U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM

34,761 posts, read 42,901,587 times

Advertisements

It's OK for teens whose feet are still growing, but now you should be going for leather and a few good pairs of shoes instead of a bunch of junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,022,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Payless in Canada has very poor quality shoes, so if the quality is poor in the States, then I can just imagine what we are getting up here. When I am in the States, I go to TJ Maxx, and check out sales. The other thing I do is to shop at the end of the season, and buy quality shoes at very reduced prices. If I get a few classic styles on sale with a few quirky styles, I am really thrilled. Oh, and because I tend to love shoes so much, I tend to shop for shoes all year. I have been called "Imelda" more than a few times!!
Imelda Marcos--I've been called that too. I used to love Payless as a young college student. I still have shoes I bought from there (They were decent then). After a while their shoes became uncomfortable for me/didn't last, and I stopped going there.

I love DSW. I shop for their clearance sales. I can find good shoes for 30-70% there.TJ Maxx and Marshall's, (while hit or miss) are also good places.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,513,210 times
Depends. If I'm buying a wardrobe staple, I'll buy from somewhere that uses a bit higher quality materials. If I'm getting something trendy that I know I'll wear a couple of times and by next season it'll be out of style, no way would I spend more than Payless charges.

Mostly I find discounted shoes at Kohl's, TJ Maxx, or Marshall's, but the latter two are always picked over i my size. I usually get my athletic shoes at Famous Footwear.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,610,324 times
They are fine if you don't plan on being on your feet for 8 hours a day. I have a few pairs of boots that have lasted close to 15 years, but I don't wear those very often. For shoes that I work in, I've gone about 5 years. But you can certainly feel the difference in shoe quality by spending a bit more money. Unless your co-workers pay a ridiculous amount of attention to shoes, I doubt anyone would really care.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 AM

44 posts, read 139,802 times
My dad used to go to buy sneakers for me at payless for like 5 years. Their quality I would say is bad. Those sneakers lasted only around 3-4 months. But hey they cost 20$ each(don't know how much they cost now).

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,748,015 times
lol @ Imelda Marcos, I also love history so when it comes together with fashion it is especially most interesting. Romanian women are also obsessed with shoes, a national obsession.

My wife was not satisfied with payless shoes in the 90's since the pairs she tried were not breathable at all and it was with more than one pair. Is this still an issue? With real leather shoes she has no problems.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,374,199 times
Definitely go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Payless shoe are hard, scratchy, and horribly uncomfortable, plus I just looked at their website and heels are about $25. You can most definitely buy shoes for that price at much better locations. Like the previous posters said, just keep an eye out for department store coupons and clearance racks. Check out Kohls too - they always have 20% coupons and they sell some nice brands like Aerosoles. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,690,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
lol @ Imelda Marcos, I also love history so when it comes together with fashion it is especially most interesting. Romanian women are also obsessed with shoes, a national obsession.

My wife was not satisfied with payless shoes in the 90's since the pairs she tried were not breathable at all and it was with more than one pair. Is this still an issue? With real leather shoes she has no problems.
I went there this summer with a friend who buys most of her shoes there. I tried a few pairs on and I noticed they were very uncomfortable. I didn't see any leather shoes at all. My friend is always complaining about how much her feet hurt, and I'm thinking that her choice in footwear may have alot to do with that.

I agree with the other posters on this thread, that one can buy much better quality shoes at discounted prices elsewhere that are more attractive and well fitting.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM

4,971 posts, read 14,031,639 times
Trying to find wide width shoes is a challenge. I do not want to buy online, I want to try them on first. Payless is one of very few places where I can find some wide width shoes to try on that won't cost me a fortune. Utah winters are bad on shoes/boots so I like knowing I didn't spend a lot and that I can throw them away at the end of the season.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,251,520 times
I think the prices are high for what you get - if you are a diligent deal getter you can find better quality for less - Marshalls comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty