Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

I've always found it odd why so many women like wearing dark, matching colours
even in weather where they are suffering in the sun for their colour choice.
Like say black or navy top, pants and maybe a sweater, all the same colour.
No print or anything.
I find this style a bit boring, but also weird when it's warm and sunny.

Guys under 40 would probably only dress like this if they wanted to look "Goth", "Metal-head" or generic "bad-ass."

Is this primarily a trend where the climate throughout the year is cool/cold
or is it also common in warm/hot sunny climates for women to dress this way,
and have to keep their time in the sun brief, in the name of "fashion"?

Personally, I often try to avoid colour and tone matching
because with no contrast your pants blend into your shirt all you see at a glance is your face and hands.
Except sometimes I like white-on-white in summer, for dressy-casual wear.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-08-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Perhaps they do it to create a long, lean shape.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Perhaps they do it to create a long, lean shape.
If that's true,
is the effect only supposed to be noticeable to people who think monotone dark colours are slimming?

It may work a little, if you are actually wanting to see a slim figure,
but I always notice colour and pattern first and then ponder why it's so plain and dark.

When I "check out" women,
shape is more noticeable than size to me and dark colours don't hide that.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I wear all darks because prints usually look terrible on me. And I am just not a color person other than in accents and sometimes. It much easier to mix and match your closet. I think the key in making monotone work is playing with the texture. Matte and understated texture on the heavier sides of you and something with chunks or sheen on the small side of you. I also love that it was sorta trend to mix navy and black or black and brown when it was such a no no before. I am sure it still looks strange to some people though.

When I see this look I think north east coast. The high color look you are talking about seems more like west coast and southern girls type of dressing.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I may not wear tone on tone (at least, not always, and if I do wear, say, black pants with a black top, I'll generally add some vividly colored accessory of interest...red shoes/purse, a pink cami that shows slightly, bright green scarf, etc.), but I DEFINITELY avoid prints. Mostly, prints look cheap. If I want to add interest, I do it with jewelry and other accessories, not with prints. I also tend to mix neutrals, more than go monochrome...charcoal with black, camel with brown, etc.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 AM

122 posts, read 207,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I wear all darks because prints usually look terrible on me. And I am just not a color person other than in accents and sometimes. It much easier to mix and match your closet. I think the key in making monotone work is playing with the texture. Matte and understated texture on the heavier sides of you and something with chunks or sheen on the small side of you. I also love that it was sorta trend to mix navy and black or black and brown when it was such a no no before. I am sure it still looks strange to some people though.

When I see this look I think north east coast. The high color look you are talking about seems more like west coast and southern girls type of dressing.
yes,when I wear to many color ,I feel uncomfortable and unsuitable!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I may not wear tone on tone (at least, not always, and if I do wear, say, black pants with a black top, I'll generally add some vividly colored accessory of interest...red shoes/purse, a pink cami that shows slightly, bright green scarf, etc.), but I DEFINITELY avoid prints. Mostly, prints look cheap. If I want to add interest, I do it with jewelry and other accessories, not with prints. I also tend to mix neutrals, more than go monochrome...charcoal with black, camel with brown, etc.

This is basically how I dress, too. Not a fan of prints, but I will throw in a pop of color. One of my favorite outfits for fall weather is a black top with charcoal grey pants and my red wedges.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:16 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Unfortunately, some Dept. stores require employees AND vendors to adhere to a dress policy (I'm a vendor) and this particular chain requires Black

Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
When I see this look I think north east coast.
The high color look you are talking about seems more like west coast and southern girls type of dressing.
So this dark-on-dark look is mostly a northeastern US fashion? (which Toronto is close to)
"High colour" means a lot of colour?

I prefer wearing lighter and bolder colours; seems cheerful and makes me feel happier.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Black makes me feel happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty