Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

It is not ok to wear a cardigan. Reason why it looks decent on some models is because they are models so they can pull it off. Most average people can not pull off a sweater meant for a chick. Sorry, thats what I think off when I see cardigan sweaters.

Myself, I can't stand indy music nor their fashion style. cardigans are extremely indy and have always been preppy. If you are preppy, you wouldn't think twice about wearing one since the preppy style really hasn't changed much since the 50's hence why they dress the way they do.

Also, no way a fat dude can pull off a cardigan. It will only make you look even more fat. That oversized cardigan looks retarded. I imagine Meg Ryan walking around in that with her plastic face not an adult male.

Anything with the term "trendy" in it means you shouldn't be wearing it. You will see that in your closet 4 years from now and think to yourself, "damn, I dressed like a douchebag back then."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I am much more pro male sweater vest than I am male cardigan. But even at that rate, it's a very specific look that's not for everybody. And, for the most part, I go for dudes who don't have "looks."

Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
No, no, no...leather bomber jacket, yes, Harvard Sweatshirt, yes, pullover fisherman sweater, yes...cardigan...don't do it.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Yea, I just don't get it. Out of all the things a dude could wear to keep warm, one chooses to wear something that is BARELY uni-sexual. Mr. Rogers got away with it cause its Mr. Rogers!!! He was an old dude who talked out loud and had puppets...YOU WANT TO COMPARE YOURSELF TO THAT!? REALLY!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Here are some different looks that can be achieved, and just for Julia all are paired with regular to slim fit pants or jeans :

Loose-fitting cardigan

Fitted cardigan

Oversized cardigan

Preppy cardigan

Striped cardigan

Trendy cardigan
I'd wear all of them, maybe not the over-sized one, I'd have to put one on to really tell. If you look good in it, wear it, and if other people are going to peck at you about it like a hen then they're not worth being around; seriously, who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yea, I just don't get it. Out of all the things a dude could wear to keep warm, one chooses to wear something that is BARELY uni-sexual. Mr. Rogers got away with it cause its Mr. Rogers!!! He was an old dude who talked out loud and had puppets...YOU WANT TO COMPARE YOURSELF TO THAT!? REALLY!
So if an old person wears something that means it's not good to wear it or fashionable? Is that the logic you're following? Hey, he wore fitted pants too! Guys, get rid of your pants that fit, it's not cool; wear them baggy and or sagging down halfway down your thighs with your boxers exposed. Girlfriend, please.

And you said something about cardigans meant for females, okay, let's follow that logic. Pants are meant for males so ... uuh, duh?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The first cardigans were made popular after the war hero James Thomas Brudenell, the 7th Earl of Cardigan, outfitted his troops with them in the Crimean War. He was the first to cross the Russian lines during the Charge of the Light Brigade.

I for one am glad that male fashions are starting to incorporate more variety. For too long men have not had many choices when it comes to dress and style. Choices which still fall into the range of normal attire without being too flamboyant, which should be avoided at all costs but is a common pitfall for the male attempting to try on different looks.

The cardigan is an excellent way to expand a male wardrobe because it does not stand out at all if the cut and print are right. The Europeans, who generally dress better than Americans, are no strangers to cardigans. In fact Vladimir Kostov had his life saved when in an episode of espionage there was an assassination attempt involving the injection of the deadly toxin ricin but thanks to his thick wool cardigan it did not go down as planned.

For the critics of cardigans, there is nothing wrong with wanting to limit your own wardrobe, or for females, to prefer to see men fit to the one standard you prefer, I hope the same courtesy is extended when you are expected to adhere to the one standard most men prefer, when it comes to dress that is.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I'd wear all of them, maybe not the over-sized one, I'd have to put one on to really tell. If you look good in it, wear it, and if other people are going to peck at you about it like a hen then they're not worth being around; seriously, who cares.

So if an old person wears something that means it's not good to wear it or fashionable? Is that the logic you're following? Hey, he wore fitted pants too! Guys, get rid of your pants that fit, it's not cool; wear them baggy and or sagging down halfway down your thighs with your boxers exposed. Girlfriend, please.

And you said something about cardigans meant for females, okay, let's follow that logic. Pants are meant for males so ... uuh, duh?

My logic is, when people think of a man wearing a cardigan, they think of Mr. Rogers. No and, if's, or but's. You seriously must have not watched it as a kid or have an awful memory but the vast majority of the time, the camera view was of his bust not a far away shot. If you don't believe me, do an image search of Mr. Rogers and the vast majority are bust shots.

Additionally, I still remember he did a little song when he walked into the house which included his cardigan NOT his pants. His signature attire is the cardigan not his pants.

Let me know when you tired of being wrong so I can move on, thanks.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
That "old dude" had a show that lasted over 30 years. It also received four Emmy Awards. Obviously, some people didn't care if he talked puppets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post

Yeah, isn't it funny how people forget that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The first cardigans were made popular after the war hero James Thomas Brudenell, the 7th Earl of Cardigan, outfitted his troops with them in the Crimean War. He was the first to cross the Russian lines during the Charge of the Light Brigade.

I for one am glad that male fashions are starting to incorporate more variety. For too long men have not had many choices when it comes to dress and style. Choices which still fall into the range of normal attire without being too flamboyant, which should be avoided at all costs but is a common pitfall for the male attempting to try on different looks.

The cardigan is an excellent way to expand a male wardrobe because it does not stand out at all if the cut and print are right. The Europeans, who generally dress better than Americans, are no strangers to cardigans. In fact Vladimir Kostov had his life saved when in an episode of espionage there was an assassination attempt involving the injection of the deadly toxin ricin but thanks to his thick wool cardigan it did not go down as planned.

For the critics of cardigans, there is nothing wrong with wanting to limit your own wardrobe, or for females, to prefer to see men fit to the one standard you prefer, I hope the same courtesy is extended when you are expected to adhere to the one standard most men prefer, when it comes to dress that is.
Roald Dahl and Bill Cosby wore Cardigans.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
My logic is, when people think of a man wearing a cardigan, they think of Mr. Rogers. No and, if's, or but's. You seriously must have not watched it as a kid or have an awful memory but the vast majority of the time, the camera view was of his bust not a far away shot. If you don't believe me, do an image search of Mr. Rogers and the vast majority are bust shots.

Additionally, I still remember he did a little song when he walked into the house which included his cardigan NOT his pants. His signature attire is the cardigan not his pants.
Oh really? Is there a study out on that? I'd be happy to look at that finding.

And you seem content on your narrow mind that if Mr. Rogers wore it than it's a fashion faux pas. "My logic" as you state is exactly that, "your logic", which is anyone with half a brain's logical fallacy. And sorry there, just because you were fixated on his cardigans doesn't mean it was his signature. Many people have worn cardigans before him, just because you have an odd fixation to attribute that particular clothing item to him tells something else other than this adamant claim that it's a fashion faux pas.

Quote:
Let me know when you tired of being wrong so I can move on, thanks.
Wrong about what? Fashion is subjective, what may work for one body type may not work for another. Like I said before, if you look good in it, wear it. So sorry to burst your prima-donna fashion dictator bubble there. Ok well, I'm not sorry actually. Have fun being disgruntled prima-donna just because people have different ideas of fashion from yours.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
My logic is, when people think of a man wearing a cardigan, they think of Mr. Rogers. No and, if's, or but's. You seriously must have not watched it as a kid or have an awful memory but the vast majority of the time...
So people should regulate their fashion sense based on your decades old memories of popular culture?

If Mr. Rogers is all you can think of when you think 'cardigan' then that reflects more on the fact of you most likely being more comfortable in pop culture wasteland than in the very contemporary world of current fashions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty