Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
No disrespect intended but heels no higher the 2" won't do much harm. Just avoid the skyscraper 4" heels that really throw you entire body out of whack and you should do ok.
Uh, remember the gopher hole? (4 1/2 foot wedges they are). . I am into heels maybe once a week now, usually around 3 inches. Even I am not crazy to walk around on ice with heels (anymore). First snow today, so the sandals are gone probably until May, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree with the OP post. My grandmother, who grew up in the twenties and thirties, wore high heels her whole life. By the time she was 90, it was heart breaking, she was almost as crippled as those Chinese women who had their feet wrapped. Her feet were gnarled, arthritic, and she was in constant pain. She could barely walk at all. She never wore flip flops, tennis shoes, she always wore heels, the higher the better. She was sexy, true...but she paid dearly for that look.
If I live to be 90, I'll be thrilled. By the way the economy's going, I'll probably still be working. My Mom loved beautiful shoes, and as a young nurse in the 50's she walked back and forth to work (4 miles every day in heels). She is now in her 80's and her feet are also pretty knarly, although she doesn't have any difficulty walking.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Looking at todays high heels they look as if they would pitch you more foreward, i have to say from what i have seen most of the people wearing them don't walk very well, more stiff legged. Are they comfortable?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Fashion should be comfortable. Also if there are health related issues, which we now know about, it just makes it an unwise choice to wear daily. Special occasions are special for a reason.

I prefer a woman not wear heels if she does not have to. They might help lift certain places to look better, define the calves, make the foot look smaller, etc...but who wants that besides the person attempting to trick others?

Same with makeup. If you can tell it is on it is too much. Of course nothing wrong with getting fixed up for a special evening but again not for daily wear. Most of all though I prefer knowing what you get.

No one wants to take someone home to find out their face was fake or that great pair of legs is not so great. If you have it flaunt it, true, but if you do not have it do not fake it. Not all the time.

Fashion is about being comfortable, not faking it, and how can someone who is not happy with themselves ever feel comfortable? Self-confidence that is genuine without props might be the most attractive trait of all. And it shows!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Fashion should be comfortable. Also if there are health related issues, which we now know about, it just makes it an unwise choice to wear daily. Special occasions are special for a reason.

I prefer a woman not wear heels if she does not have to. They might help lift certain places to look better, define the calves, make the foot look smaller, etc...but who wants that besides the person attempting to trick others?

Same with makeup. If you can tell it is on it is too much. Of course nothing wrong with getting fixed up for a special evening but again not for daily wear. Most of all though I prefer knowing what you get.

No one wants to take someone home to find out their face was fake or that great pair of legs is not so great. If you have it flaunt it, true, but if you do not have it do not fake it. Not all the time.

Fashion is about being comfortable, not faking it, and how can someone who is not happy with themselves ever feel comfortable? Self-confidence that is genuine without props might be the most attractive trait of all. And it shows!
This from the same person that wants nurses to wear those horrid starched uniforms?
Really?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This from the same person that wants nurses to wear those horrid starched uniforms?
Really?
In the 50's heels and starched uniforms. My Mom is 4'10 and 90 lbs. and nursed in a hospital for people who were intellectually challenged and mentally ill. Everyone was in locked wards, and she remembers dragging around big heavy key rings and charts, in that lovely uniform and heels. She says it was a real killer between no a/c, the starch and the heels, and the workload 6 days on, 1 day off. She loves fashion, and at 82 she wouldn't be caught in anything starched.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
In the 50's heels and starched uniforms. My Mom is 4'10 and 90 lbs. and nursed in a hospital for people who were intellectually challenged and mentally ill. Everyone was in locked wards, and she remembers dragging around big heavy key rings and charts, in that lovely uniform and heels. She says it was a real killer between no a/c, the starch and the heels, and the workload 6 days on, 1 day off. She loves fashion, and at 82 she wouldn't be caught in anything starched.
My Mama got her nursing degree from Memphis Baptist in '56, she has always said the same things!
My mom would die these days before wearing anything starched, and she still loves her heels!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My Mama got her nursing degree from Memphis Baptist in '56, she has always said the same things!
My mom would die these days before wearing anything starched, and she still loves her heels!
Sounds like your Mama knows how to rock, kshe!!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
I have tons of heels but I don't wear them every day. I'm actually planning to donate or throw some of them away and keep the ones I wear. So, I think I'm ok...

Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Well flats being bad for your feet is news to me. So are heels. Should women walk barefooted?
Didn't you hear? Barefoot AND pregnant. Now get back in the kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty