U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM

110 posts, read 708,187 times

Advertisements

I must really be out of the loop, I had no idea that pantyhose are no longer popular! What are we gals supposed to wear with a dress or skirt then? Stockings and garter belt? I didn't like wearing those even when I was younger (before pantyhose was invented)! Bare legs? Not for someone like me with fair skin who avoids the sun and doesn't believe in slathering any kind of chemicals on my epidermis.

Seriously: What's not to like about pantyhose?? As long as they're the correct size, of course.

I can imagine they might be uncomfortable in a hot climate but luckily I live in the northern half of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,452,437 times
I don't wear them much anymore. On certain occasions that would require a dressy dress like a wedding or a funeral I will wear them otherwise not anymore. I am living in Texas now and with the heat and humidity I think I would die wearing them.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,149,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrgal View Post
I must really be out of the loop, I had no idea that pantyhose are no longer popular! What are we gals supposed to wear with a dress or skirt then? Stockings and garter belt? I didn't like wearing those even when I was younger (before pantyhose was invented)! Bare legs? Not for someone like me with fair skin who avoids the sun and doesn't believe in slathering any kind of chemicals on my epidermis.

Seriously: What's not to like about pantyhose?? As long as they're the correct size, of course.

I can imagine they might be uncomfortable in a hot climate but luckily I live in the northern half of the USA.
At least for me, they are itchy, hot, and incredibly uncomfortable. I don't wear any- ever, and I don't do tan-in-a-can, either. (And I am also a sun-avoider, and live in Maine!). I just don't have anything on my legs. Shocking, I know. I can't understand the purpose of putting something on that looks like skin, in order to cover up.... skin.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 PM

110 posts, read 708,187 times
If you're at an age (like I am) where those spider-veins (or whatever they're called) start to make appearances in multiple areas on your legs, going barelegged begins to look a lot less appealing. Wearing pantyhose is a quick fix for that. For those with varicose veins (my mother had bad ones as early as her late 60s) they not only make the legs look better but provide some needed support.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:21 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,226,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrgal View Post
If you're at an age (like I am) where those spider-veins (or whatever they're called) start to make appearances in multiple areas on your legs, going barelegged begins to look a lot less appealing. Wearing pantyhose is a quick fix for that. For those with varicose veins (my mother had bad ones as early as her late 60s) they not only make the legs look better but provide some needed support.
Boy, I'm sure you are really killing some young guy poster's fantasies.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 PM

9 posts, read 27,129 times
Default I still wear pantyhose

I still wear pantyhose because my legs (and body) are very pale and I feel I look ghastly without some color! I only wear them with my work clothes.

I like the way pantyhose smooth out my legs and give me some color, but if I had a little darker skin or got tanned regularly, I would happily give them up!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:08 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,902,624 times
I haven't worn hose in at least 20 years...I do like thick 'fashiony' tights with shorter skirts in the winter, but that nasty 'flesh' colored hose is horrible. I'm not pale (I run outside alot), but even if I were as white as a sheet I wouldn't wear hose.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,465,025 times
I,too, haven't worn a pair in years! It is awesome!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,489,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Pantyhose: an instrument of torture....Yuck!
You don't know torture until you've worn a girdle with tabs that attach to stockings...the tabs pop off and make bumps under your skirt, you have to keep the skirt tugged down to cover the dark tops of the stockings, or even worse, the gap between the girdle and the stocking...I was SO glad to get into pantyhose and out of those stupid girdles.
However, I haven't worn pantyhose since my daughter's wedding in 2005. But my feet sweat, so I HAVE to wear them when I wear a dress...which I hate...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,854,371 times
I don't wear pantyhose anymore, although in the winter, if I wear a dress, I like the tights.
A few years ago, when I worked for a bank, it was required to wear hose when wearing a dress or open toed shoes. Friday was the only day we could go without hose. I'm glad I'm a massage therapist now and don't have to mess with the hosiery anymore.
If I were going to a job interview, wedding or somewhere like that, I would wear hose; because they do make a person look more pulled together.
Years ago, I was going to a job interview and this girl in front of me was dressed to the top in her suit, perfect hair and makeup and no hose. I thought that made her look sloppy.
My mom is in her late 60's and where she works in an office does not have a dress code but she still puts on them stupid panty hose everyday and we're in Texas. Hot, humid. I think it's a habit with her and she can't stop. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty