Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM

228 posts, read 740,222 times

Advertisements

I am all most out of razor blades for my old MACH 3 and was thinking of getting a new razor. I have an Braun Electric as well which I use for travel but when home nothing beats a real razor. Are the new 5 blade razors really better or is that corporate hype? The razor blades are now getting expensive almost a buck a piece these days,. I am almost considering going old school with a single blade saftey razor not only are they far less expensive they are supposedly a closer shave. Any thoughts and or experience with both new and old scholl type blades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
I really think the twin blade disposables are the way to go. I personally do not like the lubricant pad, but people tell me they work better than the old fashioned "Good News" I still use. Good News are about $.45 each. I'm sure you know that the beard prep is equally important with the razor.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
I am a huge fan of the Mach III Turbo blades. I think the four and five blades are overkill and not worth the extra money spent on them.

I DO NOT like disposables at all.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
I am all most out of razor blades for my old MACH 3 and was thinking of getting a new razor. I have an Braun Electric as well which I use for travel but when home nothing beats a real razor. Are the new 5 blade razors really better or is that corporate hype? The razor blades are now getting expensive almost a buck a piece these days,. I am almost considering going old school with a single blade saftey razor not only are they far less expensive they are supposedly a closer shave. Any thoughts and or experience with both new and old scholl type blades?
Find ,and buy, a good quality Straight Razor (do not pinch penny's here!), brush, soap mug and quality razor strop to have the best type of razor for the closest shave ever invented. With care you now own the best lifetime shaving equipment known to man.

While old fashioned to be sure the smooth shave you get with a straight razor is unmatched by any other type of shaving equipment.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,348 times
I kept buying into the Mach blades until I realized how much money I was spending monthly on them. I shave pretty much every day, so these very expensive blades go bad pretty quickly. I have since switched back to dollar store single blades and won't go back to high dollar blades. I can use a different blade each day and still save a lot of money over the fancy blades. It's 10 cents a blade, so if I use a different one each day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks, I've spent a whopping $2 on blades a month. Heck, I can use one blade on my right side and another for my left and still spend only $4 on blades a month. I have thick facial hair and it feels fine on me even going against the grain.
The only other way to beat this is with a straight razor if you want to spend an hour shaving each day.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I kept buying into the Mach blades until I realized how much money I was spending monthly on them. I shave pretty much every day, so these very expensive blades go bad pretty quickly. I have since switched back to dollar store single blades and won't go back to high dollar blades. I can use a different blade each day and still save a lot of money over the fancy blades. It's 10 cents a blade, so if I use a different one each day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks, I've spent a whopping $2 on blades a month. Heck, I can use one blade on my right side and another for my left and still spend only $4 on blades a month. I have thick facial hair and it feels fine on me even going against the grain.
The only other way to beat this is with a straight razor if you want to spend an hour shaving each day.
Are you using a singel edge blade with saftey razor?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Find ,and buy, a good quality Straight Razor (do not pinch penny's here!), brush, soap mug and quality razor strop to have the best type of razor for the closest shave ever invented. With care you now own the best lifetime shaving equipment known to man.

While old fashioned to be sure the smooth shave you get with a straight razor is unmatched by any other type of shaving equipment.

I am thinking straigh razor as well but I have never used one. I guess that could be the ticket all the way around. I do use a moisturizing oil pre-shave, and a jar of high quality shaving cream and have a nice badger hair brush. I am sold on these for sure.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I use a single edge "safety razor" that has the clamshell opening at the top to load in a fresh blade. The single edge blades are very inexpensive, and last a long time (12+ shaves for me). I use Prorazo shaving soap and a badger hair shaving brush that makes a great lather. This old school stuff is not available in Walgreens, CVS or big box stores so you have to buy off the web (amazon has huge selection) or pay more at a specialty shaving store.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM

I bought my shaving kit less razors at Art of Shaving but recently found out they are owned by Gillete which explains why they push the new Fusion Razors.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
I am thinking straigh razor as well but I have never used one. I guess that could be the ticket all the way around. I do use a moisturizing oil pre-shave, and a jar of high quality shaving cream and have a nice badger hair brush. I am sold on these for sure.

Anyone can learn (with steady hands) how to shave with a straight razor. Sure during the learning period you will nick yourself a few times but that will go away as soon as your hands learn proper pressure & stroke which isn't all that long for most folk's.

A single blade "safety razor" is also a good choice in that once you buy the blade holder the blades are dirt cheap and it shaves almost as good as straight razor.

One point that is missed about shaving is it's all about repeat business which is why there are so many gee whiz razors on the market not. The old straight razor and the safety razor are all about a great smooth shave but that doesn't generate much repeat business so they are down played and hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty