U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Fashion should be comfortable. Also if there are health related issues, which we now know about, it just makes it an unwise choice to wear daily. Special occasions are special for a reason.

I prefer a woman not wear heels if she does not have to. They might help lift certain places to look better, define the calves, make the foot look smaller, etc...but who wants that besides the person attempting to trick others?

Same with makeup. If you can tell it is on it is too much. Of course nothing wrong with getting fixed up for a special evening but again not for daily wear. Most of all though I prefer knowing what you get.

No one wants to take someone home to find out their face was fake or that great pair of legs is not so great. If you have it flaunt it, true, but if you do not have it do not fake it. Not all the time.

Fashion is about being comfortable, not faking it, and how can someone who is not happy with themselves ever feel comfortable? Self-confidence that is genuine without props might be the most attractive trait of all. And it shows!
This has to be the first time I have heard this statement. I have definitely heard "I sacrifice fashion in favor of comfortable clothing/shoes" but never that fashion is comfortable. The majority of the time, the most fashionable items are the least comfortable. High heels are the epitome of uncomfortable fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
This has to be the first time I have heard this statement. I have definitely heard "I sacrifice fashion in favor of comfortable clothing/shoes" but never that fashion is comfortable. The majority of the time, the most fashionable items are the least comfortable. High heels are the epitome of uncomfortable fashion.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,679,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I would say control top pantyhose with a fashionable leg are the epitome of uncomfortable fashion, (necessary for our cold winters) and I could also mention all those people I see running around with tight little jeans who show off their bikini panties because their pants are so low

Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I would say control top pantyhose with a fashionable leg are the epitome of uncomfortable fashion, (necessary for our cold winters) and I could also mention all those people I see running around with tight little jeans who show off their bikini panties because their pants are so low
Ugh, control top pantyhose......have a love/hate relationship with them!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,733,649 times
Quote:
This has to be the first time I have heard this statement. I have definitely heard "I sacrifice fashion in favor of comfortable clothing/shoes" but never that fashion is comfortable. The majority of the time, the most fashionable items are the least comfortable.
Let us be glad that fashion is not as uncomfortable as it used to be before the 1900's.

Quote:
Chanel firmly believed that women's clothing should be comfortable and functional.
Life And Style Of Coco Chanel

The following are select quotes from Coco Chanel. While she was not commenting on shoes per se the same applies.

Quote:
Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.

Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they must also be able to move, to get into a car without bursting their seams! Clothes must have a natural shape.
Coco Chanel Quotes

Quote:
"I wanted to give a woman comfortable clothes that would flow with her body. A woman is closest to being naked when she is well-dressed."

"There is nothing more comfortable than a caterpillar and nothing more made for love than a butterfly. We need dresses that crawl and dresses that fly. Fashion is at once a captapillar and a butterfly, caterpillar by day, butterfly by night"

"Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds."
Coco Chanel quotes

Quote:
High heels are the epitome of uncomfortable fashion.
Agreed. The ruining of feet for the sake of what some consider fashion is misguided. Walking good in old age is more fashionable than wearing heels in one's youth. Just my opinion though.

I empathize with my wife for it is difficult to find a comfortable pair of shoes that are elegant. I empathize because I have had some bad shoes and boots that hurt more than they should after a full day. It is worse with boots, for a guy, because one is always told they need to break them in, but after that period and your foot still hurts it is time to have them adjusted or tossed.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM

“A woman with good shoes is never ugly,” Coco Chanel used to say. “They are the last touch of elegance”. The iconic two–toned shoes designed by Coco Chanel more than fifty years ago, withstanding the test of time and trends, are still the timeless classic in the fashion world.

Chanel classic two-tone shoes | Designer Shoes

Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
“A woman with good shoes is never ugly,” Coco Chanel used to say. “They are the last touch of elegance”. The iconic two–toned shoes designed by Coco Chanel more than fifty years ago, withstanding the test of time and trends, are still the timeless classic in the fashion world.

Chanel classic two-tone shoes | Designer Shoes
Ahh, the beauty of Chanel. If I'd had a little girl I would have called her Chanelle or Elan, but I only got boys, which is fine. So I named my Great Pyrenees Chanelle. Beautiful, ladylike, a very regal and classic dog. When there is a will, there is a way

Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM

13 posts, read 27,777 times
I don't like high heels but i like UGG Boots on Sale - Cheap UGG Boots - UGG Boots Outlet ugg boots, comfortable to wear.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Ahh, the beauty of Chanel. If I'd had a little girl I would have called her Chanelle or Elan, but I only got boys, which is fine. So I named my Great Pyrenees Chanelle. Beautiful, ladylike, a very regal and classic dog. When there is a will, there is a way
I had a kitty named Coco many years ago!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I had a kitty named Coco many years ago!
Apparently, great minds think alike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty