Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,845 times

Advertisements

When did this forum come up ????? Wow..
Ok, So I have this wavy-curly kinda unruly hair which I straighten everyday with a flat iron I know it isnt a good thing to do, but I really love my hair straight . I was wondering if I should go in for the Thermal reconditioning thing. Anybody tried it ? I would like to know your experiences before investing major bucks into it. How long before your hair grows out and starts to look curly again ? Also how much can I expect to pay for this and any good places in New York or New Jersey where I can get it done ? Please share your experiences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Blow-drying doesn't work?
I am a curly haired gal, but I ended up just embracing the curls (which, in Florida, can be a major decision .)

This link might help you decide. I really respect Paula Begoun.

Straightened hair doesn't come easy

Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Blow-drying doesn't work?
It doesnt make my hair as straight as I want it . My hair is also very thick, so even after I blow dry it or use a flat iron, the volume is too much. You know, the ads for Japanese straightening with the before and after shots look sooooo good. I would love that sleek hair
Nice link. It says straightening can cause frizzy hair.. Well, my flat iron also does that to my hair , so I guess it's better to go in for permanent straightening then ??

Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
It says straightening can cause frizzy hair.. Well, my flat iron also does that to my hair , so I guess it's better to go in for permanent straightening then ??
I thought about this, too.
Years ago I was a teenybopper on Long Island and the last thing I wanted in '1967 was curly hair, so I ironed it. The frizziness did not happen right away, it occurred over time. I finally gave up (then we moved to Colorado where the aridity took a lot of the curl away).
My hair is thick too, but every now and then the stylist will talk me into letting him blowdry it, and it comes out pretty sleek. But stylists can always do things that I don't seem to be able to do.
I guess you have uber curls!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:55 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,895 times
I used a flat iron for a long time (my hair is naturally curly),but I was damaging my hair too much as my hair is fine, so I compromised and use hot rollers for about 10 minutes a day. This gives my hair body but controls the tendancy towards frizz(I live in a humid area in summer where that is a problem for me).

Old 09-26-2007, 02:51 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I'm a curly-haired gal, with what we affectionately call a "Jew-fro" (yes, I am Jewish before anyone takes offense ). It's even harder to control than regular curly hair, since it has a very coarse & dry texture. It can be a real pain in the arse, but I've tried to embrace it over the years! Anyway, I do flat-iron mine occasionally, and really like how it looks... to cil, blow-drying only makes it frizzy & ridiculously large. I considered doing the thermal reconditioning, but decided against it for a few reasons:

1. Here in San Francisco, it can cost anywhere from $500-1000 for the initial treatment... then you need it touched-up every 6 months or so, for about the same cost. I just can't make that kind of financial commitment, at least not right now.

2. Even if they do a perfect job, you can still tell when somebody's had it done - curls are stubborn creatures! My sister's friend did it, and she looks like a curly-haired girl who flat-irons... in other words, it'll never look like naturally straight/smooth hair. But if that doesn't matter to you, it would save you a lot of time, with the same results as ironing.

3. I think I'd miss my curls. Even when they're not cooperating, it is nice to have curly hair. If nothing else, you stand out in a crowd... of course as a redhead, I'll always stick out regardless - LOL.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:55 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
One more thing... if you do end up getting it straightened, make sure to do a LOT of research first! There are many different chemicals & techniques out there, and you want one that's best for your hair. If you need any help with that, let me know.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Maybe I should try using the rollers too. I really worry about all the damage to my hair from the flat iron , but I am like addicted to it now
Also I had a lot of split ends from the constant frying, so I just got them cut.

Gizmo, I guess it costs the same here in NJ/NY. But I heard there are a few places in NY where it is cheaper. But I really dont know how effective and safe it is . I dont want to end up a disaster
And 500 to 1000 is really too much for me too. Add the cost of retouches and it will be double the amount
Now I would consider doing it if I was 100% sure of the results. But I dont know anyone who's been there and done that and there are like a 100 different types and techniques on the internet, so I dont know how to go about this

Ohhhhh, I am so confused .. I really love straight hair .. What do I do ..

Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 AM

766 posts, read 529,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
It doesnt make my hair as straight as I want it . My hair is also very thick, so even after I blow dry it or use a flat iron, the volume is too much. You know, the ads for Japanese straightening with the before and after shots look sooooo good. I would love that sleek hair
Nice link. It says straightening can cause frizzy hair.. Well, my flat iron also does that to my hair , so I guess it's better to go in for permanent straightening then ??

I have very curly hair,I straighten it and 2 hours later it starts curling ,I tried blow drying it,just makes it worse.That permanent straightening doesn't always work I heard.
Sometimes I embrace my curls other days I twist and clip!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,195 times
Have you tried any of the smoothing products from Biolage? They are my favorite my hair looks so good and feels so soft. I use a flatiron (a Chi) about 3 times a week, as my hair is very dry and cannot be washed more than every other day. I have a satin pillow slip for my pillow and my hair looks good and stays straight, thanks to the Biolage products and the Chi. I can even go out in the rain and my hair doesn't look bad since switching to Biolage products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty