Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Since when is work about a fashion parade for onlookers?

Well glad you agree that nurses have pretty much abandoned all fashion and just do not care about presentation now, a true decline in that profession. Whether others agree or not, aesthetics are important. We are the ones who have to look at you. Instead of redesigning patient garb to make it look better they decided in downgrading the nurses uniform. Frumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Well glad you agree that nurses have pretty much abandoned all fashion and just do not care about presentation now, a true decline in that profession. Whether others agree or not, aesthetics are important. We are the ones who have to look at you. Instead of redesigning patient garb to make it look better they decided in downgrading the nurses uniform. Frumpy.
Nursing should not be about fashion. The fact that you think so tells me you have wierd ideas about it all. "Presentation" need only be about looking neat, clean, and dressing in a manner that makes you the most efficient in your job. What "people who look at you" think isn't on the radar. If you want to look at something pretty go to a fashion show. Imagine for a minute what the nurses have to look at.... If you want a nurse to tend to your messy, leaky, naked, broken body then you will get what works for them, not what visually appeals to you.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
You think the nursing profession is in decline because of the frumpy uniforms?? Really??

Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
When you come in to my ED having a cardiac arrest I'll be sure to pop back to the lunchroom and change into something white and formal

Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM

I don't think I approve at all of the attitude that nurses should be able to dress as they please because they have to put up with 'us'. It is not some privilege or right that nurses offer us for free, it is a service they are being compensated for, and I agree indeed that 'presentation' should be a part of that service.

It is this exact attitude of believing it is about you, oh so if I am having a medical emergency I am too wait, to change a uniform or for whatever reason, and I am sure some patients are ignored, just like that one lady who died in the waiting room while nurses looked about and did not care, sorry it is not about you but it is about the patients, and we should not have to further suffer the fashion atrocity that modern nursing has become on top of the privileged attitude and declining bedside manner.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I will say, there was a great deal of respect surrounding me in my tidy whiteys. I felt authoritative in my young age. And besides that uniform and cap, you walk into a guys room with an enema bag or syringe-boy,you got r-e-s-p-e-c-t !
Hospitals were strict about uniform rules and appearances. I guess comfort and practicality won out. I can not remember when it exactly changed to scrubs (the late 80's perhaps?)
I am all for comfort and whatever works to be efficient in the job (but please,get that hair out of your face-and the patients face too)
And I am not sure that nurses have more physical work now then back then.
We pretty much did it all then. I see alot more help now a days, be it technically or physically.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I foresee future threads, such as Schoolgirls: What Happened to Plaid Skirts and Knee Socks? and Teachers: Can't You Look a Little Bit Hotter? I mean, why aren't all teachers required to wear pencil skirts and high heels?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Interesting article on nurses' uniforms.

Nursing Uniforms - Move Over Whites

Quote:
The change may have been a simple matter of fashion making its way into the industry, but there were probably some general mindsets about health care that also played a role. Over the past few years, it's come to be accepted that the attitudes of those who are sick, their families and their caregivers play a role in the potential for recovery. Sick people simply don't need to be reminded that they're sick. There's no need for the white color or the "swishing" professionalism of the starched uniforms.

This is especially the case for children's wards where the strict dress code has been eliminated in favor of bright colors. When children are sick, the world becomes a frightening place. There's no need to further that image by having the health care professionals also look like scary people. Bright colored scrubs or even jeans and t-shirts are the preferred dress code in many doctor's offices and hospitals.

But what about the professionals? Are they less because of the relaxation of apparel? Most seem to agree that today's health care fashions are not only more physically comfortable, they also allow the doctors, nurses and lab technicians to present a calmer appearance. And the professionalism, they say, exists in the heart and mind of the care giver - not in the clothing.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I foresee future threads, such as Schoolgirls: What Happened to Plaid Skirts and Knee Socks? and Teachers: Can't You Look a Little Bit Hotter? I mean, why aren't all teachers required to wear pencil skirts and high heels?
I realized something while looking at some late nite movie ads.
If only I had kept my plaid skirt/knee socks uniform from Catholic school, and my nurses uniform and cap,,,I could have had a lucrative second career in adult movies.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I would rep you again if I could lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty