U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,211,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
My granddad was a cobbler making special shoes ,as well as repair them, all his life so go split your hairs somewhere else.
If he really made "special shoes" then you're doing him a disservice by calling him a cobbler. That's like calling a fashion designer a "seamstress". And look dude, if you have a shoe and foot fetish, there are better places than these boards to indulge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM

884 posts, read 2,311,512 times
I admire all women that can wear high heels. I for one cannot and never could. I'd love to be able to make beautiful 2" heeled shoes. I think I am going to look online and see if that is possible.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If he really made "special shoes" then you're doing him a disservice by calling him a cobbler. That's like calling a fashion designer a "seamstress". And look dude, if you have a shoe and foot fetish, there are better places than these boards to indulge them.
Stop trying to spoil this thread with off topic comments.........

Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,734,499 times
Actually Mercury Cougar's contributions were the ones which taught me the most on this thread. I like learning.

Can you call a fashion designer a tailor?

Well flats being bad for your feet is news to me. So are heels. Should women walk barefooted? I don't think I like that idea at all! Feet are a huge turn off...sorry Tightwad. I don't mind looking at shoes though just keep them on.

I know when it comes to running all those fancy shoes and soles cause more injuries and it is better to run in flatter-soled trainers.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM

914 posts, read 1,536,155 times
Quote:
Info for all ages of ladies to read and , PLEASE, think about......

"Could you be teetering on the brink of injury or a lifetime of arthritis? Learn how wearing high heels throws your body off balance and can put you at risk. Plus, Dr. Oz reveals the best shoes and materials to wear to keep your feet, legs and back healthy.

High Heels & the Risk of Arthritis | The Dr. Oz Show

I don't know about the other women my age, but it's worth it.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Can you call a fashion designer a tailor?
I wouldnt think so, unless the tailor was designing the suits from the ground up.
When I used to go with my dad to his tailor here in the US, they were usually working from someone elses design.
Now, his tailor in England was a different story, he was a bespoke tailor, you know?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,211,258 times
Quote:
Stop trying to spoil this thread with off topic comments.........
The topic is shoes. You added the topic of cobblers. How are my posts off-topic? Are you annoyed that someone else knows more about shoes than you do? Or are you just touchy about people thinking you have a foot/shoe fetish? Really, fetishes aren't anything to be ashamed of unless it's something illegal. Feet/shoes are actually one of the more common one for men.

Personally I love shoes (I absolutely HEART Alexander McQueen shoes) and I do wear high heels from time to time. They've never caused me any damage though, because I don't wear them all the time. I've also hand-made many pairs of shoes for theater and also for historical reenactment, so I know a moderate bit about the subject. So to say I'm off topic in my contributions to this thread is disingenuous.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-21-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM

I really like the last two posts for some reason but I have reached my temporary rep limit with both of you.

I wish I was a tailor.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I really like the last two posts for some reason but I have reached my temporary rep limit with both of you.

I wish I was a tailor.
I am sure I am going to be scolded for taking this thread off-topic, but since the OP has another one just like it, oh well....
Watching a tailor at work is like watching an artist.
My grandmother could take a piece of fabric, lay it out on the dining room table, and without even using a pattern, cut out a dress, suit, or whatever. When she was done, the piece would look like something out of a high end department store, it was amazing to watch her.
And all done on an old treadle Singer that had been converted to electricity.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Effin magical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty