U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,834,257 times

Advertisements

I think they are required for hygenic purposes.

I hate them too- I wear them only when I wear a suit for work, for weddings and funerals.

The guy who invented them is on the same list as the one who invented bras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
In the late fifties and early sixties, we had to don the garter belt put the hose on. "Make sure those seams running up the back of your legs are even, girl. Look, I have these designs on my hose coming up from the heel, and you can get them with rhinestones, too!! "Hey, have you tried the makeup for your legs? It comes in a bottle, it is really thick and rubs off on your clothes, and you just use your eyebrow pencil to draw your seam on!" I remember all that!! I wear pantyhose when I dress up, because they really do make me look and feel completely dressed. I have a sister in law who used to wear them with shorts

Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 AM

434 posts, read 1,561,452 times
I wear them with any dress or skirt (except sundress and sandles) and when I wear a suit or any outfit where the slacks are "silky". I don't like them but with some shoes I need them and they make my clothes hang better.

When I waitressed in school I used to wear them because they seemed to make my legs hurt less over a long day. It may have been a myth but it made me feel better if only in my mind.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think they are required for hygenic purposes.
This I don't get, though I have heard it often. If the waitress's private parts are the issue (I can't think of anything else that "unhygenic" would be referring to, if not that), I would say if she has them anywhere near my food, there's bigger problems than hygiene! I have also been told that it's because of safety, but I can't think of a situation in which a pair of nylons would prevent injury (especially with hot stuff- if anything, the nylons would melt, maybe onto the skin, and make any injury worse..).

Ah- the perplexity of women's fashion/torture...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,459,376 times
I have worked in several offices where they were required for women as part of the dress code (if wearing a dress or skirt). If I get the job that I just interviewed for I will be wearing them again.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,868,678 times
I used to always wear panty hose and skirts to work. Two years ago, I quit, and only wear pants now. My place is a very small office and I don't need to impress anyone. I dress casual - not sloppy, tho. If I do need to wear a dress or skirt, I will wear panty hose. I think my legs are ugly, and I don't tan, so I have to cover them up someways

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 AM

3,091 posts, read 8,205,728 times
Quote:
This I don't get, though I have heard it often. If the waitress's private parts are the issue (I can't think of anything else that "unhygenic" would be referring to, if not that), I would say if she has them anywhere near my food, there's bigger problems than hygiene!
Some of us sweat more than others and it can cause a rash in parts left better undiscussed that may rub together. Liz

Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,633,836 times
I rarely wear them but will sometimes if I have to wear a suit (but usually wear black pantyhose, not the beige colored ones as I'm very fair skinned so they never came even close to my skin color and just looked silly). I know that support hose are useful when having to spend extended time on ones feet, thankfully, that is not something I have to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Some doctors recommend wearing of support hose for leg vein health - if someone has a history of varicose veins in the family they should consider this. If my job required me to stand for long hours (like waitressing) I would definitely be wearing support hose. But I loathe wearing any kind of pantyhose and thankfully the office I work in now abolished the "ladies must wear hose" dress code a few years back. It was simply ridiculous - we were allowed to wear sandals, but the hose had to be on. I know this is acceptable faishonwise in other parts of the country, but in Southern California no one would be caught dead wearing that.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
Default pantyhose...mostly gone

Yep, pantyhose are pretty much history as far as style today goes it seems. I work at a bank and even though we do dress up frequently (wear dresses and skirts) you usually don't see pantyhose being worn especially not here in Dallas during the summer. If I wear a dress in the winter, however, I do wear hose for a little warmth.

When I show my bare legs, I usually will have used a self-tanner product beforehand because I am very fair-skinned and to have a little more color looks a lot better. I usually use the combo kind they have now with a moisturizer because it gives a more natural result for fair-skinned people like myself!

I worked in a hospital many years ago and we were required to wear hose because it was thought that it was easier to pick up a staph infection with bare feet.(sandals) Whether that's actually so or not, I don't know. That was the reason given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty