Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

I don't know how anyone can tell the quality of the material in post 1. pics.

The hem line is rakiish, but certainly a older classic style. The model is wearing a blousey top under the jacket so cleavage is a non issue.

The side profile of here has her feet pointing the other way and shei is twisting hard back to her left making every curve she has be a point of view.

I am guessing this is to be modern, no one would stand that way long and not need a trip to the bone crusher.

I went back to review my original comments after reading so many I don't exactly agree with.

If i worked with the model and she wore that dress at the end of the day i would know what she had on outer most. It would serve memory, and not just have blended in with mutan gray everyone else wears to basicly hide in plain sight. But isn't under dressed or over dressed, it's a classic female form in a showy display with in limits of being reasonable.

In another post much later in the thread is a blone model in a straight cut black suit. All squares, and is hiding in plain sight. No one will know what she wore at days end and won't care either. it's hiding in plain sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Pitt that gal looks like the walking dead... Straight from some prision camp.
I know. Its why I hate it when people call thinner women "anorexic".

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
The hemline is what makes the suit.
Its a peplum-type hemline.
Peplums were wildly popular in the 40s as a back of a jacket treatment, and then came back in the 80s as both a back of the jacket, and back of a skirt treatment.
I owned a couple of skirts back in the 80s with that type hemline.
A bit of fashion history for those that care.
Could also be interpreted as a fishtail hem, bet from what I can tell from the pix, its a peplum.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And how is his weight relevant to the topic? Come to think of it, how is anyone's weight relevant? The way you worded this thread is weird too, like only "fit" women (whatever that means) your age can recognize style. Or did I misread that?

Not that my opinion matters, since I'm a GINORMOUS size 14, but I think it's bordering on too risque... cute, but definitely toeing that line of "acceptable office wear." Then again, if you're in a creative industry in NYC, that might actually be perfect. You like it? Then go for it!
Weight is relevant because I don't want to read the comments of fat people claiming that an average fit woman is anorexic.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Hey I just want to say thanks to all the people who commented on his thread. I really appreciate the fact that so many people weighed in with their opinions. Thank you all, your feedback is way more than I expected.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The hemline is what makes the suit.
Its a peplum-type hemline.
Peplums were wildly popular in the 40s as a back of a jacket treatment, and then came back in the 80s as both a back of the jacket, and back of a skirt treatment.
I owned a couple of skirts back in the 80s with that type hemline.
A bit of fashion history for those that care.
Could also be interpreted as a fishtail hem, bet from what I can tell from the pix, its a peplum.

kshe. when I first entered this thread, i did so becaue you had just been the last poster. At first i missed you were not the thread starter, and i was in the head set of this dress was something you were looking at for you. I thought it was excellent for you too.

If what i think of as the poster OngletNYC in my mind, since of i am correct i had seen her profile pic, I think it would work for her as well.

What is hard is guessing what any one looks like, more so females as they tend to mess up their profile pics with odd things, or use odd lens settings, with strange light.

Getting a clean photo from you wimin's just ain't easy.

Just ask Parks Canada about my vist at Ft Lousiburg and their yellow sack back pollinaise'. I was tuckered out bad, that museum is a really big place and sat non the floor by chance to rest awhile. The parks inturpretor (sp), came along with a group and said Nice yellow dress.

I peeped right up knowing alot more about that dress than she did. I knew about the other accouterments like the shoe,s to save real shoes, known as mules, and why the heels were painted bright red.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I'm not feeling the suit, mainly because it looks like it's leftover inventory from the 1980s. Too much going on with the collar, bottom of the jacket and the bottom of the skirt.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,635 times
I don't know.

The top looks professional, but I'm kind of skeptical about the bottoms (the skirt). It's a little too snug (most suits should be a little loose fitting and have a more professional look). It's not that professional looking to me.

But that's just what I see, but others may differ. I wouldn't wear it at an office job. At the club, hell yeah!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
kshe. when I first entered this thread, i did so becaue you had just been the last poster. At first i missed you were not the thread starter, and i was in the head set of this dress was something you were looking at for you. I thought it was excellent for you too.

If what i think of as the poster OngletNYC in my mind, since of i am correct i had seen her profile pic, I think it would work for her as well.

What is hard is guessing what any one looks like, more so females as they tend to mess up their profile pics with odd things, or use odd lens settings, with strange light.

Getting a clean photo from you wimin's just ain't easy.

Just ask Parks Canada about my vist at Ft Lousiburg and their yellow sack back pollinaise'. I was tuckered out bad, that museum is a really big place and sat non the floor by chance to rest awhile. The parks inturpretor (sp), came along with a group and said Nice yellow dress.

I peeped right up knowing alot more about that dress than she did. I knew about the other accouterments like the shoe,s to save real shoes, known as mules, and why the heels were painted bright red.
Mac, I ordered the suit this afternoon, I have an event next month that it will be PERFECT for......thank you for thinking that it will look good on me, I feel the same way!
General statement here........ladies, the 80s are coming back.
Dolman sleeves and shoulder pads were big showings at Fashion Week in NYC, as well as some other trends that are major 80s stuff.
Just remember, big hair is not your friend....it really is not true that the bigger the hair is, the smaller the hips look!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Mac, I ordered the suit this afternoon, I have an event next month that it will be PERFECT for......thank you for thinking that it will look good on me, I feel the same way!
General statement here........ladies, the 80s are coming back.
Dolman sleeves and shoulder pads were big showings at Fashion Week in NYC, as well as some other trends that are major 80s stuff.
Just remember, big hair is not your friend....it really is not true that the bigger the hair is, the smaller the hips look!
You are right kshe95girl, the 80's are coming back. Some of the styles are in much nicer fabrics and that will make a big difference. Most women loved Dolman sleeves and shoulder pad because they gave everyone a waist. I remember designers complaining in magazines and in tv shows about the heat they were taking from Jane Q. Public about how reluctant women were to give up the shoulder pad.

Last edited by taigagirl; 10-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty