Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: How do you see yourself physically?
Plain 11 57.89%
Beautiful 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Or rather, how OTHERS [opposite sex - men, usually] voluntarily compare us to the others. There were like 5 guys down at the metro stop that were putting up placards w/ numbers on them [1-10, if you get my drift] based on their personal views of each woman that was coming down off the escalator that day. Nice to know how our fellow man enjoys hurting other people's feelings as human beings.

Not cool..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
I didn't get a chance to see your wife. Its not that I doubt you. Its just that most husband's are so blinded by love that what appears beautiful to them might not to other men. Beauty is very subjective. Its awesome that you think she is so beautiful though. She is lucky to have you.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
This is the key to any of these issues, not just how we see ourselves, but how we compare ourselves to others, and ultimately how we even see others.

People just give up too easily and do not work with what they have. Clothes can alter your look so you can be someone different everyday, more so for women since males don't have as many fashion options, but there is also the way we carry ourselves and act.

Some people deliberately dress and act ugly when they can do so much better. On the other hand some rather unattractive people carefully consider their appearance and demeanor and adjust so that they appear very desirable.
Well said. I see so many average looking women who look extremely sexy in the right outfits, the right hairstyles, and most of all the right attitude. Like men, confidence in a woman is strikingly attractive. Even if a woman is beautiful......if she has no confidence and no self esteem it cuts down on her attractiveness. This isn't the 1950s where most people dress and look the same. There are SO many avenues with clothes, hairstyles, etc. for women and men to look great and feel great about themselves.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 AM

19,491 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Unfortunately, signs or not, people, not just men, do this everyday in treating others differently, acting more friendly, etc...

It is also easy to blame the actions of others for our own self-esteem issues but if we have better self-esteem then getting low-carded should not affect one terribly.

Likewise if the person who gets the high-card feels a boost all day because of it then you can also say they have bad self-esteem issues as well if that is what it takes for a boost...see not just the unattractive have self-esteem issues.

It is never other people, or the Hollywood version of beauty that is put out, that causes self-esteem issues but rather how we feel ourselves and what we think up all in our own little minds.

I am sure though that it is worst for post-menopausal women though...instead of men looking to them to see if they are attractive or not it is as if they are just invisible. Something to do with how we evolved to notice those who have the most fertile signals.

In either case too many people believe they are either born with it or not, which leads to most self-esteem issues, because they are focused on just one aspect of themselves and do not really see themselves as a complete person able to express and display beauty in other ways.

For some it is as if others do not find them attractive then they just give up and quit trying when the people who are most likely viewed as attractive consistently work with what they have instead of just giving up.

A graceful person who is elegant is always a winner regardless of the looks they were born with.

I can see how a young male cashier would much prefer some young, cute female hotties in their lines but us "other" folks would like for them to at least acknowlege us as human beings, even though we'll be going through the lines and out the door much quicker.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 AM

19,491 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I hope that they were teenagers at least. Not that that excuses their behaviour but if grown men were doing this
Guessing a couple of them to be in their late 20's.
I bet they had a good time that day.
I know that there are men who most likely suffer from the same self-esteem issues that women do and if that were the reverse, there would most likely be some hurt feelings as well.

To those who say, this is nothing because you seem to hold your self-esteem in check: how would you feel if you thought the young guy was really hot up until the moment when you see him post your score of 6. Does that self-esteem sorta take a hit then?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,322,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I see lots of very attractive women walking up and down the streets in Downtown DC. I wonder what they think about themselves. They seem to go all out with fancy hair, makeup, clothes and they carry themselves like beauty queens. But do they really think they are beautiful or are they their own worst critics?

Do you see yourself as ugly, plain, pretty, fancy, or just plain beautiful?
Ye, I'm sexy as hll...but get ignored like the plague on here...cause I think woman think I'm gay...and gay people think I'm 'confused'...

So I'm like stuck in the middle somewhere...

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/ghostchildd88/solempose-1.gif (broken link)

YouTube - ‪dream weaver gary wright‬‏

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,052 times
Quote:
I see lots of very attractive women walking up and down the streets in Downtown DC. I wonder what they think about themselves. They seem to go all out with fancy hair, makeup, clothes and they carry themselves like beauty queens. But do they really think they are beautiful or are they their own worst critics?

I grew up having self esteem issues. When I was a small child and teenager, I didn't care about how I looked and I was a tomboy. Since I looked different than most people because of my ethnicity and my lack of style, I got picked on a lot. I grew up thinking I was seriously ugly and that when I'd walk into a room I was the most unattractive person. I hated myself and wanted to die because I thought something was wrong with me and that I should be ashamed that I did not look like everyone else.

Things changed in my later years of high school, you could say because I looked more like a woman and started being into fashion more. You could say it was because I dressed differently, but I think it was more than that. I changed how I carried myself and I changed how I felt about myself because you can wear the most fashionable clothes and have tons of guys telling you how beautiful you are and still think you are ugly.

Today I would say that I have a much healthier relationship with myself. I do think my sense of style helped me, but really it has more to do with how I started telling myself that I am worth it. How fashion helped me was by creating my own style that I feel good in but not consumed in. The thing is that there are plenty of women that have self esteem issues and they could be wearing the hottest clothes in season with gorgeous hair and makeup and a rockin' body. They may look like they have it all but that isn't always the case. Those girls that picked on me because they thought they were perfect and had all the fancy clothes actually had bad self esteem issues themselves.

So I can only speak for myself and that would be a yes, I am my own worst critic. I'm not going to say I'm all that, but I will say that I dress nicely most of the time and do my hair and makeup when I go out. There are those times when I feel that I'm not enough, but I can pull myself back up.

Sorry for the back story. lol.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,477 times
Quote:

I see myself and so do others as very pretty. Being so I am a natural beauty I dont need anything to make me look good. I can run out with nothing on an look fantastic. A person who has to use tons of product to look good may not be so pretty underneath all that fakeness.

Sure people like Kim Kardashian if she removed all her make up hair extensions and eyelashes she may look even better then so fake.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Or rather, how OTHERS [opposite sex - men, usually] voluntarily compare us to the others. There were like 5 guys down at the metro stop that were putting up placards w/ numbers on them [1-10, if you get my drift] based on their personal views of each woman that was coming down off the escalator that day. Nice to know how our fellow man enjoys hurting other people's feelings as human beings.
If you don't know these guys, what do you care what they think about you?

They are judging/rating you whether they hold the cards up or not - the only difference is that you are aware of it.

Just let it roll off your back.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,210 times
Quote:

Beautiful...but I'm so friendly too...my inward beauty shows too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty