the same guy for half a century you still want to feel like other men also consider you attractive. If your husband were the only one who thought that way, you might wonder about his taste When a 70 year old woman dislikes features of her face, she does so because she compares her face to the one in her memory from decades ago when she was still young and beautiful - and attractive.

Same with me. Do you think I would continue to shave and comb my hair if it weren't for the mere existence of women?
I guess you're right. I mean, I've only known the woman for 35 years and can only go on what she tells me and the things I see her say and do, but I suppose you're correct. I'm sure it's to look good for men.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
[quote=wilson1010;15768146

Sometimes a woman just needs to have a man's viewpoint on these thing. Joy, you don't need to personalize this and demean my comments. You're opinion can stand on its own without having to step on mine. Try a little respect for others' opinions. You'll appear to be the better person for it.[/quote]
And sometimes we dont, judging from the other responses here.
Just a bit of constructive criticism here, but you come off as rather paternalistic sometimes.
You might wish to temper your own responses, you come off sounding like an old fogey that doesnt believe women can think for themselves.
I choose to believe you dont really mean to do appear this way, but you might wish to look at yourself before you judge others.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
Don't kid yourselves with this talk of women doing face lifts. Men have plastic surgery and facelifts just as much. Why? Cuz nobody wants to look like an old turd before they feel like one.

I'm definitely getting botox and facelifts when I need them, *IF* (and that is an IF) I still feel young on the inside by the time I look old on the outside. Unfortunately I already feel like an ornery old hag so I don't know if I will really care by the time I start getting wrinkles.

I currently have no wrinkles but my constant bitchface probably could benefit from some sort of surgery.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM

34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
If I could afford it, which I can't, I would have a little work done...not to look younger, but just to look like my best self. I would never get a face lift. Fairly, or unfairly, when I see a woman who is all stretched from a face lift, I feel sorry for her...like it's sort of pathetic.
I want my face to reflect myself and my true life (just without the eyebags and old age spots). I don't want a fake mask.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Just a bit of constructive criticism here, but you come off as rather paternalistic sometimes.
You might wish to temper your own responses, you come off sounding like an old fogey that doesnt believe women can think for themselves.
I choose to believe you dont really mean to do appear this way, but you might wish to look at yourself before you judge others.

That seems like a lot of projection for what I posted here. I gave a man's point of view. I'm OK for that viewpoint to be rejected. But why is it demeaned by you and why do you personalize it by trying to impute to me negative personal characteristics?

Aren't you the person who accused me of having a "trophy wife?" How would you know that? And, what a disgraceful thing to say against a woman you do not know nor who has done anything to you to deserve that insult. And, if it was true, so what? If I told Holly that you said she was a "trophy wife" you'd be flamed by her until she got banned. Actually, I'm married to a well known oil painter who is quite a great deal more highly regarded and professionally successful than I am. But you don't care about that, do you. You just need your weak ideas and tired shibboleths to seem crisper and more important by insulting me and my wife.

I would suggest that you make it on your own on these boards and not by stepping on others to raise yourself up. If I have nothing to say, then no one will pay any attention to me.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
That seems like a lot of projection for what I posted here. I gave a man's point of view. I'm OK for that viewpoint to be rejected. But why is it demeaned by you and why do you personalize it by trying to impute to me negative personal characteristics?

Aren't you the person who accused me of having a "trophy wife?" How would you know that? And, what a disgraceful thing to say against a woman you do not know nor who has done anything to you to deserve that insult. And, if it was true, so what? If I told Holly that you said she was a "trophy wife" you'd be flamed by her until she got banned. Actually, I'm married to a well known oil painter who is quite a great deal more highly regarded and professionally successful than I am. But you don't care about that, do you. You just need your weak ideas and tired shibboleths to seem crisper and more important by insulting me and my wife.

I would suggest that you make it on your own on these boards and not by stepping on others to raise yourself up. If I have nothing to say, then no one will pay any attention to me.
Stay on subject, will you?
No one cares about your wife, careers, and so forth.
This is about facelifts, not about you.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
Quote:
Stay on subject, will you?
No one cares about your wife, careers, and so forth.
This is about facelifts, not about you.
Hmmmm?

Quote:

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Hmmmm?
The first sentence of the latter post you quoted stated everything.
Now, go pet your cat and sit in your rocking chair for a while.
Back to our regularly scheduled thread, hopefully we can stay on subject.
I for one, would not be averse to a bit of Botox. I have had the habit of lifting one eyebrow, (yes, sarcastically, imagine that!) so I have lines on one side of my forehead, I would like to make those go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty